GDT: July 1 - Free Agent Day

Status
Not open for further replies.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
If JT becomes available next off season, and he's willing to come here for 10M-11M x 7, would you guys do it? Probably means we have to ship out one of Marner or Nylander for a D, but also means we get a top 10 center in his prime to make multiple runs over the next 7 years.

I think I would do it, and seeing how Lou is handing out only 1 and 2 year deals, I think that is definitely in the back of his head. I really don't think JT is re-signing in NYI.

I don't think if Islanders are going to let him, most of our Leafs fans believed that the Stammer is not going to sign with TB but eventually he did

We should not really talk about JT at this stage until the time he does make his final decision not to resign with NYI, after another season you might not even think about trading either Mitch or William

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
You can front load the 3 year contract so it's not a cap issue in year 3.

The leafs are expected to be cup contenders sooner rather than later so it's a worthwhile gamble. Marleau can still score 30 goals.

no you can't. The cap is the same for all the years. If you're giving a guy say 15 over the years, no matter how you distribute the money the cap hit is gonna be 5, 5 and 5

AllDay28

Oct 15, 2015
no you can't. The cap is the same for all the years. If you're giving a guy say 15 over the years, no matter how you distribute the money the cap hit is gonna be 5, 5 and 5

maybe he means easier to trade to a cap floor team when its 1m final yr and 5 on cap

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
You can offer him 8M a year over 2 years and the cap hit is similar
That may help Marleau make his mind up

We still win because we get the assets from the trades for those two and I believe that team with Marleau is better

eh, i dont really mind 2 years and would pay more to keep it 2 years. @ years is perfect because the following season Matthews big shiny new contract will take affect and Marner will be getting a hefty raise. Its why i have no problem with hainsey.

Ill take your word on Marleau, i dont watch alot of sharks games and even the Leafs at sharks i dont see its always too late for me

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
maybe he means easier to trade to a cap floor team when its 1m final yr and 5 on cap

yeah thats true between the 1st year and final year it cant be more than 50% of the highest salary.

15M over 3 years you can do 6M,6M,3M the AAV is still 6M but a budget team will like that they only have to pay 3M and get 6M against the floor

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
So same d as last year except hun for hainsey

Not sure how I feel about that

You've been on this board since 2004, so you've been through this rodeo 13 times at least. You really think that after July 1st this is the team we're icing in October?

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
You've been on this board since 2004, so you've been through this rodeo 13 times at least. You really think that after July 1st this is the team we're icing in October?

I dont really care but reasoning is who of Reilly gardiner or zaitsev goes ?.....if what lou said is true

gravyface

Jun 22, 2010
yeah tomorrows game is going to be terrible with the same d except hainsey

I don't know, we've got a young group all getting better and better: I mean, look at Gardiner and Rielly in the playoffs when they were asked to step up, particularly with Polak getting hurt.

Gards was absolutely a force out there, Rielly a close second.

Dermott and Carrick is a solid 5/6 and Hainsey is going to be up and down the pairings, heavy PK.

No, we don't have that perfect #4 RHD, but it's still a serviceable D.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
I dont really care but reasoning is who of Reilly gardiner or zaitsev goes ?.....if what lou said is true

goes where?, lou said he was going to "try" to fix our top4. Im not sure i want to pay 1st and 2 2nds for hamonic who just had a pretty bad season, not too mention snow may have wanted more to keep him in the east. What other top4 RHD has been avaialble that we know of?

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
I don't know, we've got a young group all getting better and better: I mean, look at Gardiner and Rielly in the playoffs when they were asked to step up, particularly with Polak getting hurt.

Gards was absolutely a force out there, Rielly a close second.

Dermott and Carrick is a solid 5/6 and Hainsey is going to be up and down the pairings, heavy PK.

No, we don't have that perfect #4 RHD, but it's still a serviceable D.

yeah i was pointing out that today is july 1 and there are 3 months until the season opens

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
goes where?, lou said he was going to "try" to fix our top4. Im not sure i want to pay 1st and 2 2nds for hamonic who just had a pretty bad season, not too mention snow may have wanted more to keep him in the east. What other top4 RHD has been avaialble that we know of?

All im saying is lou said he sees hainsey as a top 4

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
All im saying is lou said he sees hainsey as a top 4

Hainsey is #4/#5 dman ideally he is your #5 but can handle top4. If lou is negotiating trades and knows in the back of his mind Hainsey is a kind of fail safe other teams wont be able to take advantage of him. We have 3 months before game 1, a lot can happen.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
He said he sees Hainsey playing a top 4 role for them. Not that he classifies as one. He just is what they are looking for as a fit in their top 4

And considering he played the second most minutes among D for the cup champs, is he necessarily wrong?

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
He said he sees Hainsey playing a top 4 role for them. Not that he classifies as one. He just is what they are looking for as a fit in their top 4

And considering he played the second most minutes among D for the cup champs, is he necessarily wrong?

You are right, Hainsey is definitely serviceable in the top 4 (proven as you mentioned in the playoffs). He is in my mind a good signing, because he can slide up and down the lineup, and still allows us to pursue better options for the top 4.

Sonny21

Registerd User
Oct 3, 2009
What on earth is McPhee doing. Retains 1.2 on Emelin yet only takes back 3rd? 2nd for Methot. Idk...

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

The minority of us said before this, stay the course and alternatively get small deals that make sense. Those of us who are down with that philosophy are down with management. Theae big splash people are hopeless and never learned from the past... It never works for Toronto.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad