GDT: July 1 - Free Agent Day

Status
Not open for further replies.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
If it makes you feel any better we could likely re-coup a 3rd rounder out of Moore if our season falls off a cliff :nod: sure we lost a 2nd rounder in a supposedly weak draft.. What's the big deal? We've traded for more picks then we've given away with marginal assets

At 1 million AAV many teams would line up to pick-up Moore

Quoted for truth

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
You'll have to get used to it. :)

This is going to be something the Leafs do at every trade deadline moving forward.

Oh, I've been a fan for 40 years.

I used to there being no patience amongst the fan base.

And yes, trading draft picks is something they do with regularity and it has worked out so well.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
****inf tired of people making up justifications for Boyle

You do realize Tampa nearly caught us with some of their best hockey of the season AFTER they traded him?

But Tampa didn't catch the Leafs.

Nashville almost won the Stanley Cup. Matthews almost scored the most goals in the NHL last year.

Why are you worrying about what could have been?

The Boyle trade helped the Leafs. It was 1 of 3 2nd round picks they had. It was a decent price.

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
Sad that you don't think this team could have made the playoffs on their own.

There is a scenario where they do... and still lose to Washington mind you... and keep the second round pick.

Again, Tampa stepped up their game without him. Imagine if they kept him? May not have been so close.

Maybe they make the playoffs without Boyle. I like that Lou and Babs are bringing in different vets for the kids to see how they all prepare day in and day out.

That **** is in valuable.

senor martinez

Komarov's cohonez
Oct 1, 2014
I'd argue the opposite.

Going back to SJS is easy. The longer it goes, it's more likely he's considering going elsewhere.

The Big Joe factor of him signing there is HUGE also with the sharks. San Jose is about the family with doug wilson: They might keep it together still and marleau & joe are really good friends. They might take discounts to just enjoy life, have fun and play hockey together again. They really like each other in san jose. It's not all about business there history proves it: Doug Wilson has brought players back even from retirement: Claude Lemieux didn't for almost 6 six years at all and Wilson brought him back just before the playoffs and FOR the playoffs. Lemieux played for the sharks one playoff game in their stint back then. There are others as well, resently joe, Brad Stuart. Bill Guerin, and many others. They keep it family.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
But Tampa didn't catch the Leafs.

Nashville almost won the Stanley Cup. Matthews almost scored the most goals in the NHL last year.

Why are you worrying about what could have been?

The Boyle trade helped the Leafs. It was 1 of 3 2nd round picks they had. It was a decent price.

Tampa went 8-1-1 over their last 10 without Boyle.

There is an opporunity cost of losing the asset.

Extremely notable 2nd round picks have turned into NHLers with long careers. Including PK Subban.

The pick is also a spent asset that cannot be used in a trade as the picks were last year for Andersen.

And mostly, we didn't need to do it.

Lot of junk talk about the value of experience but we don't know what will become of that or if missing the playoffs would be a stronger motivator going forward.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Maybe they make the playoffs without Boyle. I like that Lou and Babs are bringing in different vets for the kids to see how they all prepare day in and day out.

That **** is in valuable.

So are you willing to say that now that Boyle is gone we are at a disadvantage when it comes to prep?

If he was invaluable, there must be a downside now that he is gone?

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
I don't hate Polak.

Agree 1000% on Marincin.

I'll take heat for this, but people are far too hard him. He's was alright in 15/16. The player now has no confidence though. It also doesn't help he sat for long stretches of time then also got hurt as well.

Perhaps they move him on from here due to numbers now, but Babs has (or had at least) a high opinion of him for a reason.

Chandrashekhar Limit

From the runaway slave to a modern day king.
Apr 2, 2009
Milky Way
The Big Joe factor of him signing there is HUGE also with the sharks. San Jose is about the family with doug wilson: They might keep it together still and marleau & joe are really good friends. They might take discounts to just enjoy life, have fun and play hockey together again. They really like each other in san jose. It's not all about business there history proves it: Doug Wilson has brought players back even from retirement: Claude Lemieux didn't for almost 6 six years at all and Wilson brought him back just before the playoffs and FOR the playoffs. Lemieux played for the sharks one playoff game in their stint back then. There are others as well, resently joe, Brad Stuart. Bill Guerin, and many others. They keep it family.

All good points. Well I would say us being linked with Marleau has made this FA day one of the more intriguing ones in recent memory.

My predictions for tomorrow is Marleau re-signing in SJ, Radulov going to Dallas and Markov going back to Montreal.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta

Extremely notable 2nd round picks have turned into NHLers with long careers. Including PK Subban.

The pick is also a spent asset that cannot be used in a trade as the picks were last year for Andersen.

Lot of junk talk about the value of experience but we don't know what will become of that or if missing the playoffs would be a stronger motivator going forward.
You talk about the junk talk about value of experience, but rely on the junk talk that a 2nd round pick we gave up is going to turn into PK Subban?

You don't know any of what you are saying. You don't know that experience isn't valuable. You don't know what pick is going to turn into. You don't know whether we did or did not need to make that trade.

Glenn Isildur Healy

Oct 8, 2013
CBC Studios
Wait until we're a top team year in year out and are trading multiple picks every year at the deadline and off season to stay competitive/push us over the top. Some people will have to find a new team.

I think there will be a good balance

What you'll see more of is draft picks going out and draft picks coming in.

Draft picks going out from trading for rentals at the TDL and then draft picks coming in (similar to Chicago) because there are non core players we just can't afford and we'll trade them rather than having to pay them.

A1LeafNation

Oct 17, 2010
So are you willing to say that now that Boyle is gone we are at a disadvantage when it comes to prep?

We have more vets like Moore and Hainsey to help out.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
So Lou feels Moore is the perfect replacement for Boyle.

That's nice.

Who is the replacement for the 2nd round pick we gave up on the rental?

Rosen, and the other sweedish guy
pick one

geeze marie.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
You talk about the junk talk about value of experience, but rely on the junk talk that a 2nd round pick we gave up is going to turn into PK Subban?

You don't know any of what you are saying. You don't know that experience isn't valuable. You don't know what pick is going to turn into. You don't know whether we did or did not need to make that trade.

You are correct.

We don't know what the pick will turn into.

We don't know what, if any benefit there will be to getting beat in 6 by Washington.

We don't know whether they would have made it on their own without Boyle and whether that confidence boost would be significantly higher.

We don't know if missing the playoffs would have had an even stronger motivational impact since people have accomplished great things after learning from defeat or set backs.

So, it's impossible to conclude it's worth it just as you are saying it's impossible to reach a conclusion that the cost is too high.

Too many factors to play out.

I can however argue that to make a move that a "buyer" would and throw away an asset for a short stretch of games isn't a PRUDENT move for a rebuilding team given all of the unknowns.

And this also includes the moves not made at the deadline in order to chase 3 home playoff dates.

Glenn Isildur Healy

Oct 8, 2013
CBC Studios

You're 100% correct, Pookie

I hope this organization doesn't go down the road of unnecessarily trading draft picks for rentals. I have no problem doing this if we're close to contending for the cup and they're the cherry on top. I don't agree with trading an asset for a 4th line center who really wasn't a difference maker at the end of the day

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

extremely amazing hall of fame players have been undrafted.
we didn't need to do it, but the team explained while they felt it was important.

Tampa did well without Boyle
and we did well with him
and then we got a cheaper replacement - who wasn't available at the time

you have made it more than enough clear you don't buy the experience factor. everyone in hockey does so quite frankly it doesn't matter if you and I think it's junk - the players, management, and ownership of 31 teams do as do - like the majority of people who play sport.

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar
I still don't get what the thought process is. Thats a lot of talking from Lou without really saying anything :laugh:

except: Hainsey is envisioned to be playing top 4D role; that means we still need to look at 3rd pair with only Marincin/Marchenko there....

LOL

Lou common man give us at least something

An attempt to read the tea leaves.

The three amigos, sacrificed a 2nd round draft pick for a limited playoff push.

The three amigos had Bozak almost out the door, but Filipa did not want to come to Toronto, the point here was Bozak was being potentically traded not for prospects or nor picks.

The rumour of JVR + 1st round 2018 draft choice for Hamonic which was not enough to get it done.

Then yesterday a rumour of the Leafs interested in a couple of very old Sharks that Babcock likes.

Today, the signing of two free agents who are in their mid30's.

The three amigos will continue to preach patience.

Therefore, after reading these tea leaves, it is build through the draft, patience, and draft shmraft. Not necessarily in equal parts.

A1LeafNation

Oct 17, 2010
You're 100% correct, Pookie

I hope this organization doesn't go down the road of unnecessarily trading draft picks for rentals. I have no problem doing this if we're close to contending for the cup and they're the cherry on top. I don't agree with trading an asset for a 4th line center who really wasn't a difference maker at the end of the day

If we can figure out our core guys will be highly paid players, then Im sure management will figure it out.

How do you build around an expensive core, young cost controlled assets. How do you get young cost-controlled assets, you draft them.

Its that simple.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
That's not enough. We want all 30 second round picks because they will all turn in to PK Subban.

Or.... James Neal, Slava Kozlov, Patrick Elias, Patrice Bergeron, Ducan Keith, Adam Foote, Joe Nieuwendyk, Milan Lucic, Nicoli Kulemin, Derek Stepan, Paul Stastny, Justin Abdelkader, Marc Eduoard Vlasic, Mason Raymond, Adam McQuaid, Shea Weber, David Backes, Jimmy Howard, Jarret Stoll, Matt Greene, Juri Hudler, Johnny Boychuk, Matt Stajan, Tomas Fleischman,Nick Schultz, Antoinne Vermette, Ilya Bryzgalov, Tomas Kopecky, Tim Jackman, Mike Cammalleri, Chris Thorburn, Jason Pomminville, etc, etc ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad