News: Julius Honka has asked for a trade (did not get signed/traded before Dec 1st deadline)

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Some team should have given him a shot anyway... but now you get to being a week into some camps, I think it's pretty much game over for a player in Honka's position? He really should have just signed whatever QO Dallas offered him a lot sooner and come to camp trying hard and hoping to get waived. He has no leverage now, and all the other teams have moved too far in their internal processes to consider him. He just hasn't proven enough to waltz in after missing camp and get a spot anywhere. :dunno:

If Buff retires our defense is :

Morrissey - Niku? (played together last night)
Kulikov - Pionk?
Beaulieu - Poolman
Bitetto?

I don't care if we're two weeks into the regular season, we should be adding Honka to that d-core if it's as cheap as advertised. It's not like Laine Connor or Buff are in camp lol. RHD is a massive weakness in our prospect core. Niku's a lefty who can play and prefers his offside

I think the only thing holding Chevy back was cap issues, but if Buff retires we have more than enough space even without figuring out Laine/Connor

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Dallas has had Honka on the market for 6 months for a 3rd rounder. No one has taken that.

The Jets didn't have cap space. We literally iced a short roster for most of the year so we could add a deadline player. Buff retiring opens up a spot on the right side where we're weak and 7.5+ million in capspace. A tiny bit might go to Connor/Laine on top of remaining cap space but we might actually have space now.

We're rumored to be interested but I guess it waits until we see what Buff decides.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Quite frankly Honka not signing his QO was kind of dumb by him and also seems like a bad decision . If he did and showed up for camp the Stars would be forced to make a decision at the very latest when the roster has to be at 23 . Either waive him or keep a guy on the roster that the coach doesn't like and refuses to use.

Like this ? Stars couldn't care less what happens. Honka wasn't in the teams plans anyway. Either a trade comes along they are happy with or Honkas rights remain with the Stars and he can't play anywhere else in NA . Honka doesn't take a rosterspot or capspace so it doesn't matter to the team.

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
Quite frankly Honka not signing his QO was kind of dumb by him and also seems like a bad decision . If he did and showed up for camp the Stars would be forced to make a decision at the very latest when the roster has to be at 23 . Either waive him or keep a guy on the roster that the coach doesn't like and refuses to use.

Like this ? Stars couldn't care less what happens. Honka wasn't in the teams plans anyway. Either a trade comes along they are happy with or Honkas rights remain with the Stars and he can't play anywhere else in NA . Honka doesn't take a rosterspot or capspace so it doesn't matter to the team.

And if he gets waived and not picked up? Stuck in the AHL riding the bus making what? $80k?

serp

Jan 17, 2016
And if he gets waived and not picked up? Stuck in the AHL riding the bus making what? $80k?

And right now ? He doesn't get any money and the Stars are under no pressure to do anything unless something that seems agreeable comes along.

He stated himself anything but playing in NA is not an option for him right now and the way he handled it that is not a guarantee. Without his QO the Stars have no obligation to do anything especially since he wasn't in the teams plans anymore anyway.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I’d do a strait swap. Disappointment for disappointment.

I wouldn't . Perlini doesn't have any spot on the Stars either but he costs money. Honka does not. Stars are close to the cap . Like 900k capspace. Absolutely no point to spend that on a 4th liner we don't need.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I think the Jets might be waiting for Honka to go on waivers.

Yeah well then they'd be waiting for eternity. Honka has no contract so he's not getting waived.

Whoever trades for his rights also has to get him under contract because he refused to sign his QO . The way its currently playing out doesn't effect the Stars in the slightest.

Since the Stars are close to the Cap and the contract limit the Stars very likely do not want a contract back . Like at all.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Goldobin for Honka

Stars want no contract coming back they have to put somewhere how difficult to understand is that ? Too close to the contract and salary cap for that. Just a pick not a player we don't need.

If you don't want to trade a pick well no dice. Stars have no need for unneeded depth players from other teams.

Other teams my want to dump players but the Stars don't have to dump Honka. It doesn't matter one way or the other if Honka is traded or not. Thatswhy Honka just sitting out like that is strange. It doesn't put any pressure on the Stars to do anything .

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Stars want no contract coming back they have to put somewhere how difficult to understand is that ? Too close to the contract and salary cap for that. Just a pick not a player we don't need.

If you don't want to trade a pick well no dice. Stars have no need for unneeded depth players from other teams.

Other teams my want to dump players but the Stars don't have to dump Honka. It doesn't matter one way or the other if Honka is traded or not. Thatswhy Honka just sitting out like that is strange. It doesn't put any pressure on the Stars to do anything .

Sound good but nobody is going to give you a pick for a bust....if they really want to trade him, it's going to be my bust for your bust.

Every team has a Honka trying to make the team.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Sound good but nobody is going to give you a pick for a bust....if they really want to trade him, it's going to be my bust for your bust.

Every team has a Honka trying to make the team.

Yeah only Honka is a bust that doesn't cost the Stars anything and doesn't take up a rosterspot or counts towards the contract limit. So thats better than someone the team has to actually pay and put somewhere.

Honka can sit out the season for all i care if the only trades that are available are for players the Stars have no interest in. Its better for the team .

Reactions: DFF

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Its probably going to be a "future considerations" type of deal if Honka plays X games the Stars get a pick or something. Anything with a contract attached makes this a negative for the Stars. Sometimes nothing is preferable to something if that something is bad .

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2007
Australia
Seems really odd that a player so obviously not a big part of the team would not sign his qualifying offer. I think he's gotten some bad advice from his agent here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad