News: Julius Honka has asked for a trade (did not get signed/traded before Dec 1st deadline)

SharksCyclops

May 4, 2010
Bay Area
We'll take him.

Pretty embarrassing that some HFers don't know who he is.
The team that drafted him barely wants to remember him. Why should NHL fans know a player who has barely broken the league just cause he was drafted in the first round? I'd be more embarrassed by assuming every person on these boards should know every first rounder, especially if they barely see NHL ice time, it's so pretentious to be quite frank.

JJ68

Oct 5, 2017
I'm loving it. The league needs a little flavor and one team just openly trolling another any chance it gets is just the perfect pettiness to fill airwaves.

Opening night should be fun.

Carolina doing their damndest to acquire a rivalry with a big dog. It's cute.

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
If I'm the Leafs I do it. Regardless if he's an NHLer or not. The Marlies are probably going to need Dmen next year. If he can turn his game around yes, if not he can help develop other guys.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
If I'm the Leafs I do it. Regardless if he's an NHLer or not. The Marlies are probably going to need Dmen next year. If he can turn his game around yes, if not he can help develop other guys.

You'd have to waive him to play on the Marlies and i would think someone takes him if he has to go through waivers.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
You'd have to waive him to play on the Marlies and i would think someone takes him if he has to go through waivers.
Exactly. But at the same time, he may be worth a roll of the dice for the Leafs as the 7th D. Dermott is hurt and the third pairing is up for grabs and one of two rookies; Liljegren or Sandin, may take one spot but not both.

Reactions: TimeZone

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Exactly. But at the same time, he may be worth a roll of the dice for the Leafs as the 7th D. Dermott is hurt and the third pairing is up for grabs and one of two rookies; Liljegren or Sandin, may take one spot but not both.

You also have to convince him to sign a contract first. If the role is just riding the pine mostly i'm not sure how happy he would be about that and sign. He could've done that with the Stars and chose to not even sign his QO .

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
You also have to convince him to sign a contract first. If the role is just riding the pine mostly i'm not sure how happy he would be about that and sign. He could've done that with the Stars and chose to not even sign his QO .
I get it. But he'd have a legit chance as making it on the third pairing here. He'd probably be the #6 tbh.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Kind of weird how in recent years first round busts have started to ask for trades
why wouldnt a bust want to be moved if it means a career for them if they end up rebounding .

I dont care about that if people arent lindrossing themselves imo .

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Colorado could use another RHD in the depth chart as the LHD/RHD split is quite unbalanced.

Sakic also likes reclamation projects (eg. Yakupov, Grigorenko, Nichuskin, Burakovsky, etc) so could see there being an interest.

LHD ---------- RHD

Girard -------- Makar
Zadorov ------ Johnson
Cole ----------- Timmins
Byram -------- Honka
Connauton --- Alt
Barberio ------ Meloche
Graves -------- Hellesson
Rosén
MacDonald
Lindholm
Zhuravlyov
Leivermann

Would Dallas consider Barberio for Honka?

From Dallas' perspective they get a capable No.6/7 guy for a prospect who hasn't panned out.

Colorado have a gluttony of LHD's so it might be better to trade Barberio rather than risk losing for nothing through waivers, and picking up a RHD with some upside would improve the balance on the defensive depth chart.

Last edited:

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Stars don't really want any actual player back if it can be avoided. We're at 48 contracts . Honka has low value sure but that doesn't mean Stars would take back things they don't have any use for. They're also pretty close to the cap so if there's more money involved that move has to wait until Hanzal is on LTIR .

Honka not signing is QO is actually good for the Stars . Teams can't just wait until he's put on waivers and pick him up for free.

A move will be made that makes sense for the team and the player .

shello

Mar 5, 2011
MTL/NYC
Sometimes all you need is change (or a chance). Worked out for Dylan Strome.

Oh I 100% agree and don't think anything negative of the player wanting out. Just found it interesting how it's more prevalent now than in recent years.

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
But what kind of contract does he ask for?

Has everybody forgotten a real cheap offer-sheet is, well, real cheap?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00