News: Julius Honka has asked for a trade (did not get signed/traded before Dec 1st deadline)

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
I love it when The Honkler rears his head. I am sad that he won't be playing in the NHL, depriving me of the opportunity to reference the Honkler daily.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Is the deadline delayed by one day, because 1st dec was sunday?
Yes. The applicable parts from the CBA are posted in the JP thread; the deadline moves to the next business day.

Today 5 pm ET; T minus 7.5 hours.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Yes. The applicable parts from the CBA are posted in the JP thread; the deadline moves to the next business day.

Today 5 pm ET; T minus 7.5 hours.

Are you sure?

I mean it wouldn't be the first time that every major sports network was wrong, but they all had the deadline set as yesterday since, well, that's what the calendar indicated. :help:

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Are you sure?

I mean it wouldn't be the first time that every major sports network was wrong, but they all had the deadline set as yesterday since, well, that's what the calendar indicated. :help:
In my legal opinion, the CBA clauses on the matter are very clear.

They even applied the Sunday rule to the NHLPA CBA termination day this fall, even though the initial deadline date stated in the CBA, Sept 15, 2019, was a unique date which they should have known to fall on Sunday when they initially set it. This being the case, I don't see how RFA signing deadline Dec 1st wouldn't move to the next business day in the years it falls on Sunday.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven

They even applied the Sunday rule to the NHLPA CBA termination day this fall, even though the initial deadline date stated in the CBA, Sept 15, 2019, was a unique date which they should have known to fall on Sunday when they initially set it. This being the case, I don't see how RFA signing deadline Dec 1st wouldn't move to the next business day in the years it falls on Sunday.
Eh, July 1st has fallen on a weekend before, and it's not like the league backed up free agency to begin the next Monday those years.

The deadline was yesterday.

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham

The deadline falling on a weekend is meaningless as the NHL is a 24/7 business... not a Monday to Friday, 9-5 one!

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Eh, July 1st has fallen on a weekend before, and it's not like the league backed up free agency to begin the next Monday those years.

The deadline was yesterday.
July 1 is not a Free Agency starting date per se, but the starting day of the whole frigging League Year and and as such it's also the first day following the expiry of the SPCs set to expire on that particular year. It's likely it's stated somewhere explicitly that League Year is from July 1 to June 30 regardless of weekdays the dates fall on, which means it's excluded from the "Sunday rule" in CBA 31.3.

Meanwhile, Dec 1 has no other relevance except the deadline RFA signings. I'm not even sure if the NHL Central Registry has people there on Sunday to validate the SPCs/trades sent there at the deadline, so the logistics alone may warrant it moving to the next business day.

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
The deadline falling on a weekend is meaningless as the NHL is a 24/7 business... not a Monday to Friday, 9-5 one!

I'm not inventing this crap up, it's in the CBA:

31.3 Time Periods. Unless expressly stated to the contrary, the specification of any time period in this Agreement shall include any non-business days within such period, except that any deadline falling on a Saturday, Sunday, or Federal, Provincial or Civil Holiday shall be deemed to fall on the following business day.

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
That's all really nice, but you're still wrong. The deadline was yesterday.

Here's an article from the NHL's own media people discussing how the deadline came and went. This was written by NHL employees.

Puljujarvi, Honka miss contract deadline, can't play in NHL this season
Apparently so. But in this case it is ridiculous that they did apply the rule to the very unique NHLPA deadline date to terminate the CBA early on Sept 15, 2019 (Sunday) and moved it to Monday 16th.

I wouldn't say very short article by an NHL media employee is a convincing evidence, btw. The goddamn rule is in the same CBA where their precious deadline day is, and the hack of a reporter is blatantly disregarding it.

I still claim: had there been a SPC of Pulju or Honka sent to CR to be registered today before 5 pm, they would have accepted it.

Last edited:

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
The entire hockey media world isn’t publishing articles, including articles with quotes from people who would know better, talking about the deadline passing yesterday if the deadline was actually today. Not sure why you’re so dug in on this.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Doesn't matter anyway whether it was yesterday or today - he wasn't traded.

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
The entire hockey media world isn’t publishing articles, including articles with quotes from people who would know better, talking about the deadline passing yesterday if the deadline was actually today. Not sure why you’re so dug in on this.
I quoted the actual rules in the actual CBA. I'm not at all sure if people in differing opinion actually know better. It's easy to get hung up on "Dec 1".

If, as it seems to be, EDM and DAL were set on not trading JP and Honka this time, the deadline being Monday Dec 2 instead of Sunday Dec 1 is a mere technicality of which they or anyone didn't need to be interested on.

Who knows, if they were getting a lot of crappy insulting "offers" nearing the deadline, they possibly even were happy to publicly note that yeah Dec 1st 5 pm has gone, you can stop calling now, and the folks in the hockey media just wanted to get their RFA deadline articles done because the other people in hockey media will go by the Dec 1 date anyway and your article would be a day late. Hockey media generally isn't so into the nuances in the CBA.

I'm not really "dug in on this". It's just that the issue came up, and when the CBA says one thing, I'd like something better than a million flies to convince me of the opposite.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
I quoted the actual rules in the actual CBA. I'm not at all sure if people in differing opinion actually know better. It's easy to get hung up on "Dec 1".

If, as it seems to be, EDM and DAL were set on not trading JP and Honka this time, the deadline being Monday Dec 2 instead of Sunday Dec 1 is a mere technicality of which they or anyone didn't need to be interested on.

Who knows, if they were getting a lot of crappy insulting "offers" nearing the deadline, they possibly even were happy to publicly note that yeah Dec 1st 5 pm has gone, you can stop calling now, and the folks in the hockey media just wanted to get their RFA deadline articles done because the other people in hockey media will go by the Dec 1 date anyway and your article would be a day late. Hockey media generally isn't so into the nuances in the CBA.

I'm not really "dug in on this". It's just that the issue came up, and when the CBA says one thing, I'd like something better than a million flies to convince me of the opposite.

Well certainly the fact that not one media outlet carried the story on Monday, or posted updates about the "real" deadline, maybe that was an indication?

I mean I can see how there are quite a few members of the hockey media who are pesky and annoying, much like flies, but their resounding silence on this issue on Monday might be an indicator that maybe the league actually did go by December 1st and not the 2nd as you seem to insist.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad