News: Julius Honka has asked for a trade (did not get signed/traded before Dec 1st deadline)

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
Stars want no contract coming back they have to put somewhere how difficult to understand is that ? Too close to the contract and salary cap for that. Just a pick not a player we don't need.

If you don't want to trade a pick well no dice. Stars have no need for unneeded depth players from other teams.

Other teams my want to dump players but the Stars don't have to dump Honka. It doesn't matter one way or the other if Honka is traded or not. Thatswhy Honka just sitting out like that is strange. It doesn't put any pressure on the Stars to do anything .
You will probably lose him to waivers

serp

Jan 17, 2016
You will probably lose him to waivers

No Stars won't for crying out loud . You don't have to waive someone without a contract. Since Honka didn't sign his QO the Stars don't have to do anything . His rights expire in a couple of years but i doubt Honka wants to wait that long.

Dynamite Time

Where Is My Mind?
Jan 23, 2018
Austin, TX
There’s only two outcomes here.

1. A team is interested enough in him to trade a draft pick/conditional draft pick for him.
2. He goes and plays in Europe.

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
Would y'all consider Jankowski for Honka? Works cap wise. Jankowski is a young former first round pick center. Great on the pk and used to playing in the bottom six. His ahl stint suggests offensive upside but he just doesnt fit with Calgary. Big guy too.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Would y'all consider Jankowski for Honka? Works cap wise. Jankowski is a young former first round pick center. Great on the pk and used to playing in the bottom six. His ahl stint suggests offensive upside but he just doesnt fit with Calgary. Big guy too.

No it does not work capwise. Honka costs 0$ right now , Jankowski costs 1.675$ Million . Stars have 970,001$ in capspace . Jankowski isn't a bad player it just doesn't make any sense to take a contract back that doesn't signficantly improve the team . The Stars are really close to the salary cap and the contract limit. This is why the team wants some form of future assets for Honka. There's no place for anything else really. If thats not available we'll just keep his right and move on with the season.

Doesn't matter to the team if he's traded or not.

Als didn't Jankowski come off a pretty good year with the Flames ? I think the Flames like the guy right now and wouldn't trade him for a questionmark like Honka .

Last edited:

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
No it does not work capwise. Honka costs 0$ right now , Jankowski costs 1.675$ Million . Stars have 970,001$ in capspace . Jankowski isn't a bad player it just doesn't make any sense to take a contract back that doesn't signficantly improve the team . The Stars are really close to the salary cap and the contract limit. This is why the team wants some form of future assets for Honka. There's no place for anything else really. If thats not available we'll just keep his right and move on with the season.

Doesn't matter to the team if he's traded or not.

Als didn't Jankowski come off a pretty good year with the Flames ? I think the Flames like the guy right now and wouldn't trade him for a questionmark like Honka .
We need more cap room to try and sign tkachuk and could use some nhl level depth on d. Janko is fine but we have cheaper guys who could replace him while theres not much room for him to move up in our lineup.

My bad on the cap as I thought honka had some form of hit on your cap right now.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Do you guys have cap dumps? lol we have tons of space

Interested in a $4,750,000 Martin Hanzal ( expires after this year ) or a $2,350,000 Stephen Johns ( for this and next year ) who both won't play again ( Hanzal is 100% done Johns is not looking good either ) ? Thats the only thing we have to dump.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Interested in a $4,750,000 Martin Hanzal ( expires after this year ) or a $2,350,000 Stephen Johns ( for this and next year ) who both won't play again ( Hanzal is 100% done Johns is not looking good either ) ? Thats the only thing we have to dump.
Personally I just want honka, so id prob be fine with something around either.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Cogliano is another easily replaceable piece to dump as is Oleksiak, and Janmark,

All could be replaced internally with cheaper (in most cases better) players that would suck just as much (or slightly less) than they do

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Cogliano is another easily replaceable piece to dump as is Oleksiak, and Janmark,

All could be replaced internally with cheaper (in most cases better) players that would suck just as much (or slightly less) than they do

I have no idea what your gripe with Cogliano is . He was traded for because he's an high effort guy who never takes a game or even a shift off and is a guy young players can look at how someone has to change his game to have a long career as a 3rd liner. I've watched interviews with some of the guys send to Cedar Park and several talked about how Cogliano showed them some streches to do while warming up and all kinds of things.

He had a bit of a down year last season but guy has been a very consistent player for 10 seasons.

Don't see what your problem with Cogliano is . He was also pretty good in the playoffs just like that whole third line.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kcb12345

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad