Confirmed with Link: Julien Gauthier to NYR for Joey Keane

hurricure

Sr Vice President of Snacking
Oct 8, 2016
Trail BC
not our prospect anymore...it will hurt too much if he does well. I hope Forslund gets him with a blow dart from the upper deck....and i hope his mom isnt hot

Reactions: geehaad

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
I love fountains of wayne but had to come around to what they actually sounded like, as I expected albums full of Cars- lite like Stacy's Mom was and was initially disappointed.

Reactions: DaveG

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I don't particularly care if he does well or not. Not really rooting for or against him other than he a Ranger so I'll root against him in that regard. I didn't have much use for him, he's gone now, so whatever will be will be.
Gaut sera, sera.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
This is an interesting take that makes me feel somewhat better.

Still, I was looking forward to having a guy in the forward corps that could really lay people out. That's an element we have lacked, and now still lack.

it's funny how that works, because i think one of the major objections that this group had about gauthier was that he played too much of a skill game. he's 6'4" and sculpted from marble, but he uses that size more in the offensive end in puck protection than he does elsewhere. it reminds me of the things people used to say about classifying eric staal as a powerforward. those that watched him with any regularity knew that was farcical, but getting off the bus he certainly looked the part. gauthier strikes me as the same. he probably dialed it up a bit for preseason, but that isn't his baseline expectation. there was always something about gauthier's game that reminded me of a lower rent version of anthony mantha. the size is a bit deceptive in both cases and gauthier doesn't have mantha's shot, but i think it tracks. detroit tried their hardest to get him to be a dominant force all over the ice in grand rapids but it never took and they just gave up on it and let his skill play. that's probably the stage we have arrived at with gauthier, but that wasn't sufficient when you look at the group he was competing against for ice in a brind'amour system. he's not going to supplant mcginn, foegele, martinook, etc. who play styles that brind'amour adores in favor of a couple of extra wows per game.

if you're looking for a degree of nasty, please direct your eyes towards a one jamieson rees. he has been described as the motor to every line he has ever played on and he has a fire for physical contact that burns hot enough that he's had trouble regulating it in the past. a lot of the top hitters in the game now aren't the imposing towers of power, but rather the guys quick enough to get there consistently with bad intentions. it's just another evolution of the concept that if you can't skate you can't play, and if you can't get to the puck carrier while he still has the puck you can't hit him. looking at the price that blake coleman was just traded for, you can see how much of a valued commodity that type of player can be. coleman is among the league leaders in hits and has 20 goals already this season. the biggest critics of that trade don't seem to have any awareness of how rare that combination of skills is to find. coleman himself took until he was 24-25 until he rounded out his complete game to get there. rees is already ahead of that pace in my opinion and could be ready to contribute in two seasons.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
That tweet makes me feel happy he is getting his shot. I wish that shot wasn't in the Metro, but I hope he does well there regardless. By all accounts he had been a reliable hardworking soldier for Charlotte so he has earned it.

One of the best Checkers players I've ever seen.

I wish the best as well, but it sucks it won't be here.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Maybe he'll take it easy on us..sounds like he's found his new home and is delighted about it.

Meanwhile, hardly a peep from our organization about our latest hidden gem.

I don’t read anything into the Canes not commenting. Clearly Gauthier is older and closer to the NHL. The guy that they acquired is further off.

Last edited:

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
Well yeah... the whole thing is a blatant unapologetic ripoff of the Cars, it makes sense there'd be more 80s references. They had just made some nice bank off of blatant unapologetic ripoffs of early Beatles for That Thing You Do!, they probably thought they'd keep a good thing going

Reactions: DaveG

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Well yeah... the whole thing is a blatant unapologetic ripoff of the Cars, it makes sense there'd be more 80s references. They had just made some nice bank off of blatant unapologetic ripoffs of early Beatles for That Thing You Do!, they probably thought they'd keep a good thing going
I’ve always been a fan of “Hackensack”. I can’t believe Im saying this but Katy Perry does an unplugged version of it that actually worked for me.

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
Hackensack is a good one. Valley Winter Song is another one from that album I find myself coming back to a lot. I think the more subdued sound is really where they shine although they obviously can do chunkier/riffier when they want to

Reactions: bleedgreen

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad