Confirmed with Link: Julien Gauthier to NYR for Joey Keane

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
All true, but in fairness, it's been a long time since we've had "legit" NHLrs throughout the line-up that need to be "beat out". Beating out Brent, Conboy, Bayda (later years), Nestrasil, Brookbank, Bowman, etc.. isn't any big feat. Warts and all, having Haula and Dzingel on our 3rd line and Martinook, Williams/McGinn on the 4th line makes it exceedingly more difficult to beat out a vet for a spot.

For years, we lamented about rushing guys and wanting the "Detroit" model where we let guys percolate until they are ready. Now that guys are percolating, many seem not to like it.

I have no problems with how Rod is operating. He's shown he'll play young guys as needed and when he does, he'll give them important minutes. But he also expects certain things and if the young guy doesn't do those things, he won't play.
I don’t disagree, but we’ve had guys over the last two seasons put up years that would’ve gotten guys looks on other teams. I’m a big fan of the “percolating”, but there has to be a transition point too. Something to me happened with Rod and Goat and I think it cost him his Canes career. There’s something about that I don’t like. Dad needs to step in there maybe. He played well enough to get more of a look than he did I think. Even if he didn’t work out, and I’m not saying he would. You’re right we’ve made the right choices but there should still be occasional call ups. Rod isn’t going to sit McGinn or Marty for a kid, even though he should for a game or two just to give the team some fresh blood. We get stale when it’s the same guys all season.

Bean should be getting a small audition. It’s not that big a deal to work a kid in for a game or two. Guys are banged up. Give them a night off. Our d hasn’t been great anyways, it’s not like working Bean in would disrupt any chemistry.

I don’t think he’s shown he’ll play young guys really at all. He does when injuries leave him no choice or we just flat out have a hole to fill with no vets available. If Doug was back tomorrow Fleury would be out tomorrow, despite being the fourth best guy imo.

Necas and Svech are poor examples. They’re the core we’re building around. They were never going to percolate very long. I’m sure Rod was told he was going to have to find a way to play Necas this year, and with the kids skill level Rod was more willing to figure that out and make sure the kid gets the right coaching defensively.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I don’t disagree, but we’ve had guys over the last two seasons put up years that would’ve gotten guys looks on other teams. I’m a big fan of the “percolating”, but there has to be a transition point too. Something to me happened with Rod and Goat and I think it cost him his Canes career. There’s something about that I don’t like.

You and I don't know what it is that happened or why Rod didn't want to trust him. It's fine if you don't like it, but last year, a lot of people didn't like that Rod didn't like Saarela, and in the end, it looks like Rod was right. Maybe Goat will be a successful NHLr elsewhere, but also maybe this is what woke him up (we'll never know).

I don't think Rod can do no wrong, but I think we only see a small portion of what goes on and are quick to call the coach into question.

Reactions: Vagrant

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Necas and Svech are poor examples. They’re the core we’re building around. They were never going to percolate very long. I’m sure Rod was told he was going to have to find a way to play Necas this year, and with the kids skill level Rod was more willing to figure that out and make sure the kid gets the right coaching defensively.

True,. but when other guys make it (Foegele and Wallmark), posters make other excuses as to why they are also "poor examples".

Fact of the matter is, we have a very young team with 4-5 rookies over the past 2 years. Any more than that seems optimistic to me.

That said, of all the guys, I'd like to see Bean to get a chance.

vorbis

bunch of likes
Feb 9, 2013
YTZ
Somehow, Necas, Foegele, and Wallmark escaped they prison, even on one of the youngest teams in the league.

The last guy to complain about the prospect “prison”, was Saarela and come to find out, Chicago didn’t want him and Florida put him right back in the AHL.

Carrick? Ahler in San Jose.
Saarela? Ahler in Florida
Poturalski? Ahler in San Diego
Roy? Back in the AHL in Chicago (vgn)
Brown? Ahler in Chicago.
Jurco? Yep, AHL.

Maybe these guys aren’t in “prospect prison”, maybe they aren’t as good as we like to think or the Canes know better than we do how long they need to percolate.
it's time for the percolator
it's time for the percolator

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
You and I don't know what it is that happened or why Rod didn't want to trust him. It's fine if you don't like it, but last year, a lot of people didn't like that Rod didn't like Saarela, and in the end, it looks like Rod was right. Maybe Goat will be a successful NHLr elsewhere, but also maybe this is what woke him up (we'll never know).

I don't think Rod can do no wrong, but I think we only see a small portion of what goes on and are quick to call the coach into question.
I get it. Side note, I never thought Saarela was a legit prospect, I wasn’t one of those who thought he should’ve been given a better chance to be honest. Never thought he skated well enough. I haven’t questioned them moving on from the young guys that they have, though I did want to at least see them play a few games. I don’t think Goat is going on to greatness, though I do think he could useful and wanted to see him play more. I also think he could’ve brought something we lack. I didn’t think Roy was gonna be a star, but again I wanted to see more of him before he moved on.

doomscroll

Jan 15, 2018
This logic just doesn't hold up. If so, then why did NYR make it?

There's simply no way the NYR are going to make this trade -- inside the division -- if they think there's *any* chance of Keane being an impact player. They have to be 100 percent certain they're not sending a potential all-star to a division rival, just like we would have to be in sending Gauthier the other way.

I'm convinced this is not about value. There's got to be something else. Maybe Gauthier demanded a trade (but that still rings hollow, because there are other deals that I'm certain could have been made), maybe it's about expansion protection, maybe a potential trade partner mentioned they covet Keane, I don't know. But I suspect Priskie, Kaski or Keane have been asked about in a trade.

But this is a very dangerous deal within the division *for both clubs* if either player hits their ceiling.

(I’m a Rangers fan)
The Rangers currently have Trouba, DeAngelo, and Fox as impact RHD’s, along with Nils Lundkvist performing very well in the SHL and on the Swedish national team. Keane was ultimately the odd-man-out in a rare area of strength, it doesn’t necessarily speak to his value as a player that he was traded from a rebuilding team. He could very-well become a top-four RHD, but that is not what the Rangers need in the near future.

The Stranger

May 4, 2014
Nice move. Fair swap value-wise. Canes get a waiver/expansion exempt guy as has been pointed out.

Apologies if this has already been covered in the previous pages, but I think this is an org depth chart move.

TVR is a UFA, Dougie has a broken twig and is just a few months from contract negotiations.

Hopefully they can reach a fair contract with Hamilton...but, makes sense to be prepared for a worst case scenario.

They'll most likely be looking for at least one RHD to grab a spot on the big club next year. They now have Priskie and Keane in the stable...and I suppose they could re-sign Kaski and/or McKeown. Competition is good.

Best of luck to Goat.

Reactions: Tryamw

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
True,. but when other guys make it (Foegele and Wallmark), posters make other excuses as to why they are also "poor examples".

Fact of the matter is, we have a very young team with 4-5 rookies over the past 2 years. Any more than that seems optimistic to me.

That said, of all the guys, I'd like to see Bean to get a chance.
You think I’m making excuses about Wallmark and Foegele? Who did they beat out? We had traded Skinner, Lindy, let go of Ryan when we were short a top nine guy or two in the first place. For Wallmark we had Aho who had never played center in the NHL before and Staal. I like that they both made it and like that Waddell left some holes for the kids to come up. I’m glad it happened but Rod had no choice with either one. Or Svech for that matter. He’s good at making them play good defense, everyone has to do that. Rod is clearly more comfortable with vets though.

I don’t think I want more rookies permanently right now, like you with Bean I’d just like to see more callups in general where guys get a couple of games.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
(I’m a Rangers fan)
The Rangers currently have Trouba, DeAngelo, and Fox as impact RHD’s, along with Nils Lundkvist performing very well in the SHL and on the Swedish national team. Keane was ultimately the odd-man-out in a rare area of strength, it doesn’t necessarily speak to his value as a player that he was traded from a rebuilding team. He could very-well become a top-four RHD, but that is not what the Rangers need in the near future.

I get what you're saying, and I know why the Rangers felt they could deal Keane. But if Rangers' management really thought this guy was a top-four d-man in the making, they'd have traded him out of the conference, let alone the division.

Reactions: Tryamw

doomscroll

Jan 15, 2018
I get what you're saying, and I know why the Rangers felt they could deal Keane. But if Rangers' management really thought this guy was a top-four d-man in the making, they'd have traded him out of the conference, let alone the division.

TBF, Gorton made the Rangers’ first-ever trade with the Devils, and has sent impact players to multiple teams within the conference. He doesn’t seem to regard geography all that much in his transactions.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
You think I’m making excuses about Wallmark and Foegele? Who did they beat out? We had traded Skinner, Lindy, let go of Ryan when we were short a top nine guy or two in the first place. For Wallmark we had Aho who had never played center in the NHL before and Staal. I like that they both made it and like that Waddell left some holes for the kids to come up. I’m glad it happened but Rod had no choice with either one. Or Svech for that matter. He’s good at making them play good defense, everyone has to do that. Rod is clearly more comfortable with vets though.

I don’t think I want more rookies permanently right now, like you with Bean I’d just like to see more callups in general where guys get a couple of games.

Maybe not excuses, but I think posters on HF like to complain about prospects not getting a fair shot. Was the same under Maurice, Peters/Francis, and now this admin. Whether they beat out a vet or not is kind of irrelevant to me. There were spots open and those guys stepped up and took them. Canes could have made trades or gone to the waiver wire if those guys didn't step up like they did.

You said there are guys that deserved a look the past 2 years. Who deserved a look that didn’t get one?

last year, the Canes were the 2nd or 3rd best team in the NHL from Dec on. Why would any AHL guy deserve a look when the NHL team is playing so well with the guys on the team? Even so, during the seasons, Roy got a few (6) games look and Kuokkanen got 7, Zykov got 13, Bishop got 20, Maenalanen got 34, Necas got 7. Even Bean got 2. Who else deserved a couple games look?

And the guys we moved on from are all AHLrs on their new teams.

this year, while a case could be made for Goat, it’s by no mean a slam dunk and he did get 5 games, as did Bishop and Luostarinen got 7. Sure, some NHL guys aren’t playing well, but Carolina has 13 NHL forwards and some guys did get a few game look even with that.

It just seems to me that it’s much ado about nothing. Maybe Gauthier will make the most of his chances in NY and good for him if he does.

I don't doubt he may have asked for a trade though. I'm sure he feels he's NHL caliber and if there's no room in Carolina, then it makes sense.

Last edited:

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site

i found this while looking for some game tape of him and it's a really good breakdown of his game. the clip from 1:37 forward is just stupid level skating. plain silly. the straight line speed is one thing, but look at the wiggle. transitioning to back skating, turning to create lanes... he's great on his edges. it's so important for an offensive defenseman now to have that push off the boards and those crossover steps to get to the middle of the ice before the lane closes off. when i was talking about how the leafs were using the 1-3-1 powerplay and how the high man needed certain qualities, many of them you'll find here. tyson barrie might be a good comparable.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Or they took the best deal they were offered for him, which was Gauthier?

There was some speculation the Rangers were interested in Gauthier in the early fall, so he must have been on their radar for some time.

hurricure

Sr Vice President of Snacking
Oct 8, 2016
Trail BC
Rangers fan here, were his sock tape jobs always this bad? WOAT
its something the canes have been working hard to correct...might be the main reason they traded him as it never seemed to sink in, ive always believed it was the sock taping skills that was going to hold him back..i sure hope he can pull it together with the Rags...seems like a great guy

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
JG looks good in blue. Might even get a shift or two with Panarin this week, too. What a turn of events for him..I bet he's loving life.

That tweet makes me feel happy he is getting his shot. I wish that shot wasn't in the Metro, but I hope he does well there regardless. By all accounts he had been a reliable hardworking soldier for Charlotte so he has earned it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad