Player Discussion Jujhar Khaira

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Understood, I’m not good at proposals, just saying to me this will be the best timing we’ll ever have.
I don’t see this play being sustainable. Similar to Chiasson ever getting to 20 goal’s again.
You gents are smarter than me about another team’s players. I would strike while the iron’s hot.

Separate note: Mike Grier was just a beauty. I can’t ever recall hearing after a game “You can tell Grier took the night off” which to me is one of the greatest compliments a player could have for their career.

I get what you're saying, I just don't want to move him on the cheap in the event that he has finally rounded the corner in his career into being a consistent player. I certainly don't expect him to keep up this kind of offense in his role, but if the effort remains consistent then that would be great.

Reactions: Bobieque

Wewillrise

Jul 25, 2015
He’s always been a slow started from what I can remember, solid PKer, tough, flashy soft mitts every once and a while.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
I get what you're saying, I just don't want to move him on the cheap in the event that he has finally rounded the corner in his career into being a consistent player. I certainly don't expect him to keep up this kind of offense in his role, but if the effort remains consistent then that would be great.
Why do we always talk about moving players when they start doing good? lmfao

Reactions: Mav3rick07

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Why do we always talk about moving players when they start doing good? lmfao

I understand why in this case because he has been extremely inconsistent and the concern is that he will fall back into old habits. That said I would give him the benefit of the doubt one last time since his trade value won't be that high anyway IMO.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
According to Tipp and a couple of the boys he was looking better at the first intermission and has been around the arena and looking better since he went down. Day to day and might be an option tonight, though I'd guess next game.

Injury to Oilers' Jujhar Khaira highlights dangers of fighting | Edmonton Sun

Turris came off Covid protocol today, meaning at least one demotion (likely Russell), Kassian looks close (another demotion possibly Shore, but Tippett seems to like him), then there's Stalock who is almost done quarantine.

It may be best just to IR him for the minimum week to make sure he's good to go and in the meantime complete the waiver gymnastics necessary with the rest of the part time players to ensure the maximum roster flexibility come next week when he's re-activated. For example, waiving Turris, re-waiving Neal as his expires soon I believe, and possibly a couple others like Chiasson (though I can't see him missing a game soon so that could wait).

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Yeah, you gotta think they give him at least a few games off. I thought the concussion protocol mandated some X period of time off in fact?
I think with concussions, things can appear to be well right after, and then can deteriorate from there.

Reactions: RattsSSV

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Really tough seeing how things are playing out for Jujhar. Had a rough start which I think most weren't shocked by. Came back and pretty much proved everyone wrong. Was at the point where people were talking of his line as being our third best and takes that first hit to head in fight. Comes back from that hit and looks pretty good still. Thought there could be some hesitation in his game, but there wasn't. Only to get rocked again.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Theres no way Khaira should be playing anytime soon. Clearly concussed, knocked out on his feet, and this with a more recent concussion. Likelihood is they have to do all the testing and medical evaluation. I suspect he's out for the month.

This gives an understandable rundown of some of what is involved;

NHL concussion protocol | Las Vegas Review-Journal (reviewjournal.com)

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Really tough seeing how things are playing out for Jujhar. Had a rough start which I think most weren't shocked by. Came back and pretty much proved everyone wrong. Was at the point where people were talking of his line as being our third best and takes that first hit to head in fight. Comes back from that hit and looks pretty good still. Thought there could be some hesitation in his game, but there wasn't. Only to get rocked again.

The bad part is this didn’t really seem to be a bad head shot or anything, and he still went down like he did. Not good.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
The bad part is this didn’t really seem to be a bad head shot or anything, and he still went down like he did. Not good.

It was a monster hit though. Entirely legal but that Romanov kid is a missile. Just a pure hitter. Wrecking ball. Love to have players like that. The kid is a crusher. He got all of him.

Concussions do not require being actually hit in the head, at all. Is misconception. For instance in any impact if it causes the head to whip around essentiall the brain can concuss itself bouncing inside the skull. Sorry, didn't know a way to put that.

Any traffic can cause a concussion even though ne head contact of any kind.

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home

Yeah, I think they need to shut him down for a month or two at least. Give his brain some time to heal. He's had two concussions in a short period of time and it's not worth messing around with his long-term health. He should get some craniosacral therapy to help him recover. It's pretty helpful for improving concussion symptoms.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
That was a hard hit though. Khaira went from probably 3/4 speed to instant stop. You could see his head whip back a bit. The contact doesn't need to be with the head to cause head trauma.

Bobieque

Low n' Slow (Me & the Food)
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2006
High River

The second I saw the hit and skate off I was thinking shut him down rest of season. Not a month or two. That really looked to me to be a continuation of the previous concussion.

Hopefully McLeod takes on the opportunity.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Yeah, I think they need to shut him down for a month or two at least. Give his brain some time to heal. He's had two concussions in a short period of time and it's not worth messing around with his long-term health. He should get some craniosacral therapy to help him recover. It's pretty helpful for improving concussion symptoms.
I agree. Sadly with this one I don't think he's even an option to play as I'm sure there has to be lingering effects that the player himself won't be able to hide.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
It was a monster hit though. Entirely legal but that Romanov kid is a missile. Just a pure hitter. Wrecking ball. Love to have players like that. The kid is a crusher. He got all of him.

Concussions do not require being actually hit in the head, at all. Is misconception. For instance in any impact if it causes the head to whip around essentiall the brain can concuss itself bouncing inside the skull. Sorry, didn't know a way to put that.

Any traffic can cause a concussion even though ne head contact of any kind.

My son went thru a very bad concussion in minor hockey years back, Laying in a dark room for months, the usual brutal side effects etc, and the hit he took wasn’t the worst one he had ever taken. Just the culmination of a lot of hits. So I really feel for guys that go thru them, as it can be brutal. But what was concerning to me was the hit on Khaira was one you see the majority of players just bounce back up from. He didn’t. Two concussions in a short period of time like this are hopefully sending warning bells to take this very seriously for the player.

Last edited:

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
The second I saw the hit and skate off I was thinking shut him down rest of season. Not a month or two. That really looked to me to be a continuation of the previous concussion.

Hopefully McLeod takes on the opportunity.

Agreed, I don't think there would've been an issue with that hit had he not had his previous concussion. Jujhar needs to take care of himself right now, it would be a shame if his career ended because he comes back too soon and gets another concussion.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad