Player Discussion Jujhar Khaira

ImmuneEH

Apr 2, 2017
Khaira's recent play is encouraging, but the script of his whole career has been look like like a genuinely effective player about half the time while looking useless the other half. If he can tread water 5v5, he's a useful player because he is an excellent PKer pretty much all the time.

He's a frustrating player for sure. Showed flashes, earned a contract, then his play was lackluster. Now he's a pending UFA and he's showing some good flashes again.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
As weird as it sounds, Khaira has actually been playing very well lately. Hopefully he keeps it up and makes some of the other bottom six players expendable.
Khaira isn't consistent enough to make others expendable.

It's nice if he can put together a little stretch, but he's done this before in the NHL before disappearing for months at a time.

Glad he's playing well right now. He's been very strong since he got inserted back into the lineup. But this is a player who unfortunately has shown that he can't put this kind of effort in on a consistent basis. And then when he's off his game he is legitimately one of the worst players in the league.

Fool me once...

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020

It's nice if he can put together a little stretch, but he's done this before in the NHL before disappearing for months at a time.

Glad he's playing well right now. He's been very strong since he got inserted back into the lineup. But this is a player who unfortunately has shown that he can't put this kind of effort in on a consistent basis. And then when he's off his game he is legitimately one of the worst players in the league.

Fool me once...
Khaira needs to play with a burr under his saddle, every game. I wish Archibald would take Khaira aside and teach him a thing or two about being aggressive.

Reactions: CarlWising

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011

Fool me once...

I think it was Rob Brown that was saying after the games vs the Habs that he thinks the Taxi Squad has benefited Khaira in that he sees the amount of effort and dedication it takes to get in, the 'tweener' vets have a better chance to rub off on young players looking to get in as they are actually practicing together. I can't remember when it was that Khaira became waiver eligible (a couple seasons ago?) but it seemed he felt comfortable being valuable enough that they were afraid to lose him.

Blue Line Turnover

Oct 26, 2006
One thing I have noticed recently about Khaira is how strong he really is. I mean, yes, he's always appeared to be a strong guy, but seems so much more solid now. Guys just bounce off him, and when he hits, it is absolutely crushing. He is going to hurt someone one of these days.

Yeah, he seems to have let up a bit on the force of his hits compared to when he first entered the league; I was at a pre-season game, during his rookie year, where every hit he threw made me think that someone was going to end up in the hospital

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
I think it was Rob Brown that was saying after the games vs the Habs that he thinks the Taxi Squad has benefited Khaira in that he sees the amount of effort and dedication it takes to get in, the 'tweener' vets have a better chance to rub off on young players looking to get in as they are actually practicing together. I can't remember when it was that Khaira became waiver eligible (a couple seasons ago?) but it seemed he felt comfortable being valuable enough that they were afraid to lose him.

Whatever it is he seems more confident, he's skating harder and getting to the right places to check opposing players more consistently, and he's not turning the puck over regularly. This line with him, Archibald and Ennis has looked good. He's gotten 12 minutes of ice time or more in 4 of the last 5 games, I'd imagine that's helping his game. Hopefully that line can keep up their strong play. It would be nice to have an actual 3rd line again.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I really hope that Jujhar can bring a consistent effort game in and game out. It is a real luxury having another big body out there to deal with the rough stuff. As others have said, we have seen play like this from Jujhar before, hopefully this time he can sustain it and earn a bottom 6 role because of his play and not his contract,

fireantz

Mar 15, 2007
Consistency is something you are taught by older pros in the AHL not as a six year pro. Expect to be disappointed if you think he has changed

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I wish we saw this Khaira all the time but alas he's no Mike Grier, a guy that would crash people into the boards with a f***ed shoulder, play his shift, destroy somebody else, then come back on the bench with a popped shoulder, have a trainer pop it back in, and want to play the next shift. That guys determination was beautiful. Legend of a player and you knew it at the time. I miss guys like that on Ronnie Lows 100hits a game squad. That was great hockey to see. Hitting, finishing checks, its the great equalizer in hockey. Its the mettle that separates men from boys, fancy dans from players that will do anything to win. In that precap era it was the path to winning for that Oilers clubs as they face offed against loaded lineups of richer clubs.

Davey vs Goliath most nights and Davey won most of the time.

They should feed Mike Grier film into Khaira all the time but Tippett isn't getting enough credit for this. Sometimes he finds lines that just work. This one does. Archibald is the perfect player in this lineup to be playing with Khaira. Right now we're also seeing Good Ennis, a streaky player. Put these guys together and its the right combo of speed, malice, finishing checks, working simple cycle while frustrating opponents. Lost in this is that the quality of our D play supporting pucks all over the ice is much more skilled now. We have skilled D, and making it easier for forward lines to do their business in offensive end. Our D support pressure has been very good. Conversely our back check has been good. Players playing for each other for the joy of having the puck.

The last few games have been wonderful to watch. This is the game I love watching A 3-0 win, as close to road perfection as it gets. This line, the last few games, it was like stepping back in time to a lunch bucket line cycling and frustrating opponents playing keep away with the puck and drilling them into the boards on puck battle.

Could you imagine if we had this line competing like this 12mins every night? I mean I want to think it can happen. But Khaira has never done this for very long.

Last edited:

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
Khaira has been making me eat crow the last few games.

he and chiasson are my whipping boys, and they deserve it after the last few years. I was ready to send Khaira to the AHL after he had zero response to being waived.

hopefully whatever woke up in him sticks around. Even without the productions, he looks like he gives a shit since that fight. The effort is what’s been missing, so it’s nice to see. I’m not counting on it since we’ve seen him be frustratingly inconsistent, but it’s a good sign when it’s been so long since he looked even half this good.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Consistency is something you are taught by older pros in the AHL not as a six year pro. Expect to be disappointed if you think he has changed

But is it possible that the consistency can come from somebody else? That the modeling can come from a linemate? The thing with Khaira is I never felt this player was fearful of playing a big man game. That didn't seem to be the issue. My own take is that he was lazy at times and veering to be a bit of a pacifist for this role. But its clear also that he accepted this role at different times, but would fall off of it because as anybody that has played football, hockey, knows, being in plays hurts a lot more than not being in them.

Its an animal natural tendency to avoid pain. Except for those that are inured to it. The latter are often people that have learned to love pain, physical or mental, and giving and receiving it. Its no accident that some of the best enforcers and consistently physical players are f***ed up, and love pain. You can't play a swamp dog game consistently and not have that in you. Its kind of like the linebacker breed. What kind of person chooses middle linebacker. Guys like Dan Kepley. you have to love pain or to have shaken hands with it.

Archibald of course fully accepts his role. He's somebody that expects to be black and blue every night. Its part of his acceptance of what it takes, for him, to be playing at this highest level and bringing everything he can.

its a masterstroke putting Khaira in with Archibald. If Khaira finally ignites and stays burning I woud throw a guy like Holloway in with this kind of role line as well to get his feet wet in the NHL. But only if players like Khaira, and the line are bringing it. high energy shifts every night. What we need from that line. its never been my opinion that you play shutdown in your own zone. you play it better forcing pucks up ice and making it hell for opponent lines to play in own zone most of the shifts.

Last edited:

Bobieque

Low n' Slow (Me & the Food)
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2006
High River
There were rumblings back that Vancouver made enquires into Khaira.
Talk about perfect timing, our asset rising while theirs is falling. I would move to trade him right now to Vancouver.
His stock will never be higher than it is right now, and they are still wanting to be in the hunt.
I don’t care if it’s draft picks, prospects or a roster player. The timing has never been better for a trade.
Just my opinion of course...

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Talk about perfect timing, our asset rising while theirs is falling. I would move to trade him right now to Vancouver.
His stock will never be higher than it is right now, and they are still wanting to be in the hunt.
I don’t care if it’s draft picks, prospects or a roster player. The timing has never been better for a trade.

Timing might be better when we play Vancouver, heh, provided he's playing like this.

I haven't heard whether he wants to be back in Vancouver area. Some players don't want that. But certainly he would be huge in that market as well. Pro hockey is a selling tickets gate driven game, and now TV ratings driven game. Makes sense that Khaira holds some value even outside of the actual rink.

Reactions: Bobieque

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

If they want to send over Virtanen sure. Otherwise, I'd just let him keep going for us and hope that he has finally found consistency for the first time in about 3 years(?) when he last had a good season.

Reactions: Bobieque

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
One thing I have noticed recently about Khaira is how strong he really is. I mean, yes, he's always appeared to be a strong guy, but seems so much more solid now. Guys just bounce off him, and when he hits, it is absolutely crushing. He is going to hurt someone one of these days.

He’s back to playing like Officer Khaira again, we need that version of him going forward.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
I like the player when the 'on switch' is engaged. He always impresses me in his interviews as a smart, quiet and thoughtful person. My impression extends to him as a hockey player who has a long fuse to come to anger and aggression and having a low pilot line when it comes to asserting his impressive tool kit of size and solid skating. I just don't think its his natural disposition which as these elements slip in his play the quality of his play starts to go down. NHL players and the best NHL players draw fuel from their own self motivation to improve and also compete. I definitely would not characterize him as lazy, he comes from good, hard working blue collar roots. Moreso he doesn't seem wired with natural aggression and assertiveness which would make him an awesome every day player.

This is a very good stretch for Khaira. It would be great to see it click for him and maybe the taxi squad experience will take. Hope so but will be pragmatic.

TB12

Apr 5, 2015
I wish we saw this Khaira all the time but alas he's no Mike Grier, a guy that would crash people into the boards with a f***ed shoulder, play his shift, destroy somebody else, then come back on the bench with a popped shoulder, have a trainer pop it back in, and want to play the next shift. That guys determination was beautiful. Legend of a player and you knew it at the time.
Mike Grier was such a beauty. An absolute wrecking ball and had some surprisingly slick mitts. He always seemed to just go all out.

I remember one game he scored a goal and as he went to celebrate his shoulder popped out. You could hear him screaming when it happened. Goes to the bench and I don’t think he even missed a shift.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
I wish we saw this Khaira all the time but alas he's no Mike Grier, a guy that would crash people into the boards with a f***ed shoulder, play his shift, destroy somebody else, then come back on the bench with a popped shoulder, have a trainer pop it back in, and want to play the next shift. That guys determination was beautiful. Legend of a player and you knew it at the time. I miss guys like that on Ronnie Lows 100hits a game squad. That was great hockey to see. Hitting, finishing checks, its the great equalizer in hockey. Its the mettle that separates men from boys, fancy dans from players that will do anything to win. In that precap era it was the path to winning for that Oilers clubs as they face offed against loaded lineups of richer clubs.

Davey vs Goliath most nights and Davey won most of the time.

They should feed Mike Grier film into Khaira all the time but Tippett isn't getting enough credit for this. Sometimes he finds lines that just work. This one does. Archibald is the perfect player in this lineup to be playing with Khaira. Right now we're also seeing Good Ennis, a streaky player. Put these guys together and its the right combo of speed, malice, finishing checks, working simple cycle while frustrating opponents. Lost in this is that the quality of our D play supporting pucks all over the ice is much more skilled now. We have skilled D, and making it easier for forward lines to do their business in offensive end. Our D support pressure has been very good. Conversely our back check has been good. Players playing for each other for the joy of having the puck.

The last few games have been wonderful to watch. This is the game I love watching A 3-0 win, as close to road perfection as it gets. This line, the last few games, it was like stepping back in time to a lunch bucket line cycling and frustrating opponents playing keep away with the puck and drilling them into the boards on puck battle.

Could you imagine if we had this line competing like this 12mins every night? I mean I want to think it can happen. But Khaira has never done this for very long.
My best memory of Mike Grier is something I can't even fully remember and something he didn't do himself exactly but a series of events that lead to my funniest early hockey memory as a fan. As you say his shoulder kept popping out of it's socket and he would skate back to the bench with his arm dangling by his side. I did a quick google and this is from the first thing that shows up:

During the 2000-01 season, Grier's shoulder made a habit of popping out of place – dislocating during games. More than once after the problems began, you'd hear Grier scream in pain and skate to the bench with his arm hanging loosely at his side.

OK, I'm not a sadist and I can't even remember the team the Oilers were playing, maybe Dallas?... but Grier's shoulder popped out and he SCREAMED "AHHHHHHHH" and a player from the Dallas bench screamed back at him "why don't you get your ******* shoulder fixed." Everyone in the arena could hear. Grier skated back to the Oiler's bench and you could tell he was thinking, "hey, that guys got a point."

Reactions: Oilhawks and KirkW

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton

Khaira came damn close to being out of the league. He has played really the four games he has played since sitting out four games in the press box. Sitting out four in a row seems like it has been a huge wakeup call.

I bet if it gets to the point where he is healthy scratched again for lack of effort he is on a PTO somewhere next season.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Its such a player that Oulers depth is depending on, ad a strong big body who can defend and shoot some goals, fills the bottom 6 scoribg issue. But when he is off - he seems like bottom 6 AHLer. To strong for AHL, to less skilled for NHL?

Reactions: CravenMH

Bobieque

Low n' Slow (Me & the Food)
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2006
High River
If they want to send over Virtanen sure. Otherwise, I'd just let him keep going for us and hope that he has finally found consistency for the first time in about 3 years(?) when he last had a good season.
Understood, I’m not good at proposals, just saying to me this will be the best timing we’ll ever have.
I don’t see this play being sustainable. Similar to Chiasson ever getting to 20 goal’s again.
You gents are smarter than me about another team’s players. I would strike while the iron’s hot.

Separate note: Mike Grier was just a beauty. I can’t ever recall hearing after a game “You can tell Grier took the night off” which to me is one of the greatest compliments a player could have for their career.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
But is it possible that the consistency can come from somebody else? That the modeling can come from a linemate? The thing with Khaira is I never felt this player was fearful of playing a big man game. That didn't seem to be the issue. My own take is that he was lazy at times and veering to be a bit of a pacifist for this role. But its clear also that he accepted this role at different times, but would fall off of it because as anybody that has played football, hockey, knows, being in plays hurts a lot more than not being in them.

Its an animal natural tendency to avoid pain. Except for those that are inured to it. The latter are often people that have learned to love pain, physical or mental, and giving and receiving it. Its no accident that some of the best enforcers and consistently physical players are f***ed up, and love pain. You can't play a swamp dog game consistently and not have that in you. Its kind of like the linebacker breed. What kind of person chooses middle linebacker. Guys like Dan Kepley. you have to love pain or to have shaken hands with it.

Archibald of course fully accepts his role. He's somebody that expects to be black and blue every night. Its part of his acceptance of what it takes, for him, to be playing at this highest level and bringing everything he can.

its a masterstroke putting Khaira in with Archibald. If Khaira finally ignites and stays burning I woud throw a guy like Holloway in with this kind of role line as well to get his feet wet in the NHL. But only if players like Khaira, and the line are bringing it. high energy shifts every night. What we need from that line. its never been my opinion that you play shutdown in your own zone. you play it better forcing pucks up ice and making it hell for opponent lines to play in own zone most of the shifts.

To some degree I also just think that some players and people aren't built to bring 100% every night. In reality, no one is; even the most consistent are more along the lines of 85-100% every night. But some people are more along the lines of 30% some nights and 130% other nights. Lots of guys trend toward the other side, some examples would be say Kovalev, Nash, Mike Smith, Vanek, Duchene, Perron, Franzen, Saad, Kadri, Zucker, Dubois, Benn, Silfverberg, Marchand, Mike Richards, Kreider etc. None of those guys I'd say are particularly lazy (In fact most on this list are considered to be hard working "play the right way" always engaged players), but all of them have or had a tendency to light the world on fire sometimes and sometimes not even play the puck on a given night.

Even perfect beacons of consistency like say a Smyth sometimes just had bad games, or even bad strings of games.

As far as I'm concerned, you dont need Khaira to be lighting the world on fire every night. But he needs to be better at making sure his low points are extended low points.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
To some degree I also just think that some players and people aren't built to bring 100% every night. In reality, no one is; even the most consistent are more along the lines of 85-100% every night. But some people are more along the lines of 30% some nights and 130% other nights. Lots of guys trend toward the other side, some examples would be say Kovalev, Nash, Mike Smith, Vanek, Duchene, Perron, Franzen, Saad, Kadri, Zucker, Dubois, Benn, Silfverberg, Marchand, Mike Richards, Kreider etc. None of those guys I'd say are particularly lazy (In fact most on this list are considered to be hard working "play the right way" always engaged players), but all of them have or had a tendency to light the world on fire sometimes and sometimes not even play the puck on a given night.

Even perfect beacons of consistency like say a Smyth sometimes just had bad games, or even bad strings of games.

As far as I'm concerned, you dont need Khaira to be lighting the world on fire every night. But he needs to be better at making sure his low points are extended low points.

Yep. My take is that Khaira is a healthy person, and doesn't self medical with painkilling drugs or alcohol. A lot of the people that are uber physical in pro sports every game. They dabble. Damn straight though. Even that Ron Low club didn't play hard every night. But take two nights in a row off and it was bag skate time so you learn to bleed in the games instead of dying in the bag skates.

Still remember one of the drills Ron Low instilled with this org and the team was still using years later. Breakaway drill. After a bag skate the team would have breakaway drills. You had to score before being let off the ice. Of course if you were facing Cujo this could take a long time. I mean guys would be dying out there after the skate just trying not to vomit on the ice and you're facing Cujo and you can't rest until you score a goal. lolol. For fans at those practices it was pretty funny. One tough, not sure if it was laraque or who it was, just mugged the goalie after not scoring on a dozen attempts. Everybody laughed and they let him off.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Khaira has been making me eat crow the last few games.

he and chiasson are my whipping boys, and they deserve it after the last few years. I was ready to send Khaira to the AHL after he had zero response to being waived.

hopefully whatever woke up in him sticks around. Even without the productions, he looks like he gives a shit since that fight. The effort is what’s been missing, so it’s nice to see. I’m not counting on it since we’ve seen him be frustratingly inconsistent, but it’s a good sign when it’s been so long since he looked even half this good.
Don't feel bad for dissing him. He deserved it. His lack of dedication and passion were ruining him. But by the same token, he deserves and should be praised now. Just cautiously, is all.;)

McXLNC97

Mar 20, 2007
B.C.
Khaira came damn close to being out of the league. He has played really the four games he has played since sitting out four games in the press box. Sitting out four in a row seems like it has been a huge wakeup call.

I bet if it gets to the point where he is healthy scratched again for lack of effort he is on a PTO somewhere next season.

Agreed, he went on waivers, and was relegated to pressbox as well. May finally have been a wake up call for him that he's running out of chances. Has responded extremely well since being reinserted into the lineup

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad