Player Discussion Jujhar Khaira

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Khaira's work on the cycle has been very good. But off the cycle he looks unassertive and timid, almost afraid to make a mistake. When a teammate gets pushed around, he does come skating in, but it's not with any fear factor involved. Hardly a finger is layed. I loved what Kass did last night, when he came flying in and grabbed the guy by the head and gave it a twist. Was a big "don't mess with us"moment.
I think he has a really good shot, but he needs to be much more aggressive to get to those open spots and follow his shots in, and keep his feet moving. Having him sit in the PB for a game or two isn't a punishment as much as it is a viewing experience.
I was wondering if he's afraid because he knows he could lose his spot. The thing though is Tippett seems to trust him and is throwing him out there in some tough situations. You'd think that would help his confidence.

With that being said the PB is not far away for him unless he can start doing something

RipsADrive

Sep 16, 2008
Edmonton
JJ is not the type of guy I'd want to flush because of a slump.

Thing is we need his play of late to be a slump and not his new standard. I think he'll find his stride though like @joestevens29 just posted the PB might be necessary for a few games.

Snowpants

In Depth Hockey Analyst
Apr 20, 2019

Thing is we need his play of late to be a slump and not his new standard. I think he'll find his stride though like @joestevens29 just posted the PB might be necessary for a few games.

When is not a slump just whois he though???

RipsADrive

Sep 16, 2008
Edmonton
It's not a new standard. He's been garbage for over a year.

Development is not linear and we've seen parts of Khaira's game that we really need on the Oilers.

I think Tippett will really help him iron out the flaws in his game if given enough time. Khaira's got talent, size, and drive and I'd hate to see that go to waste.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
If he’s not a 10 goal scorer this year he’s dead to me. Not looking promising.

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015
Development is not linear and we've seen parts of Khaira's game that we really need on the Oilers.

I think Tippett will really help him iron out the flaws in his game if given enough time. Khaira's got talent, size, and drive and I'd hate to see that go to waste.
He's 25 and has actually gotten worse this last year to now what are you really expecting at this point? He is a player that doesn't even understand his role or what his strengths are. He constantly thinks he's Drai holding onto the puck for too long using the Jagr move to protect the puck but it almost always results in a turnover for him because he doesn't have the awareness to know when to get rid of the puck.

OldManBouchard

Oct 14, 2019
Played well. Madesome nice breakout passes which died on the sticks of his teammates. Put out on key defensive situations. Played his role.

Reactions: Consultant

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011

Im not sure this freezebox tactics is a bright thing. What will that bring? Stuff legs? Pair him with his friend Nuge and Neal, and say to him, "skate like you never had skate before." And see what he brings. But why not try the 16--17 recie, I know most here dont like, put the 3c on diffrent lines.

Kassian McD Neal
Jurco Draisaitl Chiasson
Khaira Nuge Nygård
Granlund Sheahan Haas
To bad Archibald isnt succeding. Tippet seems cold about P.Russel

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Have said earlier, Khaira is an ideal player to have on ur taxi squad/extra forward. Not expecting him to score another point for another 10 games but he is still valuable when not scoring.

Bottom 6 is shaping out nicely for us.

Neal-Haas-Kassian
Ennis-Khaira-Archibald

Turris/Chiasson

Reactions: Oilhawks

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Khaira and Ennis are doing what I was hoping. Guys coming in and showing they deserve to be in. Hopefully if they start to struggle someone else can do the same.

That was kind of my expectation for the year. Was a lot of guys coming in and out of the lineup throughout the year. Problem that we've had is none of them were doing much until recently. And yes even say these games against Ottawa are bingo markers, but Khaira did play well against Calgary.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Hopefully Khaira finally realizes that he is getting near the end of the rope for tolerating his laksadaisical play, and woke up to the way he needs to play.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
Have said earlier, Khaira is an ideal player to have on ur taxi squad/extra forward. Not expecting him to score another point for another 10 games but he is still valuable when not scoring.

Bottom 6 is shaping out nicely for us.

Neal-Haas-Kassian
Ennis-Khaira-Archibald

Turris/Chiasson

I'm cool with that Bottom 6 expect for Kassian. Don't like a 3rd or 4th liner that generates limited offense making 3m.

As for Neal it's not his fault this city would do anything to get rid of Lucic. Plus he's our best player on the pp in front of the net.

Everyone else is at around 1m a year which is good value for a Bottom 6.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
Hopefully Khaira finally realizes that he is getting near the end of the rope for tolerating his laksadaisical play, and woke up to the way he needs to play.

Wish Tippett would do the same with guys like Kassian and Kris Russell. For some reason khaira seems to get scared into preforming whenever he has his health scrsth punishment.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Wish Tippett would do the same with guys like Kassian and Kris Russell. For some reason khaira seems to get scared into preforming whenever he has his health scrsth punishment.

Khaira was scratched because he couldn't play any lower than 4C. Russell has been a healthy scratch and deserved it when he was. I don't think Kassian has been that bad at any time this season that he was playing when guys who weren't playing would clearly have been better.

Reactions: joestevens29

JayE

Sep 24, 2016
Khaira's recent play is encouraging, but the script of his whole career has been look like like a genuinely effective player about half the time while looking useless the other half. If he can tread water 5v5, he's a useful player because he is an excellent PKer pretty much all the time.

Blue Line Turnover

Oct 26, 2006
The way that he forechecks, when he's on his game, is pretty awesome to watch; the same could be said for his ability to throw some hard hits along with his board play on the cycle

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Khaira's recent play is encouraging, but the script of his whole career has been look like like a genuinely effective player about half the time while looking useless the other half.

That has always been the problem with Khaira. He doesn't always bring the required compete level. He has been competing recently. Maybe he will finally understand he needs to compete every, single game.

Reactions: CarlWising

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
That has always been the problem with Khaira. He doesn't always bring the required compete level. He has been competing recently. Maybe he will finally understand he needs to compete every, single shift.

Fixed it for you

Reactions: shoop

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
That has always been the problem with Khaira. He doesn't always bring the required compete level. He has been competing recently. Maybe he will finally understand he needs to compete every, single game.

You could say this about a whole lot in the bottom six, defense and goal.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
One thing I have noticed recently about Khaira is how strong he really is. I mean, yes, he's always appeared to be a strong guy, but seems so much more solid now. Guys just bounce off him, and when he hits, it is absolutely crushing. He is going to hurt someone one of these days.

Gregsky99

Dec 16, 2012
One thing I have noticed recently about Khaira is how strong he really is. I mean, yes, he's always appeared to be a strong guy, but seems so much more solid now. Guys just bounce off him, and when he hits, it is absolutely crushing. He is going to hurt someone one of these days.
But then Archibald will be out of a job....

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Khaira's recent play is encouraging, but the script of his whole career has been look like like a genuinely effective player about half the time while looking useless the other half. If he can tread water 5v5, he's a useful player because he is an excellent PKer pretty much all the time.

Yup. The way he's playing isn't a shock to any of us, as we've seen it before. It's the consistency that's the issue. And not a 1 out of 10 games being off sort of thing, but a high enough % of games that he provided negative value that he was a risk to have in your lineup. But I'll enjoy his current level of compete and excellent play, and hopefully we see longer stretches of it going forward.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad