Player Discussion Jujhar Khaira

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
When you get your bell rung once it makes it much easier to happen again, this being his second since the fight. I'd shut him down until the play offs to be safe.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Definitely not going to be popular opinion, but it might an opportunity for Turris to get in one last time this year.

Odds are he'd be the guy called up for tomorrow's game. Probably his last chance to prove he is a NHLer with McLeod waiting to get in after quarantine.

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
Agreed, I don't think there would've been an issue with that hit had he not had his previous concussion. Jujhar needs to take care of himself right now, it would be a shame if his career ended because he comes back too soon and gets another concussion.

Yeah with concussions you need to be really honest with yourself and really honest with the doctors. You really need to feel 100% before attempting to take contact again. It'll likely be a slow process for him, and hopefully he can reach out to other players who have been through it for support.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Definitely not going to be popular opinion, but it might an opportunity for Turris to get in one last time this year.

Odds are he'd be the guy called up for tomorrow's game. Probably his last chance to prove he is a NHLer with McLeod waiting to get in after quarantine.

I think the challenge here is that calling up Turris tomorrow will burn the second of four callups with still 12 games to go and they are already counting on McLeod burning a third. Doesn't give a lot of room for future flexibility in the final 10 games. I think they are hoping with everything that Nuge can play tomorrow and see where things lie after the short break again. If Khaira is confirmed LTIR after a few days they'll want centremen amongst the last two which still gives Turris one more chance at a later game.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
? No. We need him for the playoffs

I think we need to prepare for the possibility he's played his last game for the season. You shouldn't be getting that reaction from a hard but clean hit.

He needs to prioritize his health.

It doesn't do anyone any good if he's playing afraid of contact anyway, like Klefbom was clearly afraid to take contact in the play in round and it showed.

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
I think the challenge here is that calling up Turris tomorrow will burn the second of four callups with still 12 games to go and they are already counting on McLeod burning a third. Doesn't give a lot of room for future flexibility in the final 10 games. I think they are hoping with everything that Nuge can play tomorrow and see where things lie after the short break again. If Khaira is confirmed LTIR after a few days they'll want centremen amongst the last two which still gives Turris one more chance at a later game.

Third of the call-ups. Nygard, McLeod, Turris.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Dude has the worst luck. Something always seems to happen right when hes about to establish himself as a legit NHLer. Wish him a speedy recovery. He deserves it and we could use him in the lineup, hes a puck protecting monster which is hard to find in a bottom 6 role.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
I think we need to prepare for the possibility he's played his last game for the season. You shouldn't be getting that reaction from a hard but clean hit.

It doesn't do anyone any good if he's playing afraid of contact anyway, like Klefbom was clearly afraid to take contact in the play in round and it showed.

I agree with what you're saying but Tippett made it seem optimistic, today, that Khaira could be in the lineup after some games off. I'm not saying that he should be playing right away. But, after some time off, there could/may be a chance

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I'm sure you can use an emergency call up if it's for an injured player. Have been able to in the past.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Its true that burning a call up for a move that helps with maybe a couple of games seems wrong. It probably is. But isnt there only 12 games left? It is that 4 call ups number for the whole playoffs too?

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan

Yup. That hit shouldn't be giving you a concussion under normal circumstances. It wouldn't surprise me in the least to not see him playing until next fall.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
How do injuries affect the limited callups? I thought there was an emergency callup that you could do to cover off injuries? Wouldn't replacing Khaira then not count against the 4?

Wretched Oil

Right out of 'er
Feb 19, 2008
I think if he can't fight again then he's not ready.
Khaira's game is aggressive and there's always a chance someone takes exception and pops him one, and he needs to be able to take it.

I hope management is extra careful here, one more is career-ending territory.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
"
but something about the Romanov hit obviously didn’t agree with him.
“He says it’s funny, he got hit and was just stunned a little bit, but today he fees absolutely normal,” said Tippett. “But they’ll do some tests and make sure everything is all right.”

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
I'm sure you can use an emergency call up if it's for an injured player. Have been able to in the past.

Good point and emergency callups are extremely easy to complete since they are already practicing with the team.

I really wish they'd clarify the rules here though (or if they have someone could point me to it, I couldn't find it in a google search other than articles that sometimes contradicted each other). The way the rule reads is that it only permits 4 recalls from another league. Does Taxi count as another league.

The point of the rule was to prevent teams from calling up the entire farm for the last few games negatively impacting the AHL team and negatively impacting the marketability of the NHL game. Back and forth on the taxi doesn't have the same impact in my opinion.

It would also be beneficial to get clarification because Bouchard wasn't assinged to Bakersfield at the deadline, so strict reading of the rule is that he can't be sent down, but if for the purposes of the recall rule Taxi=AHL then it's fine.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
"
“He says it’s funny, he got hit and was just stunned a little bit, but today he fees absolutely normal,” said Tippett. “But they’ll do some tests and make sure everything is all right.”
That’s twice in a little over a month he’s been “stunned a little bit” and been unable to get off the ice without assistance.

Whether he’s feeling fine or not, that’s sketchy. I’m worried the next time he gets stunned a little bit he goes out cold.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
"

While a concussion wouldn't surprise me with how dazed he looked afterwards, but I'm curious if he got winded.

Romanov did get him a hard shoulder straight to the chest.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad