Recalled/Assigned: JT Miller

Wolfy*

Brooks explains why AV benched Miller here..

http://nypost.com/2014/04/03/vigneault-j-t-miller-hasnt-earned-the-right-to-stay-in-pros/

He was benched for the third period of last Friday’s game in Calgary after twice firing shots wide on rushes that allowed the Flames to create odd-man rushes through the neutral zone off of easy breakouts.

So to make it simple...if Miller then used a bad word about AV, or did something stupid after that game. Is there really a discussion?

The decision to send him back to Hartford would be easy, and let him stay there until he has calmed down. Then maybe he gets another chance later.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
To add if I got paid 6000 bucks a month to play hockey with a chance at NHL time and paychecks I'd be through the roof. I can't even think of looking down at someone legitimately for "just being a career minor league player". I understand fans being fans and ripping on a guy. We're humans and we're prone to be like that on occasion. But it's a little different to taunt vs. legitimately looking down at guys. I've felt disappointed for people who had all the potential to make much more of themselves and (due to sheer laziness or stupidity) pissed it all away. But I don't look down at them. It's just hockey. They could very easily go on to do things that are actually important.

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
Who do you all have as comparable nhl players for jt miller? Now and in the future? I hear a lot of comparisons between him and Dubinsky

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Do you think Nash was playing his heart out for this entire season? I think a huge chunk of this fanbase saw different game in, game out and would argue against that, injury aside. Just because he's leading the team in goals doesn't excuse his play the other 75% of the time. It's taken him 3/4 of the season to find his game and the only thing that visibly started that was him actually being healthy for the CLB game. Outside of that he's looked like a corpse most nights.

No, I don't think Nash has been playing his heart out every night. But, to respond with a question of my own, do you think any of us honestly know what Nash is like, how hard he trains/plays compared to other players, and/or how he responds to criticism like this more than the coach of the Rangers?

I'm not saying that he doesn't deserve criticism sometimes, but there are factors at play that explain why he doesn't get it. I don't think is the horrible hypocrisy others seem to.

Nash is a star player first of all, which comes with risks when coaches call them out, especially if they do so repeatedly. Beyond that, he's a goal scorer and he's been scoring goals. Beyond that, he was concussed this year, and played his worst hockey in my opinion right after returning. Beyond that, there's a solid chance that he, like many other players, isn't the kind of guy who is going to play better after being crapped on by a coach. Taking all of these things into consideration, I think it's pretty understandable why AV doesn't call him out.

I don't think these are excuses for his disheartened play, but I do think they are reasons why AV doesn't call him out like he calls out a player like Miller, who is pretty much the opposite being a young guy who is trying to establish himself, who is not doing great in any facet of the game in particular, and who has been said to have a bit more ego than is ideal.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Brooks explains why AV benched Miller here..

http://nypost.com/2014/04/03/vigneault-j-t-miller-hasnt-earned-the-right-to-stay-in-pros/

So to make it simple...if Miller then used a bad word about AV, or did something stupid after that game. Is there really a discussion?

The decision to send him back to Hartford would be easy, and let him stay there until he has calmed down. Then maybe he gets another chance later.

So he got benched for execution, not decision making. I would have to say that AV's rant sounds like it wasn't about execution at all. I wonder if he said something to AV too.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
You ever wonder how much a NYC school teacher, firefighter or cop make per month before taxes?
Put the name and the jersey aside. Lets think in terms of reality here.
$4/$5 k a month as a hockey player in the AHL... at 21... definitely more than enough for the kid.
:shakehead

More than enough for the kid? Sure. Large bank? No. Ask some one in NY if they feel wealthy making $100k a year... when they have a wife and 2 kids. The answer will be no. Miller most likely has very few obligations other than hockey. This money goes a long way for him. In a few years he will realize that it amounts to pennies when you have a family. Hockey and earning 25x what he is making now should be his motivation.

Edit* Just to clarify... Im not ragging on JT. I just hope that what may appear to be significant amounts of money to him now, doesn't cloud his vision about the fact that it is pennies compared to what he can make. I hope he has the maturity to realize he has a golden opportunity in front of him. The kid has a lot of skill and the right build to be a great hockey player. It would be a shame to see him piss that opportunity away.

true. it isnt much compared to chris kreider or derek stepan.

but his paycheck stands to be much bigger soon. and considering what he does, he makes a decent wage even now.

i would be pretty happy making his money at 20 doing whath he does. then again, most would i think.

that was, i guess, my point. but you knew that already.

If I knew it would I really have made that comment? Nothing is guaranteed. There is no guarantee in for him to make the NHL. While 4k-5k may seem nice now, it is pennies compared to what he can make.

I agree with you that I would be happy as well. I would also be striving for the big payday as well. Him needing to mature may be a sign that his head is focused in the present rather than thinking long term for his career.

Also, do we even know for sure what happened yet? Did he smart off to AV? Was it him partaking in certain activities that he shouldn't be? Is it on the ice effort? Could be so many things.

Last edited:

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
More than enough for the kid? Sure. Large bank? No. Ask some one in NY if they feel wealthy making $100k a year... when they have a wife and 2 kids. The answer will be no. Miller most likely has very few obligations other than hockey. This money goes a long way for him. In a few years he will realize that it amounts to pennies when you have a family. Hockey and earning 25x what he is making now should be his motivation.

Edit* Just to clarify... Im not ragging on JT. I just hope that what may appear to be significant amounts of money to him now, doesn't cloud his vision about the fact that it is pennies compared to what he can make. I hope he has the maturity to realize he has a golden opportunity in front of him. The kid has a lot of skill and the right build to be a great hockey player. It would be a shame to see him piss that opportunity away.

If I knew it would I really have made that comment? Nothing is guaranteed. There is no guarantee in for him to make the NHL. While 4k-5k may seem nice now, it is pennies compared to what he can make.

I agree with you that I would be happy as well. I would also be striving for the big payday as well. Him needing to mature may be a sign that his head is focused in the present rather than thinking long term for his career.

Also, do we even know for sure what happened yet? Did he smart off to AV? Was it him partaking in certain activities that he shouldn't be? Is it on the ice effort? Could be so many things.

Families get along more than just ok in this world making 100k with 2 kids... Unless they're terrible at managing their money. It is pennies compared to even 1 mil per year though you're right...I guess technically it's like dimes since it's 10 times less lol

cd211

Feb 6, 2010
New York, NY
he will not be a career minor leaguer, or stay in AHL for life... dude may have some maturity issues but he has all the skill, size, and grit to play in the NHL and should be here now..

like Kreider, he has to figure it out if he wants to be a regular right now at an early age.. IMO he will change his attitude and this is a wake up call..

JT is a solid player..

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
Why hasn't miller been given a chance to play center this year? Clearly he prefers it and he's doing well in the AHL playing center why not put him on a line with MSL and Richie on the LW? Not as a second line but as a 3rd... We all kno the brassard line has been out performing them

Wolfy*

Why hasn't miller been given a chance to play center this year? Clearly he prefers it and he's doing well in the AHL playing center why not put him on a line with MSL and Richie on the LW? Not as a second line but as a 3rd... We all kno the brassard line has been out performing them

Why? Because...and according to AV, Miller sucks. Yes, he said go back to Hartford, you have plenty more to learn.

Stop whining about Miller. We don't want him on the team when he fires the puck in all directions and making it easy for the opponent.

I have no problems with AV's decision, I just didn't like the way he questioned the kid in public.

JCrusher*

Apr 16, 2012
I dont blame the Rangers for bringing him up and sending him down a lot. We had a lot of injuries during the year and he was the best minor leaguer available to fill in. The kid will hopefully be a consistent starter next year. Now he needs to get his control issues in order. I like fiery players as long as they stay in control. Joe Micheletti and even Torts(who gets out of control himself) have said Miller has had anger issues in the past. Hopefully he matures moe and comes back next year ready to go

slipknottin

Apr 11, 2011
CT

He was given a chance to play center. Did for a couple games. Was below average

AHB*

Families get along more than just ok in this world making 100k with 2 kids... Unless they're terrible at managing their money. It is pennies compared to even 1 mil per year though you're right...I guess technically it's like dimes since it's 10 times less lol

In this world, yes, in NY, no. 100K is barely enough to live on in New York City.

You can't compare salaries living in NYC to salaries living around the world. If you're making 100K living in NYC in a studio apartment, you're still living paycheck to paycheck. The average rent in BROOKLYN is now about 2,800 a month. That's 33000+ a year. Add in utilities, commuting fees and food at another 1000 a month. Then Take into account the 40% overall taxes that person is paying and now you have someone taking home around 60K with more then half going to rent for a mediocre apartment in Brooklyn.

Now, try adding a wife or kid to that? I know this from experience. I have friends who do this. It's a nightmare.

Is it possible to live on that, absolutely. Are you living like a world beater, absolutely not.

I lived in Union Square for one year, with a roommate in a two bedroom. I make a decent salary for a kid out of college. I bought my food on Long Island, I walked 2 miles to work each day to avoid the 100$ subway ticket. I almost never went out. I told my friends i would never spend money on a movie or play or anything. I moved back home right after my lease was up to save because I couldn't save one dollar living in NYC.

I realize it's hard for people to comprehend that 100K is not a lot in NYC, but it's just not. You're below average and soon you won't be able to afford it. It's the reason I'm planning on moving as soon as I create enough of a nest egg to get out of here.

AHB*

Why? Because...and according to AV, Miller sucks. Yes, he said go back to Hartford, you have plenty more to learn.

Stop whining about Miller. We don't want him on the team when he fires the puck in all directions and making it easy for the opponent.

I have no problems with AV's decision, I just didn't like the way he questioned the kid in public.

Ok, he never said he sucked. He said he's not ready to be a full-time NHL player. I certainly don't think he believes he sucks.

Also, he raises a fair point. Miller, in every stint he's been in the NHL, has shown he's a better and more aware player when he's at center instead of wing.

When he comes up, he should be put in a position to succeed, not fail. If that comes at the expense of Brad "my paychecks so heavy I can't skate fast" Richards, I'm willing to live with that.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Ok, he never said he sucked. He said he's not ready to be a full-time NHL player. I certainly don't think he believes he sucks.

Also, he raises a fair point. Miller, in every stint he's been in the NHL, has shown he's a better and more aware player when he's at center instead of wing.

When he comes up, he should be put in a position to succeed, not fail. If that comes at the expense of Brad "my paychecks so heavy I can't skate fast" Richards, I'm willing to live with that.

While he never outright said he sucks, AV's words were very, very harsh about Miller since they were very public and they were meant to be very public. Everything that was said was said for a reason. Miller is just not a NHL player right now.

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
In this world, yes, in NY, no. 100K is barely enough to live on in New York City.

You can't compare salaries living in NYC to salaries living around the world. If you're making 100K living in NYC in a studio apartment, you're still living paycheck to paycheck. The average rent in BROOKLYN is now about 2,800 a month. That's 33000+ a year. Add in utilities, commuting fees and food at another 1000 a month. Then Take into account the 40% overall taxes that person is paying and now you have someone taking home around 60K with more then half going to rent for a mediocre apartment in Brooklyn.

Now, try adding a wife or kid to that? I know this from experience. I have friends who do this. It's a nightmare.

Is it possible to live on that, absolutely. Are you living like a world beater, absolutely not.

I lived in Union Square for one year, with a roommate in a two bedroom. I make a decent salary for a kid out of college. I bought my food on Long Island, I walked 2 miles to work each day to avoid the 100$ subway ticket. I almost never went out. I told my friends i would never spend money on a movie or play or anything. I moved back home right after my lease was up to save because I couldn't save one dollar living in NYC.

I realize it's hard for people to comprehend that 100K is not a lot in NYC, but it's just not. You're below average and soon you won't be able to afford it. It's the reason I'm planning on moving as soon as I create enough of a nest egg to get out of here.

I hear you, man. After 5 years of the NYC rat race I gave up and took a transfer to Atlanta. Best decision I've ever made. My standard of living is insanely higher than in NYC, and a good 70% of the city (not an exaggeration) are transplants anyway.

Back on topic, Miller will be just fine. He's a 20 year old kid that is still figuring things out. He's been able to get by up to this point on pure talent, and nobody has dared call him on his questionable decisions based on what he brings on the rink. In the NHL, he's not good enough to get away with that. Once he gets that through his head, he'll be fine.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013

maybe you're comparing apples and oranges. I'll take it on faith you are making valid comparisons because I don't want to ask you to give me a report on everyone's rent situations, salary, etc compared to a single guy making 100K. I have to think we aren't making comparisons that are valid. Like a guy making 60k with 2 kids in an apt that is more expensive than normal would be a bad example to use. I dunno the particulars and it's obviously your personal info so I wouldn't demand to know that.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Anyway NYC sucks a LOT for reasons you're pointing out but that's the exception not the rule. Is he paying for a place in NYC and in Hartford? Is he doing most of his living in hartford therefore most of his expenses are on Htf money and not NYC money? If he IS living in NYC he's not making 100k b/c it means he's playing with the NYR and making NHl salary not AHL salary. He's also likely being given transportation and other things that wouldn't be available to a typical NYC inhabitant. Hence why no matter what it's short sighted at best to make blanket statements about his quality of living which is what I'm arguing against.

Jb444

Mar 2, 2013
It all depends on perspective. In the scope of enjoying a job and earnings compared to the average 35-60k per year single earner Miller has a very very large portion of the world's historical population beat by a LOT.

All I can say is when Miller got recalled from Hartford for 3 games before trade deadline he had 1 goal and 2 Assists playing with a complimentary 3rd line. He was sent back Down soon after. Looked to me like Vaginaualt from that point made his decision that he wanted a veteran presence for a possible playoff run. Did he ever get a chance with 2nd line ? Evidently he played poorly in Calgary game on his last recall, but it's pretty apparent he was on a "short leash" under the circumstances? again, correct me if I'm off base here. It is evident that something went wrong.:shakehead

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad