Confirmed with Link: JT Compher Signs ELC

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Not exactly the lines I'd pick, but with the removal of Holden I'd agree. You have to find a way to upgrade on him IMO, or as soon as one of the young D struggles Roy will turn to him like a damn Heroin addict.

I think my wish list goes like this,

#1 Nick Holden out of the starting lineup, if not the roster (The implications of an upgrade causing this are huge for the defense IMO)
#2 Hamonic
#3 Drouin
#4 Draft lottery

Not a bad wish list unfortunately I can maybe see 2 of those 4 things, and even that would be a big win. The only realistic wish you have is to get Holden out of the lineup. Hamonic for Barrie makes sense as well.

My wish list for next season/this offseason is:

#1 Rantanen, Zadorov, Bigras and Compher are all fixtures in the lineup
#2 The Assistant coaches are fired and we bring in guys with some NHL experience to replace them
#3 Sign Radulov at all costs
#4 Trade Barrie for Hamonic
#5 Get MacK on board for 7 years+
#6 Cut ties with guys like Holden, McCleod, Mitchell, Skille they just don't bring a whole ton to the table, I'd rather see young guys on ELCs like Compher
#7 Figure out a way to get rid of Iginla, not likely but worth trying
#8 re-sign Matthias, he is an ideal 3rd/4th liner and played well for us
#9 re-sign Grigs to a reasonable 2-year deal, he earned it
#10 If money allows get Boedker back, he's not perfect but is a skilled winger which we really need
#11 Get one not over the hill UFA dman that can give quality 3rd pairing minutes like Roman Polak

Lineup Opening Night:

Landeskog-MacKinnon-Boedker
Radulov-Duchene-Grigorenko
Rantanen-Soderberg-Comeau
Matthias-Compher-Iginla (assuming that we just can't find a way to get rid of him)

Hamonic-EJ
Zadorov-Beauchemin
Bigras-Polak
Gelinas

Varly
Pickard

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Not a bad wish list unfortunately I can maybe see 2 of those 4 things, and even that would be a big win. The only realistic wish you have is to get Holden out of the lineup. Hamonic for Barrie makes sense as well.

#2 The Assistant coaches are fired and we bring in guys with some NHL experience to replace them
#6 Cut ties with guys like Holden, McCleod, Mitchell, Skille they just don't bring a whole ton to the table, I'd rather see young guys on ELCs like Compher
#10 If money allows get Boedker back, he's not perfect but is a skilled winger which we really need
#11 Get one not over the hill UFA dman that can give quality 3rd pairing minutes like Roman Polak

Lineup Opening Night:

Matthias-Compher-Iginla (assuming that we just can't find a way to get rid of him)

Hamonic-EJ
Zadorov-Beauchemin
Bigras-Polak
Gelinas

Varly
Pickard

Now that I am down with, it's near impossible to see Boedker fitting in salary wise if we hit on Radulov though.

You have to choose between Iginla and Boedker there IMO. With Iginla obviously being more likely.

Although maybe the salary difference in Barrie/Hamonic and moving the other guys makes that possible. Boedker would still have to take a deal similar to Soderberg obviously (Which I wouldn't give him any more than anyways)

It still all cascades from moving one or both of Holden & Mitchell lol. So tired of the minutes those two have gotten. Especially since it has not always been warranted.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Now that I am down with, it's near impossible to see Boedker fitting in salary wise if we hit on Radulov though.

You have to choose between Iginla and Boedker there IMO. With Iginla obviously being more likely.

Although maybe the salary difference in Barrie/Hamonic and moving the other guys makes that possible. Boedker would still have to take a deal similar to Soderberg obviously (Which I wouldn't give him any more than anyways)

It still all cascades from moving one or both of Holden & Mitchell lol. So tired of the minutes those two have gotten. Especially since it has not always been warranted.

Yeah I agree on Boedker, it's going to be tough to get him and Radulov on board and make it work salary wise. I'd rather have Radulov. It's just a shame that Iginla's contract is preventing us from having both Boedker and Radulov, this why you don't give large contracts with any term to a veteran player, because you have no idea when they finally hit that wall and become basically worthless.

I could be possible to get both like you said by dumping Barrie, Mitchell, McCleod etc. but I don't see that happening.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Congrats from a Sabres fan! ROR was the perfect addition for us but he came at a big price, Sakic got great value for him. If Zadorov, Grigorenko and Compher develop into solid regulars that's quite a haul. Compher's ceiling/upside is ROR, Zadorov has the size and tools to be a stud, was never sure if he has the personality to reach that status. Goofy nice kid.

This at least ensures that even if Zads doesn't reach his full potential, he'll remain adorable.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Yeah I agree on Boedker, it's going to be tough to get him and Radulov on board and make it work salary wise. I'd rather have Radulov. It's just a shame that Iginla's contract is preventing us from having both Boedker and Radulov, this why you don't give large contracts with any term to a veteran player, because you have no idea when they finally hit that wall and become basically worthless.

I could be possible to get both like you said by dumping Barrie, Mitchell, McCleod etc. but I don't see that happening.

Yeah, but it's still pretty damn good without Boedker. Especially with the idea of replacing Mitchell with Compher. I get a warm and fuzzy when I think about that.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia

Lineup Opening Night:

Hamonic-EJ
Zadorov-Beauchemin
Bigras-Polak
Gelinas

Varly
Pickard

Wish I could be....part of that worllllldddd.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
That's why it's a wish list, if 5 or 6 of the 11 things I'm wishing for come true, I'd consider it a pretty good offseason.

Everything on that list absolutely needs to be done except for a couple of them or part of them.

#3 or #10 Needs to be Radulov or another top six winger at the very least
#4 or #11 is fine realistically
#6 Two of Holden/Mitchell/Berra need to go
#7 Iggy does not have to happen, but would be nice

The rest they are seriously stupid if they don't make those happen, except maybe with some flexibility with MacK's deal. I wouldn't cry that hard about a bridge for MacK.

I just don't think that list should remotely be looked at as a fantasy personally.

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
Aussie timezone for me, so apologies for the late reply.

Can't believe that people are so hard on Mitchell. He fights hard in the corners and along the boards. He's one of the rare players that can maintain puck control. His utility value is great (people are ripping him because he got points with better line mates? Yeah, what's the point there - he's supposed to).

As for the latest line-up - there is 0 chance we get both Boedker and Radulov. None. We work in a salary cap era. In fact, I'd actually be surprised if we got one.

People are also conveniently forgetting Gelinas / Stuart's cap hits.

Also, what is it with putting potential scoring players on the 4th line to acclimatise them? Roy did that with Rantanen & it didn't work. Same with Hishon. Play them on the top lines.

Compher is a Center / Left Wing. Play him with Duchene or Mackinnon. If, and a very big IF you can get Boedker to re-sign, do. I do think Avs are making a play for Radulov though (I just hate his attitude).

Would LOVE if we could get Matthias re-signed.

Landeskog -Duchene - Rantanen (2X exp + 1X rookie)
Compher - Mackinnon - Radulov (2X exp + 1X rookie)
Matthias - Soderberg - Iginla
Mcleod - Mitchell - Comeau
(Grigorenko)

Beauchemin - Johnson
Holden - Bigras
Zadorov - Stuart
(Gelinas)

Varlamov
Pickard

+ Use Barrie & our 1st to attempt to move up as far as possible in the draft

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Aussie timezone for me, so apologies for the late reply.

Can't believe that people are so hard on Mitchell. He fights hard in the corners and along the boards. He's one of the rare players that can maintain puck control. His utility value is great (people are ripping him because he got points with better line mates? Yeah, what's the point there - he's supposed to).

As for the latest line-up - there is 0 chance we get both Boedker and Radulov. None. We work in a salary cap era. In fact, I'd actually be surprised if we got one.

People are also conveniently forgetting Gelinas / Stuart's cap hits.

Also, what is it with putting potential scoring players on the 4th line to acclimatise them? Roy did that with Rantanen & it didn't work. Same with Hishon. Play them on the top lines.

Compher is a Center / Left Wing. Play him with Duchene or Mackinnon. If, and a very big IF you can get Boedker to re-sign, do. I do think Avs are making a play for Radulov though (I just hate his attitude).

Would LOVE if we could get Matthias re-signed.

Landeskog -Duchene - Rantanen (2X exp + 1X rookie)
Compher - Mackinnon - Radulov (2X exp + 1X rookie)
Matthias - Soderberg - Iginla
Mcleod - Mitchell - Comeau
(Grigorenko)

Beauchemin - Johnson
Holden - Bigras
Zadorov - Stuart
(Gelinas)

Varlamov
Pickard

+ Use Barrie & our 1st to attempt to move up as far as possible in the draft

Rotfl @ Stuart playing, Grigorenko the 13th forward, Compher in the top six as a LW (Hes a C/RW), Holden as the #3.

Oh and you are living in the past with that evaluation of Mitchell. People are ripping on him for far more than his production as well.

This would be what I expected if they fired everyone in the organization and hired Jay Feaster and his entire family to run the hockey ops, and then rehired Dean as the coach of the Avalanche after firing him from SA.

:laugh:

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
Rotfl @ Stuart playing, Grigorenko the 13th forward, Compher in the top six as a LW (Hes a C/RW), Holden as the #3.

Oh and you are living in the past with that evaluation of Mitchell. People are ripping on him for far more than his production as well.

This would be what I expected if they fired everyone in the organization and hired Jay Feaster and his entire family to run the hockey ops, and then rehired Dean as the coach of the Avalanche after firing him from SA.

:laugh:

You can be as patronising and demeaning as you like about my opinion.

If you look here https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&...JRUvWwKBz0qitJRMg&sig2=q_hAp0aaRoOgQO4RZD_bwQ Compher is listed as a left wing. I'll be sure and tell the NHL they've got it wrong based on your advice. For that reason, my point stands - why put a offensively gifted winger in the bottom 6?

Secondly, assume Stuart comes off IR which is likely, what do YOU do with his 3.6 million dollar salary cap hit, and able body? Use an eraser to make him magically disappear?

Third, Grigorenko scored 6 goals, with quite a bit of time on the top lines this season with some pretty good players. He improved defensively I admit. So no, I feel goal scoring wise (which we need), he doesn't belong in the top 6, and of the bottom 6, he rates as the 7th - sorry.

Holden most certainly is not a number 3, but I paired him as Roy does on the second pairing as he does at present with Barrie. Not sure why this is so outrageous to you?

Re Mitchell. I love him as a player. Always have, always will. There is a reason he has spent time on the 2nd line. Again, this the coaches decisioning, not mine.

So laugh at my opinion all you want. You could have come across a whole lot more respectful if you chose to.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
You can be as patronising and demeaning as you like about my opinion.

If you look here https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&...JRUvWwKBz0qitJRMg&sig2=q_hAp0aaRoOgQO4RZD_bwQ Compher is listed as a left wing. I'll be sure and tell the NHL they've got it wrong based on your advice. For that reason, my point stands - why put a offensively gifted winger in the bottom 6?

Secondly, assume Stuart comes off IR which is likely, what do YOU do with his 3.6 million dollar salary cap hit, and able body? Use an eraser to make him magically disappear?

Third, Grigorenko scored 6 goals, with quite a bit of time on the top lines this season with some pretty good players. He improved defensively I admit. So no, I feel goal scoring wise (which we need), he doesn't belong in the top 6, and of the bottom 6, he rates as the 7th - sorry.

Holden most certainly is not a number 3, but I paired him as Roy does on the second pairing as he does at present with Barrie. Not sure why this is so outrageous to you?

Re Mitchell. I love him as a player. Always have, always will. There is a reason he has spent time on the 2nd line. Again, this the coaches decisioning, not mine.

So laugh at my opinion all you want. You could have come across a whole lot more respectful if you chose to.

Yeah I could have, but I didn't choose to. Nothing personal about it.

I say you guys should settle this over another worm-eating bet.

I never had any worm eating bets, who did that lol?

Though I do have a bet that both Bigras and Zadorov will be in the NHL full time next year worth 100$ lol.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
I don't even know where to begin with that evaluation of Grigorenko - especially contrasted to your evaluation of Mitchell. "There is a reason he has spent time on the 2nd line." Yeah, because Roy sometimes makes questionable calls and lack of depth / injuries. Or do you think Nate Guenin getting top 4 minutes was indicative, in a positive manner, of his abilities too?

Incidentally...you use Grigorenko getting top 6 minutes to put him down, insinuating he didn't produce enough when given the chance with top players - then use Mitchell getting top 6 minutes, even though he produced even less than Grigorenko, to boost his worth? Interesting agenda and double standard there.

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
I don't even know where to begin with that evaluation of Grigorenko - especially contrasted to your evaluation of Mitchell. "There is a reason he has spent time on the 2nd line." Yeah, because Roy sometimes makes questionable calls and lack of depth / injuries. Or do you think Nate Guenin getting top 4 minutes was indicative, in a positive manner, of his abilities too?

Incidentally...you use Grigorenko getting top 6 minutes to put him down, insinuating he didn't produce enough when given the chance with top players - then use Mitchell getting top 6 minutes, even though he produced even less than Grigorenko, to boost his worth? Interesting agenda and double standard there.

Because Grigorenko is SUPPOSED to be a top 2 line player. Mitchell is supposed to be a bottom line player. Game is also not just points. Mitchell is a great PK'er. like I say, he holds the puck well (is actually known as a hog - but I disagree).

Mitchell does more than his normal job as a 4th liner would allow. Grigorneko has been in the league since 2012, is a 12th overall draft choice. He has 41 points in 142 games (with 12 goals).

They aren't like for like players, surely?

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
Yeah I could have, but I didn't choose to. Nothing personal about it.

I never had any worm eating bets, who did that lol?

Though I do have a bet that both Bigras and Zadorov will be in the NHL full time next year worth 100$ lol.

Sakic stated in an interview that both will be in the NHL. Bank that 100 bucks man.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Sakic stated in an interview that both will be in the NHL. Bank that 100 bucks man.

I plan too especially since Roy made similar comments about it.

The deal is that neither of them can play a game in SA until Thanksgiving. I made sure and covered myself in case there was a paper transaction in order to get cap complaint before putting Stuart on LTIR. :D

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
I'd argue Grigorenko is better defensively than Mitchell. Not as physically, but much better stick work and positioning. To say he can't fit in the bottom 6 is flat out wrong.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
The problem with Grigo in a bottom 6 role is that he provides no energy. It isn't a deal breaker in the bottom 6, but I'd prefer a player that can provide some energy shifts from time to time on the 3rd and 4th lines.

The point is moot if Grigo can move to LW and stay engaged though. He will be a decent 2nd liner if he can do that.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
Honestly, I would rather see Mitchell on that 4th line. Grigo just doesn't have the puck carrying ability that Mitchell does. Mitchell being a puck hog is good with linemates like that. But, with those 13 forwards I don't know why we are talking Mitchell/Grigo. McLeod seems to be a step below everyone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad