Confirmed with Link: JT Compher Signs ELC

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
Usually I'd be pretty skeptical about him starting in Colorado but they might have had to make some promises to get him to sign. We'll see how many bottom 6 guys they sign or if they somehow get rid of Mitchell. Compher might be given a real strong look at camp at least.

Huh? Why the heck would you get rid of Mitchell? 21 points in 70 odd games for a 4th liner on 1.8 million?

Also, Mcleod, Mitchell, Comeau, Soderberg, Iginla are all already under contract, so you have a choice of Skille, Martinsen & Matthias as the last plug. I'm assuming our 6 goals, in 74 games goal scoring demon plays on the top 2 lines in Grigs.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Huh? Why the heck would you get rid of Mitchell? 21 points in 70 odd games for a 4th liner on 1.8 million?

Also, Mcleod, Mitchell, Comeau, Soderberg, Iginla are all already under contract, so you have a choice of Skille, Martinsen & Matthias as the last plug. I'm assuming our 6 goals, in 74 games goal scoring demon plays on the top 2 lines in Grigs.

People think Mitchell might be out the door :dunno: I don't have a strong feeling either way

Looking at Compher's contract compared to some of our others. He got max NHL salary, AHL salary and signing bonus. He does have some performance bonuses but they are pretty low. Its probably a bigger deal than a typical 2nd rounder gets but he didn't really raise the stakes with a high performance bonus.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta

Because he's dumb as a brick wall on the ice and plays more than 4th line minutes? He scored 4 goals in his first 4 games, he had 6 goals the remaining 67 games he played in. He averaged 15:14 TOI this season, 7 minutes more than Skille and 5 minutes more than McLeod, who were kept on the 4th line all season in a true 4th line role.

He's a luxury at this point. Compher as the 4C will be cheaper and more than likely a smarter player. If they can get anything for Mitchell, make the move.

Avs44

May 16, 2011

Rather have a prospect take his spot. Mitchell was pretty atrocious down the stretch. He's a 4th line forward asked to play a 3rd line role, but in a 4th line role he's expendable. Open his spot up, save some salary, and ensure we never have to see him in our top 6 again. I would love to see some house cleaning, e.g. moving out Holden and Mitchell, from the Avs this off-season. They have no future here.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
To say you have to be happy with Mitchell because he put up 21 points as a 4th line is a perfect example of cherry picking stats. How many of those points did he get while playing on the 4th line? How much time did he actually spend on the 4th line?

Iceberg

May 4, 2002
To say you have to be happy with Mitchell because he put up 21 points as a 4th line is a perfect example of cherry picking stats. How many of those points did he get while playing on the 4th line? How much time did he actually spend on the 4th line?

But, is it his fault that he is given a bigger role than he is capable of handling, so often?

I like Mitchell as the 4th line center very much, maybe a bit overpaid.

I like him a lot less on the 3rd line, but if he is there to fill in for a injury for a few weeks, that is fine, i guess.

Now, he should never be on the top 6 in any capacity, but that is not his call, that is on Roy.

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany

Mitchell took a step or two in the wrong direction this year. He had a great start but looking back at the whole season he was weaker offensively than usual and he wasn't nearly as good defensively as he used to be. It's time to move on before he'll lose more value imo.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
But, is it his fault that he is given a bigger role than he is capable of handling, so often?

I like Mitchell as the 4th line center very much, maybe a bit overpaid.

I like him a lot less on the 3rd line, but if he is there to fill in for a injury for a few weeks, that is fine, i guess.

Now, he should never be on the top 6 in any capacity, but that is not his call, that is on Roy.

It is not, however it is foolish to say he did good because he scored some points playing with good linemates.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Mitchell was just going through the motions this season. It's not the lack of points that's the most troubling, it's how little impact he has on a game when given favorable matchups.

I think he, McLeod and Skill were excellent for the first month and a half or so. After that Mitchell was a ghost.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Mitchell was just going through the motions this season. It's not the lack of points that's the most troubling, it's how little impact he has on a game when given favorable matchups.

I think he, McLeod and Skill were excellent for the first month and a half or so. After that Mitchell was a ghost.

Yep, he looked disengaged and uninterested at times.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Mitchell is a good 4th liner, but he's a very expensive one. That's the reason why he would be traded. I've personally had enough of watching him, but I'm sure that unlike a lot of our depth players, he might have a little bit of value.

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!
Awesome. Glad they got that done. I consider him our 2nd best prospect, so it's good to know he is in the fold.

A decent chance he makes the team, but will depend on who else they bring in this off-season. Also depends on if they win one of the lotto selections on Saturday.

Iracundia

Jun 19, 2011
Great news that he signed. Can't wait to see what he does in camp. Curious to see if he's developed at center or right wing. Now that that's out of the way hopefully the good vibe continues to the lottery.

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
Good to see, although I was never really worried about him bolting. I won't be the least bit surprised if he starts in the AHL next year.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
I'm wondering if the days of Avs players signing ELCs and then playing in the NHL that same season are over. Wouldn't surprise me in the least if Compher plays the whole season in San Antonio.

The Avs play Mitchell at depth center in the last year of his contract, Compher replaces him next season after getting a year of AHL hockey under his belt. An unreasonable scenario?

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
Mitchell is a good 4th liner, but he's a very expensive one. That's the reason why he would be traded. I've personally had enough of watching him, but I'm sure that unlike a lot of our depth players, he might have a little bit of value.

In the 3 seasons prior to this last one, I actually liked Mitchell on the team. For a depth forward, he had acceptable offensive skill, acceptable defensive performance, could play C or W, could play on lines 2-4, 10g/30pts or so, on a fairly reasonable contract.

But this past season, his play was just damn ugly. Might be good trade deadline bait, if the Avs aren't in playoff position next February. *cough*

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I'm wondering if the days of Avs players signing ELCs and then playing in the NHL that same season are over. Wouldn't surprise me in the least if Compher plays the whole season in San Antonio.

The Avs play Mitchell at depth center in the last year of his contract, Compher replaces him next season after getting a year of AHL hockey under his belt. An unreasonable scenario?

Compher is 21 year old and has the defensive game and motor to do well in a bottom six role. I think he might be an upgrade on several of them and certainly is a better hockey player than Martinsen.

If Avs manage to re-sign Matthias, perhaps things change. Have to find spots for him and Rantanen next year in that case.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Compher's compete level is probably what will punch his ticket to the big club next year. Roy will fall in love with it and he will move up the lineup. Compher will have his share of mistakes and his flaws will show, but his compete will never be questioned.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Compher's compete level is probably what will punch his ticket to the big club next year. Roy will fall in love with it and he will move up the lineup. Compher will have his share of mistakes and his flaws will show, but his compete will never be questioned.

Finally someone I can get behind Roy falling in love with, the last acceptable one was O'Reilly. Beyond MacKinnon obviously.

If Compher pushes Mitchell out of favor that will make me such a happy person. I'd be fine with Compher being used exactly as Mitchell was used this year.

Adding Compher & Radulov both to that dressing room would be a damn good shot of adrenaline.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Finally someone I can get behind Roy falling in love with, the last acceptable one was O'Reilly. Beyond MacKinnon obviously.

If Compher pushes Mitchell out of favor that will make me such a happy person. I'd be fine with Compher being used exactly as Mitchell was used this year.

Adding Compher & Radulov both to that dressing room would be a damn good shot of adrenaline.

A full year of Rantanen, Bigras, and Zadorov as well.

All those young players chomping at the bits to get some playing time and prove themselves in the league should really push the others on the team to do better as well.

Throw in Radulov who cares about winning more then anything else and we should have a fired up group next year.

IF, we start next season off with this lineup:

Landy - Mack - Rantanen
Radulov - Duchene - Iginla(We wont get rid of him)
Greg - Soderberg - Matthias
McCleod - Compher - Comeau

Bigras - EJ
Beauch - Zadorov
Holden - Barrie

Varly/Picks

I think that is a lineup capable of playoff hockey. And it if misses it'd be no excuse for Roy.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
A full year of Rantanen, Bigras, and Zadorov as well.

All those young players chomping at the bits to get some playing time and prove themselves in the league should really push the others on the team to do better as well.

Throw in Radulov who cares about winning more then anything else and we should have a fired up group next year.

IF, we start next season off with this lineup:

Landy - Mack - Rantanen
Radulov - Duchene - Iginla(We wont get rid of him)
Greg - Soderberg - Matthias
McCleod - Compher - Comeau

Bigras - EJ
Beauch - Zadorov
Holden - Barrie

Varly/Picks

I think that is a lineup capable of playoff hockey. And it if misses it'd be no excuse for Roy.

Not exactly the lines I'd pick, but with the removal of Holden I'd agree. You have to find a way to upgrade on him IMO, or as soon as one of the young D struggles Roy will turn to him like a damn Heroin addict.

I think my wish list goes like this,

#1 Nick Holden out of the starting lineup, if not the roster (The implications of an upgrade causing this are huge for the defense IMO)
#2 Hamonic
#3 Drouin
#4 Draft lottery

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad