Jost, Nieto, or Calvert

MaKarter

Big Game Bo
Jun 21, 2019
Fort Collins CO
It's a good problem to have. IF the playoffs happen as planned and we go on a run, we will need Jost, Nieto, and hopefully playoff Wilson at some point.

It just keeps guys like Kamenev and O'Connor safety away from the ice and closer to the Nacho's.

AvsMakar08

Feb 14, 2017
New York
Nieto should be sitting. Jost was better last playoffs; will be given at least one more year. However he will be on the shortest of leashes.

Sakic loves Jost and will not trade him for at least couple of years. (by the way, no one would even give us 2nd rounder for Jost as of now). Just imagine if Dallas had not given up on Nuke 1 season too early. Dallas is probably salivating for a player like Nuke now.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Unless Jost is playing the #3 center position and Compher is moving to wing, Jost should sit. There is an argument to give Jost the initial crack of playing #3C as he was one of the better players down the stretch and in last years playoffs.

Landy - Mack - Rants
Burakovsky - Kadri - Donskoi
Nuke - Jost - Compher
Calvert - Bellemare - Nieto/Namestnikov

Avsavsavsavsavs

Nov 30, 2017
Wilson shouldn't touch the lineup, doesn't matter how well he performed last playoffs or the offensive skill he has, boys have played well mostly and he's just been injured for so long.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
It has to be Nieto sitting out unless they plan to ship Jost off next season. Jost was really starting to show flashes of what he could do at the end of the season and was pretty good in last years Playoffs. That said, Jost and Nieto wish they were as important to the team as Calvert.
I would argue the opposite.

If they're planning on trading Jost this offseason then sitting him instead of Nieto would tank his trade value.

Obviously winning is more important than getting an extra pick, but the difference between Nieto and Jost isn't that big and in that context it would be better asset management to play the one you need to hold their value (as long as it doesn't hurt the team in the playoffs).

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Why is Calvert even an option here? Im slightly offended by this. I would sit Jost but Jared wouldnt. Jared would probably sit Nuke over Nieto or Jost.

I really dont think that's true anymore. He was given more and more responsibilities as the year went on, and by seasons end he was playing some of the highest minutes on the team among forwards.

He is seriously fantastic defensively and an absolute Hound on the forecheck. He's exactly the type of player you want in the playoffs and I think he really earned the trust of the coaching staff by seasons end.

I think it ends up being Nieto who sits, because Jost has a touch more versatility that Nieto doesn't have(Jost can play Center).

But I also wouldnt be shocked if they both end up sitting at some point during the playoffs, possibly even both at the same time with Wilson drawing in over the both of them.

Landy - Mack - Burakovsky
Donskoi - Kadri - Rantanen
Nuke - Compher - Namestnikov
Calvert

IMO, those 10 guys should be locks to play. PEB is pretty close to a lock but there's a couple scenarios where I could see him sitting for a game or two.

We have a ridiculous amount of depth heading into the playoffs though. When you can lost 4-5 legit NHL players vying for 2 roster spots that is a very good problem to have. And the Avs will have Nieto, PEB, Wilson, Jost fighting for a roster spot in "Camp".

Not to mention LOC, and Kaut that both really showed good things during NHL stints to close out the season.

Man I cant wait for the playoffs to begin. I really like this teams chances.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Easy answer here is Nieto, that doesn't mean that Jost could be traded in the offseason, but as Sakic told the reports they're heavily invested considering they drafted him 10th overall. You don't do that and give up on him in just a handful of seasons, even though I think we can all agree a trade for scenery is needed.

Nieto though is a good player, I suggest he's more useless when he's on a Cup contender. I mean I don't mind if he comes back at a reasonable rate, but I also think Avs should start relying on more talented ELC players such as Bowers, O'Connor, and Kaut. He seems like that type of player where he's good on an average or bad team, but gets lost in the shuffle when he's on a good or great club. I think that's why the Sharks weren't really scared about losing him on waivers when they did that. I don't think he's been as good as HFAvs says he's been even though he's setting career numbers.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Nieto was the most relied upon PK forward on the team. It seems like the easy out, but Bednar trusts him in that role and in the playoffs you don't take a top member from a specialty teams unit.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
He's average at best for a PKer, Namaste I suggest is already the best player on the team for the PK. Has the skating, but IQ traits needed to close off angles and shooting lanes.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
He's average at best for a PKer, Namaste I suggest is already the best player on the team for the PK. Has the skating, but IQ traits needed to close off angles and shooting lanes.

I agree that Nieto really isn't the best PKer on the team, and there are others who I think would probably be better... but... my opinion isn't the one throwing out the lineup. That is Bednar's job. Nieto has lead the Avs forwards in PK time this season and last season. He was 3rd two seasons ago behind two players who aren't here anymore. He is Bednar's most trusted PK forward and has been for his tenure here. Coaches don't tend to take away their most trusted players on special teams during the playoffs all that often.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I’d probably have Jost in over Nieto, but if Bednar values chemistry he probably rolls a forward group of...

Landy - MacK - Rants
Nuke - Kadri - Bura
Namestnikov - Compher - Don
Calvert - Bellemare - Nieto

The 1st, 2nd, and 4th kind have spent a good amount of time together this season. The 3rd not so much, but that’s probably the best they could do in terms of continuity.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Nieto seems to be one guy whose good at creating offensive chances out of the PK as well, which IMO is a factor that should be given more value on the PK. I dont think you should be killing penalties solely with the mindset or goal of not being scores on. If you can get an offensive opportunity out of the PK you should be trying to do that and I think Nieto does that the most out of our PKers.

If it was me, the decision for that last spot wouldn't really be much of a decision. Jost would sit, Wilson would sit. Calvert/Nieto/PEB would be the 4th line, we have seen thosen3 have some real success as a 4th line that can get sustained offensive zone time that really helps wear down defensive units, especially important in the playoffs and in a 7 game series.

Wilson would be my first draw in depending on what his game pace is like and how much rust he has.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Personally, the player I'd have the least leash for is Donskoi. He is so incredibly streaky and just flat out bad for long stretches where I wouldn't hesitate to sit him if he starts off poorly. The guy had 6 points over his last 35 games. There was the concussion that split that, but he was borderline bad for a long stretch. And this isn't his first season of doing that disappearing act. If he starts off like that in the round robin, I'd sit him. I would even play Jost over Donskoi if he looks like he did to end the season.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Wilson would be my first draw in depending on what his game pace is like and how much rust he has.

Wilson is ahead of the other two in the pecking order. If healthy he should be the one dressed on opening night.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Real talk here...how can Namestnikov become "Namaste"? That's so ugly :laugh:
"Namest" rhymes with pest, not paste.
It rhymes with "stay", actually, not "paste". It's some kind of hippie saying that means peace to all or something like that.

Reactions: Balthazar

Avs91

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2013
Wyoming
There’s going to be a mini training camp before games start (if all goes smoothly). I think all of these guys except Nuke are going to have to earn it, basically. I don’t see how that’s unfair when everyone has been sitting so long and whoever comes out hot is probably going to be in.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
It rhymes with "stay", actually, not "paste". It's some kind of hippie saying that means peace to all or something like that.
Oh I see, thanks. Since it's a word it makes a little more sense I guess. I thought it was just a very bad abbreviation.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
There’s going to be a mini training camp before games start (if all goes smoothly). I think all of these guys except Nuke are going to have to earn it, basically. I don’t see how that’s unfair when everyone has been sitting so long and whoever comes out hot is probably going to be in.

Nuke will have to earn it too. They've all had basically three months off. That's basically the normal summer break for Stanley Cup finalists.

It doesn't matter how well Nuke played this year, if he can't duplicate that same effort level defensively, and level of engagement on the forecheck in the mini camp. The same way his season wouldn't guarantee him a spot on the opening roster next year.

All these bottom six types will have to earn it. Only Calvert and PEB are locks IMO. Especially when Bednar always talks about his players having to earn their minutes, which he almost always follows through on too.

Someone like Compher is probably a lock to start the playoffs, but he's not a lock to stay. Bednar could scratch him in favor of one of the other bottom six guys if he doesn't play well.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Nuke will have to earn it too. They've all had basically three months off. That's basically the normal summer break for Stanley Cup finalists.

It doesn't matter how well Nuke played this year, if he can't duplicate that same effort level defensively, and level of engagement on the forecheck in the mini camp. The same way his season wouldn't guarantee him a spot on the opening roster next year.

All these bottom six types will have to earn it. Only Calvert and PEB are locks IMO. Especially when Bednar always talks about his players having to earn their minutes, which he almost always follows through on too.

Someone like Compher is probably a lock to start the playoffs, but he's not a lock to stay. Bednar could scratch him in favor of one of the other bottom six guys if he doesn't play well.

That's actually a pretty huge benefit that I never really considered before. Outside of Mack, Landy, Rants, Kadri, and Bura basically every other forward will be fighting for a spot. Players like Compher, Bellemare, Nuke, Donskoi, and Calvert are pretty much locks at the start of camp, but if they play poorly or don't show up ready to go there's 3-4 other players that can take the spot.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Wilson is ahead of the other two in the pecking order. If healthy he should be the one dressed on opening night.

I dont agree, mostly because I don't think he'll be up to speed and "healthy" like the rest of the lineup.

The 3 game round Robin will be a good opportunity to try some things with the bubble guys and see whose ready to go the quickest.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Bednar's not gonna bench Nieto. It's either Jost or Wilson and it all depends on what kind of condition Wilson's in. The good news for him is that everyone is going to need re-conditioning to a certain extent and he will have ample opportunity to prove he's ready. If it comes down to him or Jost, no question: Wilson.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad