Jost, Nieto, or Calvert

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Nieto has PK use. Can never have enough of them. Jost is useless when he isn't scoring, which is 90% of the time.

That's not really true though. Jost is one of the better defensive forwards on the team. It's one of the main reasons he doesn't get scratched, despite his scoring slumps.

He competes hard and contributes defensively almost every game. He's one of the best players on the team in making smart decisions with the puck near his blueline, to gets the puck out of the D zone too.

Jost also manages the puck better than I think people realize too. He doesn't win all his battles down low, but he doesn't just give the puck away either. Among all the NHL regulars on the Avs, Jost had the fewest giveaways this season. He had the fewest giveaways/60 as well.

The final 14 games of the season, after Calvert got injured, Jost was 4th among forwards in PK ice time per game too, averaging 1:11 per game. During those final 14 games of the season, the Avs actually had the best PK in the NHL at 94.6%. :eek2: So he at least contributed a little to that success.

It's his offense that's been the problem due to inconsistency. IMO mostly because he has a bad habit of coasting, when he needs to keep his feet moving to give himself time and space to make plays when he gets the puck. He's always much better at this when he's on his game though.

NHL.com Stats

NHL.com Stats

NHL.com Stats

Reactions: Richard88

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Jost has not, Nieto has.

I’m going with Wilson and Nieto as the scratches because JB isn’t going to favor Willie after missing almost a whole year and Nieto is replaced by a better Namestnikov. And both should be gone whenever the offseason begins. I also don’t assume they can escape camp fully healthy because they never do.

Bednar didn't really play Namestnikov on the PK much though. He was 5th in shorthanded minutes, behind Jost even. It just seems hard to believe Bednar will scratch his favorite PKer to start the playoffs. That role is too important.

Namestnikov played just 5:42 on the PK in the 9 games after the trade, averaging 0:38 per game. Nieto led all forwards with 29:02 in that time, averaging 3:14 per game.

Namestnikov didn't play on the PK at all in the final game of the regular season either. Against NYR in the east that he's more familiar with too. Nieto played a whopping 5:41. Which was 1:40 more than the next guy Bellemare.

I don't think Nieto is a particularly amazing PKer, and Namestnikov may be just as good or better, but Bednar loves Nieto on the PK, and I'm not sure the brief training camp will change his mind much.

NHL.com Stats

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Bednar didn't really play Namestnikov on the PK much though. He was 5th in shorthanded minutes, behind Jost even. It just seems hard to believe Bednar will scratch his favorite PKer to start the playoffs. That role is too important.

Namestnikov played just 5:42 on the PK in the 9 games after the trade, averaging 0:38 per game. Nieto led all forwards with 29:02 in that time, averaging 3:14 per game.

Namestnikov didn't play on the PK at all in the final game of the regular season either. Against NYR in the east that he's more familiar with too. Nieto played a whopping 5:41. Which was 1:40 more than the next guy Bellemare.

I don't think Nieto is a particularly amazing PKer, and Namestnikov may be just as good or better, but Bednar loves Nieto on the PK, and I'm not sure the brief training camp will change his mind much.

NHL.com Stats

Keep in mind that Namestnikov played a top offensive role due to injuries. He'll have a different role when everyone is healthy.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Keep in mind that Namestnikov played a top offensive role due to injuries. He'll have a different role when everyone is healthy.

That's a good point. I don't see a brief training camp changing Bednar's mind much on his PK preferences though. Those things usually get set in stone for coaches, and take a full season or two to change.

I think Nieto will likely keep his spot on the top PK unit, but I could see Namestnikov sneaking into the 2nd unit at times if he's in the lineup. Same with Jost and maybe even Nichuskin.

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
Tyson Jost, believe it or not, is the most effective of the bunch.

JQGJ8SJMK
DmT1S0Z.png

EbU6CCa.png

AA9MB7e.png

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I love analytics as much as anyone on here, but I can't help but wonder if those might be skewed a bit. Both Calvert and Nieto take on a pretty heavy defensive load for the Avs, whereas I don't think Jost does. Jost generally gets better linemates as well when playing in the top six, or he's heavily sheltered on the 4th line. Don't get me wrong, he's very clearly a legit NHL player, but these stats look a little inflated to me, whereas Nieto and Calvert take on a workload that ostensibly hurts those numbers.

Reactions: Northern Avs Fan

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Tyson Jost, believe it or not, is the most effective of the bunch.

JQGJ8SJMK
DmT1S0Z.png

EbU6CCa.png

AA9MB7e.png

No... he’s not.

I don’t give a damn what any chart says, Matt Calvert was the best player of that group this season.

Sorry... didn’t mean to come across so hostile. I just don’t see how Jost played better than Calvert this year.

Last edited:

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
No... he’s not.

I don’t give a damn what any chart says, Matt Calvert was the best player of that group this season.

Sorry... didn’t want to come across so hostile, I just don’t see how Jost played better than Calvert this year.

I would say Calvert definitely had the better season, but a lot of that is due to his intangibles. Not his skill level or production.

Calvert only had 2 more points and 4 more goals than Jost this year, though he played 17 less games.

Jost is also the more naturally talented player. He has the better pure shot, he's the better passer, and he handles the puck better. Calvert just played the game better this year.

So it's not that surprising that Jost would lead Calvert and the others in offensive analytics.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I would say Calvert definitely had the better season, but a lot of that is due to his intangibles. Not his skill level or production.

Calvert only had 2 more points and 4 more goals than Jost this year, though he played 17 less games.

Jost is also the more naturally talented player. He has the better pure shot, he's the better passer, and he handles the puck better. Calvert just played the game better this year.

So it's not that surprising that Jost would lead Calvert and the others in offensive analytics.

This season Matt Calvert was at his absolute best imo. Loved his game.

Even ignoring intangibles, Calvert was pacing for 24 goals and 41 points if healthy. His PPG pace was considerably better than Jost.

Like Calvert, Jost is a high effort guy. The difference between the two is Calvert is better at winning battles and plucking the puck out of the corner. I don’t know if it’s because he’s physically stronger, or just craftier, but for bottom-6 forwards that stuff matters. Calvert is also the more physical player.

Jost handles the puck better and certainly has more potential, but Calvert was superior this year.

Matt Calvert is the kind of player that drags other dudes into the fight. The Avs will miss him when he’s gone and it has nothing to do with his production.

Reactions: Linds and Foppa2118

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
This season Matt Calvert was at his absolute best imo. Loved his game.

Even ignoring intangibles, Calvert was pacing for 24 goals and 41 points if healthy. His PPG pace was considerably better than Jost.

Like Calvert, Jost is a high effort guy. The difference between the two is Calvert is better at winning battles and plucking the puck out of the corner. I don’t know if it’s because he’s physically stronger, or just craftier, but for bottom-6 forwards that stuff matters. Calvert is also the more physical player.

Jost handles the puck better and certainly has more potential, but Calvert was superior this year.

Matt Calvert is the kind of player that drags other dudes into the fight. The Avs will miss him when he’s gone and it has nothing to do with his production.

Totally agree, though I wonder if Calvert can duplicate the level of play he had this year, next season and into his mid 30's.

He's in a contract year next season though, so maybe we get another good season out of him.

Reactions: Northern Avs Fan

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
No... he’s not.

Sorry... didn’t mean to come across so hostile. I just don’t see how Jost played better than Calvert this year.

I'm just posting the charts, you can make your mind up for yourself.

Jost was one of the Avs best players in the last 10-12 games this season, so the numbers don't necessarily surprise me.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Jost was one of the Avs best players in the last 10-12 games this season, so the numbers don't necessarily surprise me.

Every season Jost has ended strong and he's due to break out (at least according to the board)... every following season has been a disappointment.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I'm just posting the charts, you can make your mind up for yourself.

Jost was definitely strong the last 10 games. I just don’t think he was as good overall as Calvert this year.

Jost’s finish to the season could earn him a spot in the lineup for the playoffs, but it won’t be at the expense of Calvert.

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
Every season Jost has ended strong and he's due to break out (at least according to the board)... every following season has been a disappointment.

Never said he was going to breakout. I said his last 10 games were strong.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com

NHL.com Stats
I agree that Bednar trusts Nieto and has a role for him but something has to give IF everyone is healthy. They aren’t scratching Namestnikov their deadline rental who played well in his 9 games plus the argument you made for Jost and his defensive value, they’ve never scratched him either. So I think Nieto just edges out by a hair.

Reactions: Foppa2118

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I agree that Bednar trusts Nieto and has a role for him but something has to give IF everyone is healthy. They aren’t scratching Namestnikov their deadline rental who played well in his 9 games plus the argument you made for Jost and his defensive value, they’ve never scratched him either. So I think Nieto just edges out by a hair.

Yeah I agree. My guesses were Nieto, Namestnikov, and Jost make the opening roster, and Nichuskin, Wilson, and Kamenev get scratched, with Nuke being the first guy to draw in.

Sucks for Nuke to get scratched after playing so well, but I think Jost's versatility to play center might give him an edge in such important games.

I don't think Bednar solidified the 3C in his mind this year, so he may want to give himself some options to break out the blender and mix it up during the game.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Yeah I agree. My guesses were Nieto, Namestnikov, and Jost make the opening roster, and Nichuskin, Wilson, and Kamenev get scratched, with Nuke being the first guy to draw in.

Sucks for Nuke to get scratched after playing so well, but I think Jost's versatility to play center might give him an edge in such important games..
This better not happen.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
I don't think Namestnikov was suppose to be more than a warm body - turned out to be a lot more than that but I wouldn't be surprised if he sits to start. He played 9 games and while he played well, Bednar has no idea how he'll gel with his linemates and playing less minutes.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019

Sucks for Nuke to get scratched after playing so well, but I think Jost's versatility to play center might give him an edge in such important games.

I don't think Bednar solidified the 3C in his mind this year, so he may want to give himself some options to break out the blender and mix it up during the game.
Nuke is built for the playoffs. I think his roster spot is pretty safe. As @PAZ said Namestnikov would be more likely to sit than Nuke.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
I'm betting on the scratches being Wilson, Nieto and Kamenev. I'd go with Nieto playing over Jost but this team loves the little guy.

Reactions: forsbergavs32

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I'd bet in the round robin, both Jost and Nieto are scratched. Health pending and how they look, I'd put the edge to Nieto. No way Nuke, Namestnikov, Calvert, etc are healthy scratched.

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
Landeskog - MacKinnon - Rantanen
Nichushkin - Kadri - Burakovsky
Namestnikov - Jost - Donskoi
Calvert - Bellemare - Compher

Would be my guess.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad