Jost, Nieto, or Calvert

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Bednar's not gonna bench Nieto. It's either Jost or Wilson and it all depends on what kind of condition Wilson's in. The good news for him is that everyone is going to need re-conditioning to a certain extent and he will have ample opportunity to prove he's ready. If it comes down to him or Jost, no question: Wilson.
Yeah Wilson will be rusty but so is everyone else. Is there a big difference between 8 months of inactivity and 3 months?

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Yeah Wilson will be rusty but so is everyone else. Is there a big difference between 8 months of inactivity and 3 months?

Probably not. I think it really just comes down to Wilson's overall fitness level and health. If he's 100% good to go then great. If the groin is still acting like a rubber band left in the freezer, then he probably sits.

Reactions: McMetal

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

An extra five months might be a big difference. It's hard to tell without seeing how Wilson looks.

A big part of your success and ability to jump back in at a high level, after extended layoffs, is your natural athleticism, and skill level with the puck. Then the main thing you have to work on is getting your timing back.

Wilson is a great team guy and works hard, but he's not a high level athlete, or a guy with a high skill level. It's going to take him longer to get his shot and passing skills up to par. Conditioning also comes back much quicker for high level athletes like Nate or Mikko than it does for someone like Wilson.

It might be pretty tough for him to jump straight into the playoffs. Even with the long break for everyone else, there's still likely to be a fast pace, and a high intensity level.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Actually assuming that they resume playing in August it's going to be 9 months off for Wilson and 5 months off for everyone else. I don't see much of a difference here.

Reactions: McMetal

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
An extra five months might be a big difference. It's hard to tell without seeing how Wilson looks.

A big part of your success and ability to jump back in at a high level, after extended layoffs, is your natural athleticism, and skill level with the puck. Then the main thing you have to work on is getting your timing back.

Wilson is a great team guy and works hard, but he's not a high level athlete, or a guy with a high skill level. It's going to take him longer to get his shot and passing skills up to par. Conditioning also comes back much quicker for high level athletes like Nate or Mikko than it does for someone like Wilson.

It might be pretty tough for him to jump straight into the playoffs. Even with the long break for everyone else, there's still likely to be a fast pace, and a high intensity level.
I mean, even the Colin Wilsons of the NHL are high level, freak athletes in the grand scheme of things. As far as conditioning and fitness goes there isn't really a meaningful difference between Wilson and MacKinnon. Raw talent, sure, but Wilson has been able to stick as an NHL player for a lot of years, there's no reason to think he would be extra vulnerable to getting rusty. As like Balthazar pointed out, the difference between 9 months and 5 months is kind of irrelevant.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I mean, even the Colin Wilsons of the NHL are high level, freak athletes in the grand scheme of things. As far as conditioning and fitness goes there isn't really a meaningful difference between Wilson and MacKinnon. Raw talent, sure, but Wilson has been able to stick as an NHL player for a lot of years, there's no reason to think he would be extra vulnerable to getting rusty. As like Balthazar pointed out, the difference between 9 months and 5 months is kind of irrelevant.

Bruh?

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Like, the difference between him and MacKinnon is way smaller than the difference between you and Colin Wilson. My point is that they're ALL elite athletes at that level, you don't stay in the NHL if you're not. Even Phil Kessel is pretty damn fit compared to 99% of non-athletes.

Reactions: Northern Avs Fan

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Like, the difference between him and MacKinnon is way smaller than the difference between you and Colin Wilson. My point is that they're ALL elite athletes at that level, you don't stay in the NHL if you're not. Even Phil Kessel is pretty damn fit compared to 99% of non-athletes.

Oh, you got that right.

Me attempting an Avs conditioning test.

upload_2020-6-11_21-52-11.gif

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

There's levels to everything. Both Wilson and MacKinnon are hard workers. But the things Nathan MacKinnon does in his off season workouts with Sid, are things that Colin Wilson is not capable of doing. At least not nearly as well as Nate and Sid do them. That's because he doesn't have anywhere near the natural athleticism they do.

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
Given the roles that are available, I prefer Nieto in the lineup over Jost. He has some good playoff moments too. Jost is too much of a wildcard.

I will say this though, not many teams have the luxury of having to scratch 2 players of Jost/Wilson/Nieto caliber.

Reactions: DanishAvsfan

Mighty Makar

I hate this fu*ken team
May 24, 2016
I think Nieto will sit. Calvert’s a f***en beauty. Jost and Big Z will be traded in the off-season, whenever that is.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
To my knowledge only one of these three has ever been a healthy scratch for the Avalanche, and he’s the answer here.

Easily Jost.
Jost has not, Nieto has.

I’m going with Wilson and Nieto as the scratches because JB isn’t going to favor Willie after missing almost a whole year and Nieto is replaced by a better Namestnikov. And both should be gone whenever the offseason begins. I also don’t assume they can escape camp fully healthy because they never do.

Reactions: shadow1

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Jost has not, Nieto has.

I’m going with Wilson and Nieto as the scratches because JB isn’t going to favor Willie after missing almost a whole year and Nieto is replaced by a better Namestnikov. And both should be gone whenever the offseason begins. I also don’t assume they can escape camp fully healthy because they never do.
Good point about Namestnikov replacing Nieto on the PK.

If Nieto isn't on the top PK unit then it's hard to justify him over Jost.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Jost has not, Nieto has.

Nieto has PK use. Can never have enough of them. Jost is useless when he isn't scoring, which is 90% of the time.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
Jost has not, Nieto has.

You're right, Nieto was a healthy scratch in early 2018 and Jost hasn't been. I was thinking of when Jost was sent to the AHL last year and thought I remembered him being a scratch...I was wrong.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->