Jost, Nieto, or Calvert

Avs9296

Jul 1, 2019
Personally for me it's a wash between Nieto and Jost. Nieto provides more speed and better PK, Jost can play center and has better hands (sometimes). I wouldn't be upset either way really

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Most definitely not Calvert. He's not even in the discussion.

Jost or Nieto. Maybe Nuke but unlikely. Calvert? Never.

Definitely not Nuke, he's literally the best Defensive forward on this team AINEC.

I'd say Jost should be, but it probably end up Nieto. The beauty of it is with the depth we have, we have a really good 4th liner in Nieto ready to draw into the lineup if an injury hits or a roster adjustment needs to be made.

Reactions: Foppberg

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
To my knowledge only one of these three has ever been a healthy scratch for the Avalanche, and he’s the answer here.

Easily Jost.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Calvert 100% plays. The last spot is only between Jost, Nieto, and Wilson.

Nieto is on the top PK unit which probably means he's in. But do you really want to tank Jost's trade value by scratching him? Will be intriguing to follow either way.

Reactions: MarkT and ljb4

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
If you want to ice the best possible team... It's got to be Jost. You can talk about offensive potential with Jost all you want, but he had the same number of goals and only two more apples than Nieto did this season, so their offensive output is a wash. Add that Nieto plays a game better suited to the bottom six and can kill penalties and advantage 83 all the way.

The real question is Nieto or Wilson... Wilson came up big in the playoffs last year as a secondary scoring option, and he's bigger. That's a toss-up for me as to who you want flanking Bellemare depending on if you want offensive punch or speed and defense in your lineup.

Reactions: Richard88

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Here are the locks in a healthy lineup. Compher isn't quite a lock but I don't see him being a scratch until he plays himself out of the lineup.

Landy - MacK - Mikko
Bura - Kadri - Donskoi
XX - Compher - XX
Calvert - Belly - XX

These are the guys in competition for the three openings, in order of likelihood IMO. I think Nieto is almost a lock because of the PK. He also has proven chemistry with that 4th line in the past.

Nieto
Namestnikov
Jost
Nichuskin
Wilson
Kamenev

Namestnikov, Nichuskin, and Jost I think will battle it out for the remaining two spots. Namestnikov may have an edge with his playoff experience with Tampa, and so they can evaluate him a little more before deciding whether to bring him back or not.

Jost may have a bit of an edge over Nuke despite Nuke having a very good season. I think they may want Jost as an option at center. Then they can flip Jost and JTC depending on who's playing better down the middle. Would be tough to scratch Nuke, but they have plenty of offense, and he's behind Landy, Kadri, Belly, Donskoi, and Namestnikov defensively IMO. He'll likely get swapped in for someone after a loss.

I'd be surprised if they went with Wilson after he missed basically the whole season. I know everyone else has been out a while too, but he missed the whole season basically. It's gonna be tough for him to get his conditioning and timing back. He's not Peter Forsberg.

My guess is Nieto, Namestnikov and Jost make the final cuts.

Last edited:

95snipes

Dec 11, 2019
Won't happen but both should be

Edit and Calvert's not in the discussion. Not even close

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Calvert played a top line role, albeit briefly, but he also proved he had another level to his game. Some of that was just percentage-driven but even before he got put on MacKinnon's line he and Bellemare were dominant defensively.

Nieto is a key PK guy and defensive depth forward. And frankly the coach just really likes him.

Jost is more talented than either guy but the lack of skating and inconsistency probably means he's the odd man out.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
We have a pretty solid team. I almost forgot how deep the roster is.

One of the deepest Avalanche teams ever TBH. A lot of the old lineups weren't that deep, because PL didn't like paying his 4th liners very much.

Avs will have the luxury of some good extra forwards should they need them. On defense too, if Timmins has gotten closer to NHL ready, he could be a great extra D man as well.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
To even suggest that Calvert could be scratched in the playoffs is borderline offensive.

As for Jost vs Nieto, in a vacuum it should be Nieto...but:

1) Nieto is gone at the end of the season
and
2a) Either they want to trade Jost this summer and not playing him would tank his value even more
or
2b) They want Jost to gain confidence and not playing him would go against that

So because of that I could see Nieto sitting and Jost playing. Also Jost was playing better after the trade deadline so that could be the "official" reason.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
To even suggest that Calvert could be scratched in the playoffs is borderline offensive.

As for Jost vs Nieto, in a vacuum it should be Nieto...but:

1) Nieto is gone at the end of the season
and
2a) Either they want to trade Jost this summer and not playing him would tank his value even more
or
2b) They want Jost to gain confidence and not playing him would go against that

So because of that I could see Nieto sitting and Jost playing. Also Jost was playing better after the trade deadline so that could be the "official" reason.

I don't think they would play Jost over Nieto based on their situations. I think they would genuinely let Bednar make a "who helps the team the most" decision.

Plus it will be really hard to bump Nieto when he leads all forwards in shorthanded ice time per game. Even if he's not playing well 5 on 5, that's not a player a coach would want to lose.

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
Calvert was money next to PAB, he's probably safe. Jost is most likely the weak man out here, but I agree it probably comes down to Jost/Nieto. Nieto is much better on the PK than Jost, that has to give him the edge.

Knowing the way our season has gone with injuries, they'll both be playing after a game or two.

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
Assuming everyone is healthy we should have:

landy-MacK-Rants
Nuke-Kadri-Bura
Name-Compher-Don
Nieto-Belly-Calvert

There will be switches based on how players are playing/injuries, but Nieto had a very good playoffs last year with 7 points in 12 games. Hard to take that out of the lineup and I ultimately only care about winning not the value of Jost. Short sighted? Maybe, but it’s time to play the players that give us the best chance to win.

El Travo

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?
Aug 11, 2015
It has to be Nieto sitting out unless they plan to ship Jost off next season. Jost was really starting to show flashes of what he could do at the end of the season and was pretty good in last years Playoffs. That said, Jost and Nieto wish they were as important to the team as Calvert.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Nieto should be sitting. Jost was better last playoffs; will be given at least one more year. However he will be on the shortest of leashes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad