Josh Leivo

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Leivo should be given a chance this camp, I think if he can't outplay Ennis or some other scrub on the 4th line, he should be moved for some later round picks before waivers.

I don't think that is the case though, he's got high compete level and good on the cycle, so he can fit that fourth line role for now. Maybe if/when Marleau gets moved next year he can move up the lineup having earned some trust from Babcock this season. Otherwise Grundstrom will be knocking for that job too.

I think the perceived issue is that Babcock doesn't like him. I'm not sure that's the case, you had JVR, Hyman, Marleau and esp. Komarov taking his potential spots, the team was relatively injury free and Martin was a defecto 4th line winger as well.

He has ample opportunity with 3 spots vacated. Johnsson is all but given the third line left wing slot, Leivo I'd say he almost a lock to make the team as the 4 line left winger unless he gets injured in camp.

Reactions: Marrner

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Leivo or his father must have told Babcock, the truth, the guy is the most overrated baboon in the NHL.

Leivo strikes, he thrusts, he battles on the boards, he gives it everything he has.

Please Dubas, let this guy go and show how bad Babcock is... Soon.

I just think Babcock is the most overpaid goof in sports history.

so w/o Leivo 105pts and w/Leivo ......Prince of Wales?

in all seriousness I believe Leivo is a guy who can play in the NHL and eventually will, he had decent numbers in the AHL, his skating is average but lacks what you'd call breakaway speed, doesn't shy away from contact and has decent hands, he's played with the 3rd line and looked like he fit, he's played on the 4th line and doesn't look like he's NHL ready.

I think that if he comes into camp in the best shape of his career the Leafs should give him 15-18 mins a game in the exhibition season basically with Naz and Connor Brown, give him some time on the PK and on the PP. Run him ragged and see how he handles it, I think he'll pass the test no problem but then one or two of Kapanen, Johnsson and Ennis will have to take a seat

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
NHL Player Stats - Corsica Hockey

select the last 2 seasons, select regular season, select even strength, select adjust, select minimum 1000 minutes, then sort by TOIqoc.

549. M.Letestu
550. Y.Weber
551. R.Reaves
552. M.Haley
553. M.Martin

Thanks, but what I'm really curious about is how are these stats collected? Are they collected during a live game or from post game video? Are there more than one stat collector per game or multiple?

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
I like Leivo as well. But really Brown , Kapanen, Johnsson, Ennis and maybe Grundstrom make him expendable... He should be given a fresh start somewhere else.

drewjenks

Oct 1, 2017
Canada
It's not unfair he's simply not good enough it's that simple.

If Leivo was good enough they would make room for him like they have for Johnsson, Kapanen, Dermott, Gauthier although in Gauthier case he failed but they still made room for him.

Leivo simply is not good enough

When you say "they" you're only talking about Babcock.

Babcock won't give him a real chance because he want's proven PK guys in his bottom six.

But the truth about 2016-17 is:

- Leivo got 10 points in 13 games early on in the season.
- While playing around 10 minutes per game
- While playing on the 4th line with Matt Martin
- He had a top-10 points per 60 in the NHL that year
- He had a +2 in the plus/minus column

And then he sat in the press-box for the rest of the season. That's discouraging to me....I don't even wan't to think about what it was like for him. He should get a chance to produce for the first 20 games this season....it should bolster his trade value even if he doesn't work out.

Playing Leivo for 25% of the season is not gonna take us out of the playoffs....and it's good asset management.

MagicalRazor

Oct 25, 2016
He has to make the 4th line wing out of camp, if not he will get moved for a conditional pick.
this all day . He has to earn his spot this is his camp its up to him he has a really hard road only spot for him is on the 4th line and we Levio , Carl Grundstrom , Pierre Engvall , Mason Marchment , Trevor Moore , Tyler Ennis all fighting for that 1 spot

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
i mean this team is lacking some physical play, some size, some toughness badly...he really shouldnt lose any spots to ennis or grundstrom, but who knows, maybe grunny wows us but come on you still gotta make 13 guy over ennis...never in his many many years as a leaf did he have such a good chance at playing opening night and sticking with team

lets hope leivo gets his chance and never look back, just like marner, nylander, brown, hyman, and soon kapanen and johnsson

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Only on this Forum would people be arguing that our Coach does not have the best interest of the Leafs in mind when he is coaching them and filling out his lineup for each game.

News Flash. If Levio does make the Leafs roster it is on him as he lacks the overall skill set to play in the role we need him to play. It is really that simple. No sinister reason at all. I am also fine if he sits in the press box for most of the season again if he is the insurance we need in case of injury. We are paying him well so I have no sympathy for him at all as he signed that contract extension last year.

nathanb83

Aug 15, 2018
I know everyone is on the Johnsson / Kapanen hypetrain -- and for good reason -- but I actually see Leivo playing his way onto the 2nd line beside Tavares and Marner. He knows how to get open in the slot and puts the puck in the net. Not only does his style gel with the play of Tavares and Marner but it would also boost any potential trade value Leivo has.

Plus, that allows Hyman to slot into the role Komarov previously filled on Kadri's wing and gives them a true shutdown line that can also dictate play, wear teams down, and put up some points.

Having said that, Leivo does need to work on his footspeed and hopefully he comes into camp in the best shape of his life. Otherwise, toodaloo -- off to the waiver wire he goes.

Marleau - Matthews - Nylander

Leivo - Tavares - Marner

Hyman - Kadri - Brown

Johnnson - Lindholm - Kapanen

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Johnsson - Matthews - Nylander
Leivo - Tavares - Marner
Grundstrom - Kadri - Kapanen
Hyman - Marleau - Brown

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
News Flash. If Levio does make the Leafs roster it is on him as he lacks the overall skill set to play in the role we need him to play. It is really that simple. No sinister reason at all. I am also fine if he sits in the press box for most of the season again if he is the insurance we need in case of injury.

No harm in having the best 13th forward in the league. :thumbu:

Reactions: diceman934

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Move Leivo and Zaitsev as a pieces for Petry
it's not the time to move Zaitsev, he had a bad season and will definitely be viewed as a risk at this point. But, if he comes back and has a season like his rookie season or better, all of a sudden he's a value contract with a ton of term. That's a good bet to make imo, hang on to him. He's a terrific #4 if he returns to his rookie year levels

Reactions: Eb

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
it's not the time to move Zaitsev, he had a bad season and will definitely be viewed as a risk at this point. But, if he comes back and has a season like his rookie season or better, all of a sudden he's a value contract with a ton of term. That's a good bet to make imo, hang on to him. He's a terrific #4 if he returns to his rookie year levels
At his salary, and the leafs cap situation, he needs to play a top 4 role. I don't think he can

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Only on this Forum would people be arguing that our Coach does not have the best interest of the Leafs in mind when he is coaching them and filling out his lineup for each game.

He may have the best interests of the Leafs in mind but that doesn't mean all of his decisions are the right ones. Komarov on the PP for example is one wtf are you thinking decision

News Flash. If Levio does make the Leafs roster it is on him as he lacks the overall skill set to play in the role we need him to play. It is really that simple

His stats and style of play would say otherwise. What skillset did Martin and Komarov have that allowed them to stay in the lineup? One for the whole year

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
At his salary, and the leafs cap situation, he needs to play a top 4 role. I don't think he can
He was every bit of that in his rookie year (played mostly a #2 role and was a little over his head but didn't drown like a Steve Santini). I don't think it's reasonable to expect that in a year where he was riddled with injuries and illnesses that his play will normalize at that level versus the level of his other NHL season

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Were you surprised when Lou didn't do anything with Leivo?

Yup, after hearing about Leivo trade request last year, but Lou is no longer here, so its now the new GMs responsibility.

Article : Maple Leafs’ Babcock responds to Josh Leivo trade request - Sportsnet.ca

Mike Babcock said Saturday he was unaware of the reported trade request made by Toronto Maple Leafs depth winger Josh Leivo ahead of the NHL’s Feb. 26 trade deadline.

According to Sportsnet’s Nick Kypreos, Leivo requested to Lamoriello that he either be inserted into the lineup or traded this month.

Following the Leafs’ 4-1 loss to the Bruins in Boston, the Toronto head coach referred reporters to general manager Lou Lamoriello on the matter.

“As far as Leivo goes, he hasn’t got a lot of opportunity to play, but I’d talk to Lou if I was you about that. I know nothing.”

Leivo signed a one-year, $925,000 extension in mid-November. “He’s a player that we like,” Babcock said at that time. “So if you like a guy, why wouldn’t you [re-sign him]?”
Since signing his deal, Leivo has played in just seven contests, registering one goal and one assist while seeing limited ice time.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
He was every bit of that in his rookie year (played mostly a #2 role and was a little over his head but didn't drown like a Steve Santini). I don't think it's reasonable to expect that in a year where he was riddled with injuries and illnesses that his play will normalize at that level versus the level of his other NHL season
I hope you are right. Any level of transitional ability on the right is highly needed

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Leivo should be given a chance this camp, I think if he can't outplay Ennis or some other scrub on the 4th line, he should be moved for some later round picks before waivers.

I don't think that is the case though, he's got high compete level and good on the cycle, so he can fit that fourth line role for now. Maybe if/when Marleau gets moved next year he can move up the lineup having earned some trust from Babcock this season. Otherwise Grundstrom will be knocking for that job too.

I think the perceived issue is that Babcock doesn't like him. I'm not sure that's the case, you had JVR, Hyman, Marleau and esp. Komarov taking his potential spots, the team was relatively injury free and Martin was a defecto 4th line winger as well.

He has ample opportunity with 3 spots vacated. Johnsson is all but given the third line left wing slot, Leivo I'd say he almost a lock to make the team as the 4 line left winger unless he gets injured in camp.

Tyler Ennis isn't a scrub

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad