Josh Leivo

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
How can anyone fault Leivo for not being as good on his second tryout. Can you imagine being a guy who almost got a PPG, then suddenly being nailed to the bench for like half a season?

Imagine the pressure on the guy when he finally gets out there.

IF he plays well, he is everything this team lacks, tough, great on the boards, good one timer.

Exactly what the team needs.

Justin Holl and Leivo must be soulmates and best friends.

I think Mike Babcock is the most overhyped, overrated person I have ever come across.

And his special accent and butchery of the english language are annoying as all out.

He talks about good pros, good people, meanwhile there are young children sitting in the stands behind him and the guy curses worse than a sailor on shore leave all game long.

This guy needs to go.

This is a parody account right? I don't like Babcock either but this stuff is way over the top.

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
Thanks, but what I'm really curious about is how are these stats collected? Are they collected during a live game or from post game video? Are there more than one stat collector per game or multiple?
Same here. IMO these stats are not objective at all.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Same here. IMO these stats are not objective at all.
data collection has always been the key to these stats, but no one can definitively say how it's done, is it peer reviewed, is there 40 guys with stop watches? is there one guy and 40 stop watches, is there any review on the data collection as to accuracy? do they ever stop for lunch???:laugh:

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Good luck finding any respectable scout that would back up your opinion that Kapanen lacks hockey sense.

Only thing he's lacking is size and he needs to cut down on the neutral zone turnovers.

Leivo is not even in the same tier as Kapanen. Kapanen will skate circles around teams in his prime.

I have to disagree.

I've seen zero evolution thus far in Kapanen's game in his 68 career games with the Leafs. He's been pretty much the exact same player the whole way through. This is all over 3 years too.

He lacks IQ, badly. I think seeing him and Andreas Johnsson together really showed this. You could see in real time Johnsson evolving and adapting to the NHL game-by-game and even in the Boston series he was constantly getting better.

Once

Stop ******* crying bro
Jul 16, 2010
I have to disagree.

I've seen zero evolution thus far in Kapanen's game in his 68 career games with the Leafs. He's been pretty much the exact same player the whole way through. This is all over 3 years too.

He lacks IQ, badly. I think seeing him and Andreas Johnsson together really showed this. You could see in real time Johnsson evolving and adapting to the NHL game-by-game and even in the Boston series he was constantly getting better.

Unfortunately I agree. He's too fast for his mind.

Reactions: Ziggdiezan

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Unfortunately I agree. He's too fast for his mind.
Grabner has always been that way too, Kapanen's speed will make him a good NHL'er even if it's just finishing opportunities created for him and using his legs to get himself prime scoring chances. Every now and again there's a flash of brilliance when his brain keeps up to his feet and hands but I agree that he generally looks like he doesn't know what his next move is when he gets going

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
data collection has always been the key to these stats, but no one can definitively say how it's done, is it peer reviewed, is there 40 guys with stop watches? is there one guy and 40 stop watches, is there any review on the data collection as to accuracy? do they ever stop for lunch???:laugh:

Agree, some fans quote these stats with blind faith without even knowing how they are collected.
Someone out there must know how it is done?????

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
Id love to see him on the 4th line to start the year.
In case of injury id much prefer having him on the 3rd line with Kadri than Ennis or anyone in the AHL right now.

Reactions: Mork

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Kapanen has played on the 4 th line with the expectations that goes along with it. His iq is more than fine. He does what is expected of him. He has made great strides in his defensive game as that is the role he has been given. He is far better then what some on here are writing about. As without context an opinion of him is just seen through what his coach wants him to do. He is very skilled and good defensively something he learned simce he became a pro. Questioning his IQ seems questionable at best as killing penalties effectively means making good reads and that is all IQ based.

Reactions: ToneDog

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
I have to disagree.

Except, unlike Johnsson, Kapanen has been repeatedly slotted with the worst players on squad. Did the production of Marner and Nylander blow peoples minds when they were put on the Leafs 4th line? No. Like Kapanen they slogged through and comparatively under-performed until they were reinstated up the line up.

Like Grabner, Kapanen needs at least one other speedster to compliment his capabilities on whatever line he is places on or he won't meet his potential, as Grabner achieved (53 goals in 132 games) in his recent 2 years in NY with Miller and Hayes.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Leivo's and Soshnikov's biggest issues not getting ice time in the last two years was there were so few injuries to wingers. So they they never got the opportunity, especially under the Babcock system of going with the the set lineup.
Now that JVR and Komarov have left, Leivo gets left in the press box again with the emergence of Johnson and Kapanen.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
thanks for the link but i think most of us know how the nhl does it, and how accurate they mostly are depending on the arena

i'm more interested in the corsi type stats and that kind of stat collection

all the main stats are from the stats the official scorers collect. the nhl scorer records every incident, including shot locations.

corsi just takes all the shot attempts recorded by the nhl scorer, including blocked and missed shots. xgf uses shot location and type, both of which are also recorded.

there are some people who take the time to do more specific stats like zone entries and such and such, and they spend countless thankless hours doing it, so maybe just say thanks to them.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Leivo's and Soshnikov's biggest issues not getting ice time in the last two years was there were so few injuries to wingers. So they they never got the opportunity, especially under the Babcock system of going with the the set lineup.
Now that JVR and Komarov have left, Leivo gets left in the press box again with the emergence of Johnson and Kapanen.

the difference between leivo and sosh is that sosh sucked balls.

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
if leivo is gonna do anything in the nhl with the leafs he better do it now, hes drafted like what 7-8 years ago, 25 is pretty much the start of your prime years and leivo is already entering it...and the competition for 12th and 13th forward is pretty weak

leivo can play, the main thing is, hes been like that 12-15 depth guy to start a year for like 5 years now, and every year guys younger then him has just passed him, with grunny maybe up next...this shows our scouting and depth more than anything, theres no conspiracies

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
if leivo is gonna do anything in the nhl with the leafs he better do it now, hes drafted like what 7-8 years ago, 25 is pretty much the start of your prime years and leivo is already entering it...and the competition for 12th and 13th forward is pretty weak

leivo can play, the main thing is, hes been like that 12-15 depth guy to start a year for like 5 years now, and every year guys younger then him has just passed him, with grunny maybe up next...this shows our scouting and depth more than anything, theres no conspiracies

Yeah except Martin played over him, as did Sosh, Komarov and whoever else Babcock could stick in there. Re-sign the guy, protect him in the draft, and yet he’s not good enough?
I call bs
Babcock has his pets and the guys he doesn’t like no matter what they do

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Yeah except Martin played over him, as did Sosh, Komarov and whoever else Babcock could stick in there. Re-sign the guy, protect him in the draft, and yet he’s not good enough?
I call bs
Babcock has his pets and the guys he doesn’t like no matter what they do

Leivo if he was good enough for the roles that were open would have played. Remember Carlyle did not play him much either so it is a conspiracy of both coaches you are saying.

Who are the other players he does not like?
I would like a list of these shunned players.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad