Player Discussion: Josh Ho-Sang Pt II

Status
Not open for further replies.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Well he’s not worthless but what do you think his trade value is at this point? Not saying I would trade him now but just wondering what you think his market value is right now.

Well reports in 2014 at the draft were that about half the teams in the NHL had Ho-Sang off their boards completely because of his attitude. I can't imagine any of them have now added him as a target.

Also take into account that he went end of 1st round and has been more of a headache than an asset thus dropping that value further.

End of day I think you get a 3rd/4th round pick for him, or at best a conditional 2nd if he plays a certain amount of NHL games for his new team in that first year.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
Well reports in 2014 at the draft were that about half the teams in the NHL had Ho-Sang off their boards completely because of his attitude. I can't imagine any of them have now added him as a target.

Also take into account that he went end of 1st round and has been more of a headache than an asset thus dropping that value further.

End of day I think you get a 3rd/4th round pick for him, or at best a conditional 2nd if he plays a certain amount of NHL games for his new team in that first year.

The smart move would be to throw him into a package for a player where he is not the main piece going back because he does not have the value for that, but for a team like Ottawa or Edmonton as a throw in they may rather him than a 3rd round pick.

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
How about teaching him to go out there and dominate his opponents?
That’s really it he should be best player on soundtigers and he was before he went up but since he has been back he is no where near that. His effort away from puck is non existent to the point where I’m shocked Thompson hasn’t sat him in some of the games. I guess they are probably hoping to move him so sitting him does them no good but if my non scout eye can see his effort level real scouts can also.

Reactions: bigtim1988

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
That’s really it he should be best player on soundtigers and he was before he went up but since he has been back he is no where near that. His effort away from puck is non existent to the point where I’m shocked Thompson hasn’t sat him in some of the games. I guess they are probably hoping to move him so sitting him does them no good but if my non scout eye can see his effort level real scouts can also.

The maturity excuse is reasonable when you are 18 and just coming out of high school, but sooner or later you need to shut up and play. I am disappointed that JHS has not grown up yet.

Bood12

Oct 12, 2016
Well he’s not worthless but what do you think his trade value is at this point? Not saying I would trade him now but just wondering what you think his market value is right now.
Not a whole lot which is why it is better to keep him around the organization, though I have a feeling Ho-Sang is looking to get out of here ASAP

Bood12

Oct 12, 2016
Ho-Sang is the 2nd most dynamic player in the organization, getting rid of him for anything less than a 1st round pick or a solid/legit prospect is dumb, though I am guessing it is out of the Isles hands as I do not see a regular spot opening for him anytime soon and I am sure he is counting the days to FA to see the other offers that are out there

Reactions: Pumpkin Pal

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Ho-Sang is the 2nd most dynamic player in the organization, getting rid of him for anything less than a 1st round pick or a solid/legit prospect is dumb, though I am guessing it is out of the Isles hands as I do not see a regular spot opening for him anytime soon and I am sure he is counting the days to FA to see the other offers that are out there
He was a 30th pick. One more slot from falling out of the 1st round. I like the guy too but there's no way on earth JHS brings back a 1st rounder based on his body of work. He hasn't done anything to enhance his value this year and nobody will give you a 1st or a high end prospect for a guy who has become another organization's headache.

Reactions: bigtim1988

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
Have we soured again on JHS? I thought he played well this year when he was called up. He played exactly the way the coach told him too. No flashy pants "my own way".

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

I think at some point you have to replace the word "dynamic" with "flashy". Dynamic usually involves high end skill that results in big offensive production. Flashy usually involves a bunch of fancy stickhandling that works on Youtube and "looks good" but doesn't necessarily produce results (ie. the difference between Patrick Kane and Robbie Schremp).

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
Have we soured again on JHS? I thought he played well this year when he was called up. He played exactly the way the coach told him too. No flashy pants "my own way".
i really liked the way JHS played during last call up, but reports of him going back to BP and dogging it, have discouraged me.

i thought for sure that he turned the corner, but now i wouldn't be surprised if he was traded.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
I think at some point you have to replace the word "dynamic" with "flashy". Dynamic usually involves high end skill that results in big offensive production. Flashy usually involves a bunch of fancy stickhandling that works on Youtube and "looks good" but doesn't necessarily produce results (ie. the difference between Patrick Kane and Robbie Schremp).

So well said. Was trying to put my finger on it and this is it...Ho-Sang is a "flashy" player, which is to say that he does things that can get you out of your seat. He's the type of player that one would pay money to see play.

...But that doesn't mean he's a good hockey player because he's not.

Ho-Sang has insane raw talent in terms of his hands and skating. Unfortunately Ho-Sang sorely lacks the desire/smarts/work-ethic to make that raw talent into a complete player. That is why if you really watch him you can see how many lazy/boneheaded plays he makes.

Again all of us are rooting for Ho-Sang to become the top-6 forward and dynamic player he has the potential to be, but the reason he's not succeeding is 100% on him.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina

You honestly think they should get a 1st and legit prospect?

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Why not? Most Ho-Sang defenders still do.

They can try, but that argument is slowly wasting away. Ho-Sang defenders have one thing right, he's talented. Everything else they have wrong, including him being a positive on the ice and in the locker room. Lee said it's a great bunch, and my father said a long time ago that team chemistry is the biggest piece of a championship puzzle in a league with decent parity. If JHS isn't fitting in, he should be where he is.

Reactions: YearlyLottery

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
Islanders would be lucky if they get a third round pick for Ho sang. Most teams probably would not even take a chance on him. He will probably end up in Europe next season.

BTrotts19

May 17, 2013
LI, NY
i really liked the way JHS played during last call up, but reports of him going back to BP and dogging it, have discouraged me.

i thought for sure that he turned the corner, but now i wouldn't be surprised if he was traded.

Yellow Snow would be trading him for peanuts at this point. I'm sure Lou is trying to get into his head if he really wants out, show the scouts something where the org can get something decent and he'll move him. Problem is JHS is probably too immature to listen and is just gonna sulk his NHL dream away

Bood12

Oct 12, 2016
You honestly think they should get a 1st and legit prospect?
when did I say that? he is going to fetch maybe a 2nd or a 3rd round pick at best if he is put on the market, is it worth it to get rid of a 23 year old who is arguably our 2nd most offensively gifted player because he made a few bad plays during the end of a recent 10 game call up?

Bood12

Oct 12, 2016
Islanders would be lucky if they get a third round pick for Ho sang. Most teams probably would not even take a chance on him. He will probably end up in Europe next season.
some bottom feeding team who is looking for a spark would be wise to put him in their lineup, if I was Jersey, Kings, Philly and a bunch of other teams I would be all over him if he is available

Bood12

Oct 12, 2016
They can try, but that argument is slowly wasting away. Ho-Sang defenders have one thing right, he's talented. Everything else they have wrong, including him being a positive on the ice and in the locker room. Lee said it's a great bunch, and my father said a long time ago that team chemistry is the biggest piece of a championship puzzle in a league with decent parity. If JHS isn't fitting in, he should be where he is.
how do you know he is not a positive in the dressing room and the ice? the team plays good based on his tenure when he was in the lineup

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
how do you know he is not a positive in the dressing room and the ice? the team plays good based on his tenure when he was in the lineup

Comes to a point where you need to see the writing on the wall:

Is JHS skilled? Yes
Does JHS present an offensive threat? Yes
Is JHS in the NHL? Nope

Instead of shooting everyone else down, pray do tell us why he can't stick in the NHL four years after being drafted. Answers that are unacceptable : Trotz and LL don't know what they are doing; he's blocked by better talent. Begin:

NC 1972

Dec 8, 2017
So its like the Stone's song (Far away Eye's) except replace - The girl w/Josh Ho Sang surly others see it no? There is something about this guy can't put my finger on it.
Saw him first at a Blue/White scrimmage he electrified the crowd! I was rooting for him but as time moved on it became clear something was a miss.
If he cant be packaged at the trade deadline I don't see the NYI offering him a contract.

Le Grec

Jun 28, 2011
Comes to a point where you need to see the writing on the wall:

Is JHS skilled? Yes
Does JHS present an offensive threat? Yes
Is JHS in the NHL? Nope

Instead of shooting everyone else down, pray do tell us why he can't stick in the NHL four years after being drafted. Answers that are unacceptable : Trotz and LL don't know what they are doing; he's blocked by better talent. Begin:
Honestly, I think he's not with the big club because a) they are doing well, and b) he didn't overly impress while up.
The only spot for him is Eberle's. If he had faltered after coming back from IR, I think Lou would consider calling him back up. But since he's flourished, JHS stays down.

Having said that, JHS is not the player he thinks he is, and probably never will be, but I do think he is an NHL player. It will interesting to see if he gets re-signed, or traded.
It would be even more interesting to see what team would trade for him...

Reactions: LeapOnOver

crasherino

May 9, 2013
Honestly, I think he's not with the big club because a) they are doing well, and b) he didn't overly impress while up.
The only spot for him is Eberle's. If he had faltered after coming back from IR, I think Lou would consider calling him back up. But since he's flourished, JHS stays down.

Having said that, JHS is not the player he thinks he is, and probably never will be, but I do think he is an NHL player. It will interesting to see if he gets re-signed, or traded.
It would be even more interesting to see what team would trade for him...
I think it’s the opposite. It’s wasnt if Eberle faltered JHS would have stayed up. He’s an established vet - we know what we’re getting from him. The variable was JHS himself. If HE flourished the team would have made a different move. We were all somewhat surprised that it was JHS going down not MDC. But if JHS made it impossible for the team to send him down, MDC or Sbisa would have been sent to BP.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
I think it’s the opposite. It’s wasnt if Eberle faltered JHS would have stayed up. He’s an established vet - we know what we’re getting from him. The variable was JHS himself. If HE flourished the team would have made a different move. We were all somewhat surprised that it was JHS going down not MDC. But if JHS made it impossible for the team to send him down, MDC or Sbisa would have been sent to BP.

You mean surprised as in being surprised JHS didn't cement a spot with his play right? Because I wasn't surprised that much when MDC stayed. You could see he was trending up where JHS just stagnated. I believe Butchie commented on that as well. I was surprised JHS didn't do a better job earning a permanent spot when he got the chance, but wasn't surprised MDC was picked over him.

bigtim1988

YES! YES! YES! YES!
Jun 7, 2009
long island

exactly

butch said it right during one of the games a few weeks ago; he said ho-sang "sweeps" the puck too much. I never heard that expression used for stick handling, so it made me laugh, but he's right!

that kind of stuff makes it "look" good, but it's not as useful in a game when NHL dmen can just poke it away, or w/e.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad