Player Discussion: Josh Ho-Sang Pt II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
How is anyone going to find out if the player isn't giving the opportunity to play?
Sometimes it's not the player but it's the coaches. A lot of players are late bloomers and some are stuck on the third and fourth line. Ho Sang has talent but isn't a scorer. Bailey also didn't come into the league as a goal scorer and everyone considered him to be underwhelming; close to bust status considering where he was drafted. Then you have players like "Wild Bill" and Josh Anderson. Playing with a bad team in Bridgeport doesn't help develop HoSang at the NHL level at this point. I could name plenty of bad defensive players in the NHL.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
Do you think 57 games in the AHL is enough to decide that Ho-Sang is washed up? I’m not sure it is. Especially when half the people on this board think Brent Thompson couldn’t develop a virus let alone talent.

You wanna hear something really funny? Josh Ho-Sang’s NHL numbers are better than his AHL numbers.
Eh, not really.

NHL: 43 GP, 6 g (11g/82GP), 22 pts (42 pts/82GP)
AHL: 107 GP, 18 g (14g/82GP), 71 pts, (54 pts/82GP)

I don't think he's washed up, but let's not make up fake facts about him either. The truth is that he has been better at the AHL level, albeit modestly.

How is anyone going to find out if the player isn't giving the opportunity to play?
Sometimes it's not the player but it's the coaches. A lot of players are late bloomers and some are stuck on the third and fourth line. Ho Sang has talent but isn't a scorer. Bailey also didn't come into the league as a goal scorer and everyone considered him to be underwhelming; close to bust status considering where he was drafted. Then you have players like "Wild Bill" and Josh Anderson. Playing with a bad team in Bridgeport doesn't help develop HoSang at the NHL level at this point. I could name plenty of bad defensive players in the NHL.
Ho-Sang's played most of the season with MDC. The only game he didn't play on a line with MDC, was the most recent game, and that was because MDC had earned his way onto the top line by playing well. It shouldn't be too much to ask that JHS do the same. Especially since Josh is the type of player that is supposed to drive a line.

Last edited:

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Eh, not really.

NHL: 43 GP, 6 g (11g/82GP), 22 pts (42 pts/82GP)
AHL: 107 GP, 18 g (14g/82GP), 71 pts, (54 pts/82GP)

I don't think he's washed up, but let's not make up fake facts about him either. The truth is that he has been better at the AHL level, albeit modestly.
My mistake. I omitted his first 50 games in the AHL from 2016. I only had him as 57 games played there.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
My mistake. I omitted his first 50 games in the AHL from 2016. I only had him as 57 games played there.
Even ignoring the first 50 games from 2016, he has 8g and 35pts in 57 GP (12g/82 and 50pts/82). Heck, even if you only look at this season, he's still on a 47pts/82 pace.

There is no season he hasn't produced at a higher pace in the AHL than he did in the NHL.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Exactly. And it's because Ho-sang is a distributor of the puck, not a shooter. If he's distributing the puck to bums in the AHL who can't do anything with it, is it any wonder his numbers there aren't good?

Even in his first call-up stint with the isles, his AHL numbers weren't great beforehand. Yet his talent was so evident so quickly that a vast majority of isles fans fell in love with him and was around a ppg.

Does he need to work on his defensive game and maturity levels? Of course. But I don't think his actual game is going to improve on a garbage AHL team that has consistently failed to develop talent. He needs real NHL minutes with real linemates, even if it's guys like brock, Ho-sang can take advantage of Nelson's one real talent. And if he can't given that opportunity, then you move on from him.
Players that sulk when being demoted typically regress in the AHL. A sure fire way to NOT earn a promotion back to the big club. The NHL is not a developmental league. And for better or worse, Lou and Trotz are NOT ones to simply hand flawed, underachievers an opportunity.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Even ignoring the first 50 games from 2016, he has 8g and 35pts in 57 GP (12g/82 and 50pts/82). Heck, even if you only look at this season, he's still on a 47pts/82 pace.

There is no season he hasn't produced at a higher pace in the AHL than he did in the NHL.
He's also on pace for zero goals.

bigtim1988

YES! YES! YES! YES!
Jun 7, 2009
long island
I think ho-sang has plenty of talent, but I think he’s having a hard time adjusting to the structure that the NHL demands—both on and off to he ice

If coaches told him “ok ho, just go out there, and do whatever you want” he could probably put up a decent amount of points, but it would be an overall determent to the team.

A proper NHL coach—even one who isn’t that great—expects proper structure and positioning, and I think ho sang struggles with that. I’m not sure if he has the attention span for the small nuances these coaches are looking for, and gets frustrated and bored with playing “the right way”

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
Honestly isles and Lou want Ho-Sang to be successful because they need a player that he could be on this roster. It’s up to Josh to become that player and it starts in Ahl. He needs to have more than 4 assists with no goals and a minus 9 in 7 games. I’ve seen 4 if those 7 games and he was very good in one, had good power play setups in another and you wouldn’t have known he played in the other two.

Metnut

Jan 19, 2013
There's a NYPost article that's going to start making the rounds where Ho-Sang has a few quotes that might stir up some trouble.

Personally, I don't think what the kid is saying is really a big deal but I have a feeling it'll be overblown and used to reinforce the beliefs of people to slam this kid. IMO, we can't afford to give up on a talent like this.

I really think he could benefit from being part of Trotz' system.

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
There's a NYPost article that's going to start making the rounds where Ho-Sang has a few quotes that might stir up some trouble.

Personally, I don't think what the kid is saying is really a big deal but I have a feeling it'll be overblown and used to reinforce the beliefs of people to slam this kid. IMO, we can't afford to give up on a talent like this.

Ye i read it. I will be shocked if Ho Sang is on the islanders next season. I agree with him that the team pretty much had there team before camp opened. Ho sang though should keep his mouth shut though instead of complaining to the media about lack of minutes in Bridgeport.

duster19

Feb 13, 2013

That’s a pretty crappy written article. The author is definately trying to paint him in a bad light and looking for hits. What he said wasn’t great, wasn’t horrible.

Another nail for JHS. Wish he had some kind of value. Another 1st from Garth down the drain. Amazing how far he has fallen. He looked like an NHL star when he first broke into the league.

duster19

Feb 13, 2013
Ye i read it. I will be shocked if Ho Sang is on the islanders next season. I agree with him that the team pretty much had there team before camp opened. Ho sang though should keep his mouth shut though instead of complaining to the media about lack of minutes in Bridgeport.

Maybe. Or maybe he is done with it. He has Europe all over him.

DonLou13

Jun 18, 2018
It doesnt matter if the journalist is trying to paint him in a bad light.

It doesnt matter if he is not getting what he wants from management.

What he has to do is shut up and say absolutely NOTHING until he proves otherwise. He has not proven anything in this league.

Just because he is not getting the playing time he thinks he deserves doesnt give him an excuse to not have a goal and be minus 9.

Keep your mouth SHUT and play your game.

duster19

Feb 13, 2013
It doesnt matter if the journalist is trying to paint him in a bad light.

It doesnt matter if he is not getting what he wants from management.

What he has to do is shut up and say absolutely NOTHING until he proves otherwise. He has not proven anything in this league.

Just because he is not getting the playing time he thinks he deserves doesnt give him an excuse to not have a goal and be minus 9.

Keep your mouth SHUT and play your game.

Great idea. But that isn’t working with him. They need to adapt or we have another bust. Play hockey and shut up does not resonate with this kid.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Aw Josh, c'mon already. If a New York reporter comes to Bridgeport don't talk to him. It's no good for you.

Reactions: bigtim1988

Skip To My Lou

Abused Fan
May 4, 2010
Garden City, NY
He’s frustrated, and he wants to be playing in the NHL. The team just lost their best player, so you’d think it’d be prime time for him to step up. So I get where he’s coming from.

I think Thompson needs to go. He has been a pretty crappy developer, and he doesn’t do much to help Ho-Sang or Bellows. I think JHS would do so much better playing in Trotz’s system. He would incorporate speed to a team that doesn’t have a whole lot of speed right now.

Unfortunately for him, there’s no room. And I do agree with him, I think Lou & Co. made up their minds before the season started in regards to the younger players. I don’t think there was any intention to start Ho-Sang and Bellows with the big club.

scott99

May 13, 2005
He is what he is, a slightly above average AHL player. Nothing special. He always blames everyone but himself. But maybe he just isn't a good NHL player.

Reactions: Helistin

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
JHS needs to go
Thompson needs to go

JHS has had plenty of time to develop in the minors. When he has the puck he's dynamite. But when he's without the puck he's a train wreck and you are without the most 95% more than the time that you have it. If he doesn't know what to do at this point his ass needs to be out the door.

Package him in a deal somewhere.

Reactions: periferal

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
If Lou already had his mind set up about the roster then no reason for him to take it personal.

I’ve been one of his biggest supporters and defenders to date, with that being said he’s got to focus on producing. Let his production Speak for him. Even Strome was over a PPG in the AHL, the poor me schtik gets old when your not producing in the minor league.

Sure, there’s not a ton of talent down there but he’s gotta take charge and find a way to start making an impact on the score sheet..

Agree on Thompson however, I see him as part of the old regime. Get some fresh blood in there, it’s time

Reactions: bigtim1988
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad