Player Discussion: Josh Ho-Sang Pt II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
Lou kept Tanner "No Production" Fritz over JHS, not to say Bellows and Kovar. This sounds like something that Crapuao, Dead Weight and Snowballs would do. I don't get it. There is absolutely nothing that I have seen last season of Tanner Fritz that impresses me: a undersized forward (5'11" 180 lbs) with low to no production (34 games 3 goals 7 point and -3). Does anyone really miss Allen Quine and Colon McDonald?
This.
I happen to like Fritz but he is what he is.
And we were warned that LL loves his veteran players. Then he goes ahead and brings in Sbisa who nobody wanted and Gionta. I get you want a good lockeroom but this is just unacceptable for me as a fan.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
I get this line of thinking but like many other things with Lou, it's incredibly outdated. Phil Kessel plays on Pittsburgh's third line. As we all know, it sure ain't for his defensive play. He carries his own line as a winger and Ho-Sang could do the same, not as a goal scorer like Kessel, but as a dynamic skater who loves the puck on his stick and creating offense.

You don't win in today's NHL by inserting a bunch of plugs into the lineup to "check" endlessly, you win by possessing the puck and generating quality offense. Ho-Sang adds that even if it's on the third line as the primary puck carrier with some random center. Put a shooter like Brock at 3C and watch him actually look decent when Ho-Sang takes over many of the offensive responsibilities that a center should normally have.
I just hope fellow Islander fans pay close attention to the games and notice the lack of skill and how frustratingly boring the seasons going to be because of losing. This is virtually the same Islander team as last year minus JT.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
I just hope fellow Islander fans pay close attention to the games and notice the lack of skill and how frustratingly boring the seasons going to be because of losing. This is virtually the same Islander team as last year minus JT.
Scoring goals was not the issue last season.

Reactions: Quicklime

Quicklime

Sep 25, 2006
Denver, CO
I have faith in the offense - they’ll score goals.

I’ll feel better when they can master the tempo of a game enough to threaten WHEN THEY NEED TO.

I worry less about the roster that scores “stat-padding” goals....more about the one that can rise from being 2 goals back with 6 minutes to go.

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
I get this line of thinking but like many other things with Lou, it's incredibly outdated. Phil Kessel plays on Pittsburgh's third line. As we all know, it sure ain't for his defensive play. He carries his own line as a winger and Ho-Sang could do the same, not as a goal scorer like Kessel, but as a dynamic skater who loves the puck on his stick and creating offense.

You don't win in today's NHL by inserting a bunch of plugs into the lineup to "check" endlessly, you win by possessing the puck and generating quality offense. Ho-Sang adds that even if it's on the third line as the primary puck carrier with some random center. Put a shooter like Brock at 3C and watch him actually look decent when Ho-Sang takes over many of the offensive responsibilities that a center should normally have.

I don't think it's that. Just think they need to trust him on the ice and they don't. In my humble opinion, it's code that he needs to elevate his game and maturity. He needs to be more consistent, predictable and intelligent with his decision making. They're playing plugs because they need to figure out not only what he is, but what he can be. You find that out through adversity, not affirmation.

Reactions: Seph

crasherino

May 9, 2013
This.
I happen to like Fritz but he is what he is.
And we were warned that LL loves his veteran players. Then he goes ahead and brings in Sbisa who nobody wanted and Gionta. I get you want a good lockeroom but this is just unacceptable for me as a fan.

If those guys were playing game in/game out, you'd have a valid argument. But they're on the roster mostly to sit. Fritz is already back in BP. Wouldn't make much sense to have Bellows here for a game, sit on the bench for 3 and then get shipped back.

Ideally, when Bellows is up here, he's here to play and stay. Not ride the bench as the 14th forward.

Islanders4Cups

May 4, 2002
Boston, MA USA

I just find it interesting that two completely different front offices see the same thing in JHS. He needs to improve his overall play. It doesn’t mean JHS willl not get his chance this season, but it will be replacing an injured or poorly playing top 6 winger and not a bottom 6 winger. The bottom 6 is arguably a huge improvement and bright spot this season.

The Top 6 need to get going.

Islanders4Cups

May 4, 2002
Boston, MA USA
According to the numbers in the prospect thread, JHS has no goals and 4 assists in 7 games and is a minus 9.

How about we see him actually help his team at the AHL level before we talk about how much we need him in the NHL?

Agreed, instead of just handing him a spot, how about he start to earn it.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
According to the numbers in the prospect thread, JHS has no goals and 4 assists in 7 games and is a minus 9.

How about we see him actually help his team at the AHL level before we talk about how much we need him in the NHL?

Until he drastically alters the way he plays, I still maintain there's something off about Ho-Sang's game for him to ever be a consistent NHL scorer, where the talent never actually results in production.

aronjudge11

Jul 2, 2017
I think he's old enough to give up on. What's he going to do learn how to play defense in two years then learn how to shoot the puck two more years later. Be NHL ready by 30?

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I think he's old enough to give up on. What's he going to do learn how to play defense in two years then learn how to shoot the puck two more years later. Be NHL ready by 30?
You’re giving up on a 22 year old? :shakehead

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA

Those AHL numbers don't tell the whole story.

Reactions: islesfan3913

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Thompson is a garbage coach and bport has no center
And yet Michael Dal Colle is off to his best start ever.

I love JHS. Was one of his biggest defenders last year. I wish he had a better camp. But he didn’t earn his way onto the roster this year when he knew he needed to come in this year and duplicate the camp he had last year.

Sometime it’s on the player.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
Bridgeport is always one of the worst AHL Teams in the league and they never have any talent in net.

aronjudge11

Jul 2, 2017
You’re giving up on a 22 year old? :shakehead
22 can't put up decent #'s in the AHL, doesn't play good defense or shoot the puck enough, yeah I'd say his time is about up. The giants just have up on Eli Apple today. Once JHS contract is up you can't sign him to another one with the hopes that he's NHL ready by 25. Maybe a defenseman who is six foot three...but not a guy with no size or ability to shoot the puck.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
22 can't put up decent #'s in the AHL, doesn't play good defense or shoot the puck enough, yeah I'd say his time is about up. The giants just have up on Eli Apple today. Once JHS contract is up you can't sign him to another one with the hopes that he's NHL ready by 25. Maybe a defenseman who is six foot three...but not a guy with no size or ability to shoot the puck.
Do you think 57 games in the AHL is enough to decide that Ho-Sang is washed up? I’m not sure it is. Especially when half the people on this board think Brent Thompson couldn’t develop a virus let alone talent.

You wanna hear something really funny? Josh Ho-Sang’s NHL numbers are better than his AHL numbers.

Pumpkin Pal

Oct 17, 2014
You wanna hear something really funny? Josh Ho-Sang’s NHL numbers are better than his AHL numbers.

Exactly. And it's because Ho-sang is a distributor of the puck, not a shooter. If he's distributing the puck to bums in the AHL who can't do anything with it, is it any wonder his numbers there aren't good?

Even in his first call-up stint with the isles, his AHL numbers weren't great beforehand. Yet his talent was so evident so quickly that a vast majority of isles fans fell in love with him and was around a ppg.

Does he need to work on his defensive game and maturity levels? Of course. But I don't think his actual game is going to improve on a garbage AHL team that has consistently failed to develop talent. He needs real NHL minutes with real linemates, even if it's guys like brock, Ho-sang can take advantage of Nelson's one real talent. And if he can't given that opportunity, then you move on from him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad