Player Discussion: Josh Ho-Sang Pt II

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
Eberle for a Coyle? :sarcasm:

Eberle is better then Coyle - I'd rather re-sign him .... there are no real roster spots for JHS now with a healthy squad - Bailey, Komarov and Clutterbuck all signed long term. That makes me think Eberle is a goner with Wahlstrom and Ho-Sang in the pipeline.

I'd eventually like to see Barzal & Wahlstrom and Ho-Sang & Bellows linemates

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
Dal Colle got to play, what is your issue?
He got to play garbage minutes on the 4th line and was scratched as well. No pp time either for a guy who was red hot when he came up. If there gonna do that with Josh better off not bringing him up at all. Play Johnston then or bring up fritz for bottom 6 depth

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
He got to play garbage minutes on the 4th line and was scratched as well. No pp time either for a guy who was red hot when he came up. If there gonna do that with Josh better off not bringing him up at all. Play Johnston then or bring up fritz for bottom 6 depth
It's obvious MDC isn't that good. JHS has a chance to be a top six player and will play and unlike Dal Colle is capable of being a third or fourth liner. Wouldn't have mind using MDC on PP and in the shootouts exclusively though.

Reactions: YearlyLottery

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
It's obvious MDC isn't that good. JHS has a chance to be a top six player and will play and unlike Dal Colle is capable of being a third or fourth liner. Wouldn't have mind using MDC on PP and in the shootouts exclusively though.
Well Lou did say they see Ho sang as a top 6 not bottom 6. Will see if they play him and give him pp time as well.

Islanders4Cups

May 4, 2002
Boston, MA USA
Bailey, Eberle, Komarov at top 9 RW and the team is doing well.

JHS is not needed right now. Remember what Lou always says about having time and using it. Let JHS continue having success in the AHL. If he does, he'll get his chance sooner rather than later.

I agree. JHS is not a good fit on the bottom six at all. Rest a top six winger for a game, see how he does and go from there. JHS needs solid ice time and should continue to work on his game in Bridgeport.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Injuries in the bottom six is what prompted his call up. You want a regular top six to sit for a guy who has a good month in the AHL for the first time in his career?

He was given an opportunity and was fine. No flash to his game and he still isn't ready to be a top six in the NHL.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Glad for JHS bc I think he’s the kind that needs to be rewarded and semi-coddled to counteract the victim worldview he takes. The callup alone should help w that, unless they sit him in the pressbox or play him 8 mins a game.

Hope one of our true top 6’ers isn’t hurt, Lee got rocked; they need him for a big showdown against Pitt. Need our horses.

Anyway, excited to see the kid play (assuming he does), he’s electrifying and hopefully less aggravating this time around.

Put him w Barzal so they can figure skate and play catch together.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Glad for JHS bc I think he’s the kind that needs to be rewarded and semi-coddled to counteract the victim worldview he takes. The callup alone should help w that, unless they sit him in the pressbox or play him 8 mins a game.

I really don't have insight into JHS's worldview (and I doubt you do either), but what JHS needs, and what players deserve generally, is professionalism. That means no coaches that call you out the the media years after they traded you in junior hockey (hello Bob Boughner), and also no coaches that "take you under their wing" while imposing structure-less play and then single you out for blame (hello Dougie Weight).

Barry Trotz is a professional, and should treat Josh Ho-Sang as a young player who is learning the game. That means short shifts, playing in relatively sheltered situations, and having immediate and measured accountability for what he does wrong. None of the bullcrap making things personal stuff.

Reactions: YearlyLottery

Islanders4Cups

May 4, 2002
Boston, MA USA
Quote from Newsday:
Isles hope Coliseum environment helps vs. Pens

“I haven’t seen him a whole lot other than a couple of games on the web site,” Islanders coach Barry Trotz said of the 22-year-old Ho-Sang, who has two goals and 20 assists in 26 games for the Sound Tigers this season and six goals and 16 assists in 43 games for the Islanders over the past two seasons.
“He’s trying to do all the right things, he’s working hard,” Trotz added. “I’d like to see him shoot the puck more. He’s got two goals in the AHL, that’s not enough. He’s worked on the areas he needs to work on but he’s probably got to supply more offensively. Two goals at that level, you should be a little bit better there.”

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018
Quote from Newsday:
Isles hope Coliseum environment helps vs. Pens

“I haven’t seen him a whole lot other than a couple of games on the web site,” Islanders coach Barry Trotz said of the 22-year-old Ho-Sang, who has two goals and 20 assists in 26 games for the Sound Tigers this season and six goals and 16 assists in 43 games for the Islanders over the past two seasons.
“He’s trying to do all the right things, he’s working hard,” Trotz added. “I’d like to see him shoot the puck more. He’s got two goals in the AHL, that’s not enough. He’s worked on the areas he needs to work on but he’s probably got to supply more offensively. Two goals at that level, you should be a little bit better there.”
Trotz pulls no punches

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Really shocking/disappointing how many Isles fans think Ho-Sang is any sort of an answer to this teams' issues right now. I think the problem is that too many are confusing a player with exciting skills to one that should have a regular spot in the NHL. Just because your team is losing doesn't mean that He's still NOT a professional athlete. He's simply a guy with tons of raw talent who doesn't understand/isn't willing to do the things necessary to maximize his talents and be a good teammate.

If we truly want to change the CULTURE around here then players should only get an opportunity when they themselves have done the work necessary to EARN that opportunity. Ho-Sang hasn't and is only up now because less talented, but more professional, athletes ahead of him got injured.

For those of you that know tennis, Ho-Sang is the Nick Kyrgios of the NHL.

Can Ho-sang still turn it around? 100%. He's just not given any indication since we drafted him that he will. So as of right now, we should count on him NOT becoming a professional regular NHLer the way we should count on Anders Lee to score at least 25-30 goals a year now. Why because Lee has PROVEN it.

Up until now all Ho-Sang has proved is that mind is not where it should be and thus he should not be rewarded with a ticket to the big club. That is how you hold players accountable and truly change the culture of a franchise from "we tried hahd" to Cup contender mentality.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
I really don't have insight into JHS's worldview (and I doubt you do either), but what JHS needs, and what players deserve generally, is professionalism. That means no coaches that call you out the the media years after they traded you in junior hockey (hello Bob Boughner), and also no coaches that "take you under their wing" while imposing structure-less play and then single you out for blame (hello Dougie Weight).

Barry Trotz is a professional, and should treat Josh Ho-Sang as a young player who is learning the game. That means short shifts, playing in relatively sheltered situations, and having immediate and measured accountability for what he does wrong. None of the bullcrap making things personal stuff.

JHS comments to the NY post and over his years coming up in Jr. hockey and at Bridge suggested a victimized mentality. I think the kid deserves a reward and can show him that manage is not intentionally burying him in the minors, as he’s alluded to.

I have full faith that Trotz will handle him well. They have had several conversations since the summer. I have no doubt he’ll hold JHS accountable, yet also give him some confidence.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Trotz pulls no punches

Yeah, I don't mind this criticism at all. JHS is averaging approx 1 shot per game as a professional. That's just not enough. Barzal, a pure playmaker, averages twice that and *he* doesn't shoot enough. Even early Josh Bailey who avoided shooting like I avoid cauliflower shot more than that.

Islanders4Cups

May 4, 2002
Boston, MA USA
I think JHS is very close to joining the big club but we are in a critical part of the season and there are no openings.

Every Metro game is a 4 point swing in a tight division and there are no guarantees that a wild card spot will be open for the taking.

The Isles need to start their best team against the Pens. You can argue that he could get a start vs Vegas if he works hard in practice and a top 6 forward needs a day off.

I would not be surprised that if any of the top 6 go down, Ho Sang will be in. Until then I would not be willing to break up the bottom 6 and the roles they play which is not JHS role.

duster19

Feb 13, 2013
Yeah, I don't mind this criticism at all. JHS is averaging approx 1 shot per game as a professional. That's just not enough. Barzal, a pure playmaker, averages twice that and *he* doesn't shoot enough. Even early Josh Bailey who avoided shooting like I avoid cauliflower shot more than that.

They are making this abundantly clear that this is a cup of coffee. You worked hard. Congrats. Here’s a couple big boy game cheque’s. Do more for BPT if you want this to be more permanent.

LamorielloAndSon

May 28, 2018
Really shocking/disappointing how many Isles fans think Ho-Sang is any sort of an answer to this teams' issues right now.

Yes, the power play, not wasting anymore time reading the rest of your post if you think it’s worthless to improve the power play which is the biggest reason for the isles struggling at all as of late

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
They are making this abundantly clear that this is a cup of coffee. You worked hard. Congrats. Here’s a couple big boy game cheque’s. Do more for BPT if you want this to be more permanent.
Yes this is probably best take as tigers don’t play until Friday so he gets to practice with big club and get some Nhler coin this week and goes back. Lou was complimentary of his work in ahl and Trotz was too but both mentioned the lack of goals.

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
Give him Beauvillier's spot for a few games
He is not better than Beauvillier and while he is more talented then the guys in bottom six he isn’t the type of player to be in that bottom six. I see the best case scenario that JHS could replace Eberle at some point down the line but that time isn’t right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad