News: Josh Ho-Sang has requested a trade

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Karill (sp) Kabanov. That said, I'm pretty sure his attitude issues were significantly overblown and he was just a bit overrated as a prospect in general. From what I can recall, he was actually a pretty great kid that got a bit of a bad rap. But I can't remember the specifics of why I think that.

I pointed this out in a different post but if you look at how weak the third round was in general in 2010, Kabanov wasn't a bad pick, other then Radko Gudas(who was the next pick) I can't find one person I see between Kabanov and the Islanders next pick that I say how can we miss out on this guy.

Sharksfan83

Jul 27, 2010
I maybe way off the mark but by what I watched yesterday, San Jose could do with anything that may resemble a top 6 forward. We have 4 left.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
Karill (sp) Kabanov. That said, I'm pretty sure his attitude issues were significantly overblown and he was just a bit overrated as a prospect in general. From what I can recall, he was actually a pretty great kid that got a bit of a bad rap. But I can't remember the specifics of why I think that.
That is him. I think it was both. I recall him coming from a loaded family and having entitlement issues. Barely hacking it in the Danish league now.

Reactions: CF Punk
Jan 9, 2007
Australia
Assuming NYI plans to send Dobson to minors once he is healthy, getting Honka is not a bad idea. Honka would give them a 7th defenseman and they could use some more offense from their D probably.

Ho-Sang in Dallas is an interesting idea. Their 3rd line wingers right now , Comeau and Cogliano, are aging and not productive. Perry is injury prone. I do like the idea of Ho-Sang playing on that 3rd line with Faksa as his center.
I really don't think Dallas will be interested if there are any kind of work ethic or character questions. I could be wrong, though.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
I notice people often confuse commitment to hockey with being a good or bad person. You can be a very nice person with a good attitude, but little dedication to hockey. Conversely you can be a terrible person, but really into hockey and a hard worker.

"Attitude issues" is a really dumb and meaningless trope that leads people to make assumptions about hockey players. You're not a bad person because you don't succeed at something. Most of us fail at things, particularly when we're young, and this doesn't make us bad people.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
I pointed this out in a different post but if you look at how weak the third round was in general in 2010, Kabanov wasn't a bad pick, other then Radko Gudas(who was the next pick) I can't find one person I see between Kabanov and the Islanders next pick that I say how can we miss out on this guy.
As a 3rd rounder it was a worthwhile gamble. No denying that.

Reactions: CF Punk
Jan 9, 2007
Australia
I notice people often confuse commitment to hockey with being a good or bad person. You can be a very nice person with a good attitude, but little dedication to hockey. Conversely you can be a terrible person, but really into hockey and a hard worker.

"Attitude issues" is a really dumb and meaningless trope that leads people to make assumptions about hockey players. You're not a bad person because you don't succeed at something. Most of us fail at things, particularly when we're young, and this doesn't make us bad people.
I don't think most people are conflating the two. Most don't care about the person part and are mostly talking about the sports angle.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
I don't think most people are conflating the two. Most don't care about the person part and are mostly talking about the sports angle.

I don't see how else one can interpret "attitude issues" and other similar terms like "headcase." People could just as easily say "lack of commitment", "lack of interest", but often don't.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
I don't see how else one can interpret "attitude issues" and other similar terms like "headcase." People could just as easily say "lack of commitment", "lack of interest", but often don't.
I don't understand your issue I guess. A "person's" character touches all aspect of their life, including the workplace.

I sort of see what you are saying, but when the stakes are so high in terms of ROI for a player, I think that is where the "headcase" stuff comes from. It would be the same if a young hotshot investor had a multimillion dollar career laid out before them and they had problems taking instructions from their bosses or couldn't show up on time every day. People could easily call that person a headcase or as having attitude issues.

FTR I also prefer more specific descriptions rather than generic sports radio cliches.

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
Assuming NYI plans to send Dobson to minors once he is healthy, getting Honka is not a bad idea. Honka would give them a 7th defenseman and they could use some more offense from their D probably.

Ho-Sang in Dallas is an interesting idea. Their 3rd line wingers right now , Comeau and Cogliano, are aging and not productive. Perry is injury prone. I do like the idea of Ho-Sang playing on that 3rd line with Faksa as his center.

Islanders are not sending Dobson to the minors. They sent Hickey there to keep Dobson up because he must go to juniors if not NYI. They are surely not taking on another dman, simply because they don't need one.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
A comparable would probably be the Puempel for Sproul trade between the Rangers and Red Wings around this time 2 years ago.

Other than position, they were essentially the same in a lot of regards:

-Same age (less than two weeks apart) and taken in the same draft (Puempel 27OA and Sproul 55OA)
-Once somewhat highly regarded NHL prospects that were passed on their teams depth chart by better young players and likely didn't have a future other than as AHL depth
-Both recently cleared waivers
-Proven productive in the AHL, and not enough experience to effect veteran max
-Similar one-way contracts with one year until RFA or Group VI UFA (Sproul at $650k and Puempel at $725k)

Based on that, unless JHS's reputation lowers his value, the Isles are probably looking at swapping for another decent youngish AHL guy in his 1st or 2nd season out of his ELC and on a 2-way contract.

I'm assuming that JHS is hoping to find a spot on an NHL roster, but I don't think that's going to happen at this point. If a team was seriously interested in that, they would've grabbed him on waivers. His only hope at this point is to get a fresh start on another NHL teams farm club and get a call up later on, or make a strong enough case to get qualified by that team and get a shot to make the roster next year, or catch on with a 3rd team or make some money in Europe next summer as a UFA if they don't qualify him.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
Ho-Sang for Sonny Milano.

He could be the player that breaks Torts and sends him off to the loony bin.

Hustlr

Oct 1, 2019
Think we all saw this coming. Surprised to hear about Brown, thx for the info.

Mick Jagr

Nice guy, tries hard, loves the game.
Jul 11, 2009
Peterborough, ONT
twitter.com
He just passed through waivers where he coulda been had for free. I understand there's contract limits and what not, but if anybody wanted him they likely woulda found a way to to acquire him then. The only other thing I can think of is flipping him for somebody like Honka who ALSO wants out and has ALSO requested a trade. Both former first rounders, similar age, similar potential and both need a change of scenery.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad