News: Josh Ho-Sang has requested a trade

Number8

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I don’t know the kid’s circumstances, but he sounds like he needs his father (or a mentor is he doesn’t have a father) to sit him down and explain how the real world works.

People are remarkably forgiving if people show a touch of humility. He hasn’t killed anyone, after all. Two options:

1) Apologize to coaches, mgmt, and teammates. Say my ambition, mouth, and belief in myself sometimes gets the best of me. I want to help this team and will shut my mouth and work on parts of my game that need work. Then...... shut his mouth, keep his word, and work his ass off. Could end up with a nice NHL career and a good life.

2) Keep on current track and waste God given talent that millions of kids can only dream of having and spend the rest of your life wallowing in “I could have been a star — but they all screwed me”.

You run into one ass****, and it’s fair to say “my bad luck day”. Run into three ass***** and you have to wonder what it is you are doing to get negative reactions all the time.

Hope the kid wakes up and grows up and turns it around. Could be a good story. If not? Really...... who cares. Life is hard enough without worrying about people who can’t avoid ego driven self destruction.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
There’s always someone willing to give talent a chance. Problem is, he won’t be guaranteed an NHL job to get that next chance. Something he’s going to have to accept.

Best case, a team like Arizona who still can’t score might give him a chance. Problem is with a high chance he still needs to play in the AHL, can’t see anything of value going back to Isles as any team getting him has to prepare to send him down and put him through waivers again.

Rockmorton

Oct 26, 2011
I wonder if there’s something to be done between the Isles and the Flames? Something around Frolik & Ho Sang?

Flames need cap space & RHS RWers. Isles get rid of a distraction and pick up a legit middle six winger.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Heard burkie talk about JHS, said he was a nice enough kid but that he was on his do not draft list ( a short list). That there were guys you don't pick early but would consider later ( he said he didn't understand this, a third round headache is still a headache) but ho sang was a do not draft, ever.
Talked about fit and things but it all seemed to be about attitude and psychological aptitude.

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
AKeep on current track and waste God given talent that millions of kids can only dream of having and spend the rest of your life wallowing in “I could have been a star — but they all screwed me”.

This is the attitude I loathe in fans. So Ho-Sang has great talent. So, therefore, he owes something to the world?

You know what? He's quick, and he can pass and dangle. But it seems to me that's where the talent ends. He started his professional career fighting for pucks in corners, and got his *** kicked. Now he shies away from contact. With his other limitations (shooting, lack of hockey instincts), he can't do that and be a good player.

He doesn't need to apologize to NYI. I think LL and Ho-Sang both know JHS is not in NYI's plan. It is no skin off their back for him to look for a trade. If it doesn't happen, JHS finishes the year out in BPT or moves to Europe.

But the idea that anyone is harmed here is crazy. Who is harmed? Who deserves apologies? Nobody. IMO from a NYI perspective JHS is Robert Nilsson redux (no, not Robbie Schremp). I honestly think he'll do really well in Europe.

Number8

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
This is the attitude I loathe in fans. So Ho-Sang has great talent. So, therefore, he owes something to the world?

You know what? He's quick, and he can pass and dangle. But it seems to me that's where the talent ends. He started his professional career fighting for pucks in corners, and got his *** kicked. Now he shies away from contact. With his other limitations (shooting, lack of hockey instincts), he can't do that and be a good player.

He doesn't need to apologize to NYI. I think LL and Ho-Sang both know JHS is not in NYI's plan. It is no skin off their back for him to look for a trade. If it doesn't happen, JHS finishes the year out in BPT or moves to Europe.

But the idea that anyone is harmed here is crazy. Who is harmed? Who deserves apologies? Nobody. IMO from a NYI perspective JHS is Robert Nilsson redux (no, not Robbie Schremp). I honestly think he'll do really well in Europe.
You need to go back and carefully read what I wrote as a whole and not cherry pick a sentence and jump on it.

1) Of course he doesn't owe anything to the world, the Islanders, the fans, or anyone.
2) He's a big boy -- he can do what he wants. As long as he is willing to live with the consequences.
3) Right now, he's paying the consequences. SOMETHING is holding him back big time and all indications are that it's his ego and attitude.
4) IF (emphasis on IF -- it's his choice) he wants to have a good career he needs to change bigtime. Part of that would be to show some humility. Mouthing off in the NYPost about how he is getting a raw deal while others are getting a pass is a crap poor way of ingratiating yourself to management and your teammates. Victim personalities usually fail in what they do --regardless of talent.
5) So whether he believes it or not, he'd be wise to grow up, shut up, and put his head down and work. Common sense would include apologizing for being an ass (whether he believes it or not) to try and demonstrate that he gets it that big part of the problem is him and his attitude.

So you can "loathe" my attitude all you want. I truly don't care. If Ho-Sang wants to waste his talent in the AHL or Europe? Great, fill your boots. If Ho-Sang wants to play in the NHL? Lose the ego, act like you remotely want to be a good teammate, and take some steps to try and show everyone your are not the ass that you probably are.

If you think I'm suggesting that H0-Sang has behaved in a way that demands an apology, you are wrong. I don't care. I'm saying if he wants an NHL career he'd be wise to demonstrate in every way possible that he knows he has to change.

Reactions: MXD and Ollie Weeks

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Y
3) Right now, he's paying the consequences. SOMETHING is holding him back big time and all indications are that it's his ego and attitude.

Nope, you're just wrong. He's actually changed his game quite a lot since he first came to NYI. He has judgment/hockey sense issues, and serious physical limitations. He doesn't have the ability to spin away from checks from bigger players (almost everyone). This might not be a terrible problem if he was able to make very quick decisions with the puck, but he doesn't. He nearly always handles the puck before making a play, putting himself in risk. If he had Scott Gomez's strength and toughness, he'd be an NHL forward. He doesn't. Not a bit of it.

He could be a perfect silent little choir boy, and he still wouldn't be a top-6 forward in the NHL. People like you (there are a lot) are really invested in using character flaws to explain everything.

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
Heard burkie talk about JHS, said he was a nice enough kid but that he was on his do not draft list ( a short list). That there were guys you don't pick early but would consider later ( he said he didn't understand this, a third round headache is still a headache) but ho sang was a do not draft, ever.
Talked about fit and things but it all seemed to be about attitude and psychological aptitude.

I would not put too much weigth into that, Burkie always speaks about his DND years after the draft and it only contains the biggest busts.... I am a bit skeptical.

Reactions: haveandare

Number8

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Nope, you're just wrong. He's actually changed his game quite a lot since he first came to NYI. He has judgment/hockey sense issues, and serious physical limitations. He doesn't have the ability to spin away from checks from bigger players (almost everyone). This might not be a terrible problem if he was able to make very quick decisions with the puck, but he doesn't. He nearly always handles the puck before making a play, putting himself in risk. If he had Scott Gomez's strength and toughness, he'd be an NHL forward. He doesn't. Not a bit of it.

He could be a perfect silent little choir boy, and he still wouldn't be a top-6 forward in the NHL. People like you (there are a lot) are really invested in using character flaws to explain everything.

It's ironic, but you come across a bit like Ho-Sang. So convinced of your talents you overlook your obvious flaws and as a result fail to work on improving same. For example, you clearly have a reading comprehension problem.

I don't know if there is any merit to your "scouting abilities"-- I don't really care. That's because no one is suggesting the key to Ho-Sang's challenges alone is to be a choir boy. Problem fixed.

What a lot of people are suggesting is for him to lose the attitude of superiority AND work on the issues that the coaching staff have identified. Along the way, in order to repair the damage he has done to how he is perceived as a player you want on your team/as a teammate he might want to try and show he's not going to be an egotistical ass in the future.

Maybe he can improve his on ice product sufficiently to make a career in the NHL? Maybe not. Regardless if he has issues with his game, being a spoiled ass isn't helping (something you might want to consider as a poster maybe?)

Simple enough for you?

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
It's ironic, but you come across a bit like Ho-Sang. So convinced of your talents you overlook your obvious flaws and as a result fail to work on improving same. For example, you clearly have a reading comprehension problem.

Simple enough for you?

It's apt - not ironic - that you don't know the meaning of 'irony'. I blame you, Alanis!

Number8

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
It's apt - not ironic - that you don't know the meaning of 'irony'. I blame you, Alanis!
Fine. It's apt that you seem to have the same inflated ego challenges possessed by Ho Sang and, in part, I suspect that the reason your posts hold little value. Better?

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Fine. It's apt that you seem to have the same inflated ego challenges possessed by Ho Sang and, in part, I suspect that the reason your posts hold little value. Better?

you're the one that comes across as having an inflated ego here dude,maybe take your own advice and do a little self reflection?

Reactions: dano16

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
I would not put too much weigth into that, Burkie always speaks about his DND years after the draft and it only contains the biggest busts.... I am a bit skeptical.

he also mentioned it on HNIC, without saying JHS's name but it was later confirmed to be him.

I get the hate for Burke, but its not like he went on a tirade about this kid AND he wasn't alone in his assessment. He actually was somewhat complimentary of him as a person. Maybe the isles took a flyer on the kid thinking he would turn it around and then decided that it was time to cut bait.

But for a kid who came in with a lot of baggage, who got some kicks at the cat and ends up waived, demands a trade and then releases a statement that if another team gives him another chance that he would be WILLING to do anything, even start at the AHL level, he ain't doing himself any favors.

either he agent has no spine or should be fired. this kid is going to talk himself out of a NHL career. when you find yourself in a hole, stop digging.

Reactions: Number8

Number8

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
you're the one that comes across as having an inflated ego here dude
Sorry Ricky. However, any time someone uses the old "people like you" argument on me they are going to get a nasty response. Same as if someone doesn't read what I post, misrepresents same, and then says "Nope, you're wrong".

If you think Ho-Sang's attitude isn't at least in part responsible for his woes that's your right. I don't have an issue with it, and perhaps I am wrong about it.

We cool, dude?

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
in fairness, he also said he had Horvat pegged as a #3C and was wrong about that and that he is a good #2C.

And to point it out again, he did say teams have "do not draft" lists of guys at certain spots...but if they fall way down then will take a chance. He flat out said that if kids are on his DND list, they won't draft them at all. With Ho-Sang, he said he did not fit the "type" of team they were trying to build. And I think we all can admit that Ho-Sang doesn't fit the type of player we think of when we think of Burke type players.

But in the end, you can never know.

GeeoffBrown

Jul 6, 2007
I wonder if there’s something to be done between the Isles and the Flames? Something around Frolik & Ho Sang?

Flames need cap space & RHS RWers. Isles get rid of a distraction and pick up a legit middle six winger.
What do Flames need cap space for? They got the whole team signed.

Also, I don't see how trading an NHL player for an AHL player improves the depth

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
Or it was well known that many teams had Ho Sang on a DND list. Even with his talent in Junior team Canada didn’t even consider him for the WJC. Ho Sang being on a DND list isn’t news.

innitfam

Oct 18, 2017
Sign Puljujarvi to a deal, swap him and Ho-Sang? Add picks to either side to balance out the deal

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad