Rumor: Josh Gorges trade speculation (blocked trade to TOR)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
I don't think Franson is as bad as everyone is painting him. He wouldn't be on our top pairing and likely wouldn't be getting significant second pairing minutes either. He could give us a legitimate second unit PP too. He's also just about to turn 27, he could still improve when you consider he only made the NHL a few years ago. Obviously it would not be a great return but it would not be the end of the world like some proclaim.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
A lot of people thought that Gorges could possibly be captain, but in light of recent events I strongly doubt this was ever a real possibility.
Any player that appears to give 100% qualifies to the HF Board approval for Captaincy, and even more so if they are NA.
Higgins, Komisarek, Gallagher, Gionta, Gorges..

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
We ain't going to get a top prospect cause they don't have many and the 2 they have they ain't moving

I get the feeling the Habs are headed in a direction and they simply want to move Gorges, they just want the cap space

If it was all about cap space, why take parenteau for Briere instead of Briere for nothing, even if they had to eat 20-30% of his AAV?

For cap space, move Moen, Budaj, Bourque first...There are about 8-10 guys I'd move BEFORE JG if I wanted cap space...

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Gorges for Gardiner would be us robbing them blind.. and it would have us starting with Emelin still on RD and Beaulieu/Gardiner on LD..

Markov-Subban
Gardiner-Emelin
Beaulieu-Weaver/Robidas ??

pucci2001

Jun 3, 2012
Back again, someone asked what we think if you restricted it to picks and prospects, honestly I don't know what Nonis would do but my personal opinion is not to do the deal.

We aren't going to contend for a couple years(at least) anyways, by then Gorges will not be as effective for us and with his big contract remaining I would rather spend my money elsewhere. Pretty much Franson and a prospect not named Finn, Nylander, Granberg, Biggs, Gauthier or better known as prospects that project to be a 4th liner at best. Not because Gorges is terrible but he isn't what we need right now. We need someone that will fit in with our age group.

The only good getting Gorges now would be that he can play with Rielly and Gardiner and they can have the same steadfast partner to develop with like Subban did. Unless that is Nonis' plan I think it is a trade best not to happen.

Someone also said they you guys are looking for forwards in return, with us I don't think we have anyone tradeable in this sort of deal. Our forwards are either really valuable or just trash, you wouldn't want anyone outside of our top 6 and we wouldn't want to give anyone up other than Clarkson who isn't really a top 6 guy lol.

Anyways, thanks for your responses! Hopefully for both our sakes this deal doesn't happen...unless we fleece you :D Happy offseason, good luck(sort of).

Edit: I guess Lupul but that would probably rely heavily on us making a splash for someone like Stastny/Moulson July 1st. I wouldn't want Lupul playing against us, every ex leaf seems to come back and haunt us no matter how good or bad they are.

ChuckyTheBeast

May 16, 2014
I assume Toronto offered a lot in order to get Gorges...

Gorges is a character player that bergevin even said at the end of the year he likes. Toronto has a tendency to overpay, who knows maybe they overpayed in this trade also...

Lupul is way too injury prone

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
Before making such absolute claims, I do believe we ought to see Franson in a different environment than Toronto.

Well I'm taking into account how bad toronto is here. It's just that franson is one of the reasons that makes toronto bad. Not the other way around.

capebretoncanadien

Nov 29, 2008
Don't want Franson even a little bit.

He is big pylon.

Why the hell are we getting rid of Gorges again?

I don't get it.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I wouldn't think so. Bergevin is ready to dump Gorges in the waivers. I doubt the Leafs would need to overpay to get him.

Hopefully if it is for Franson it involves a pick coming our way..

But if the reason is to get Boyle.. we will have 3 RHD that need PP time..

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
Well I'm taking into account how bad toronto is here. It's just that franson is one of the reasons that makes toronto bad. Not the other way around.

But he only plays 20 min/game, and plays 2nd PP unit. Doesn't look like he has a major role on the leafs. I'd look elsewhere for reasons why they suck.

With us he could play on the 3rd pairing with Tinordi.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
That's an awful lot coming back for Gorges.. Lupul being injury prone or not. In that scenario we'd have to move Bourque out and have either Chucky or Lupul playing on the 3rd line..

Unless Lupul has become a RW?
Lupul was a RWer before Toronto.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
I don't think Franson is as bad as everyone is painting him. He wouldn't be on our top pairing and likely wouldn't be getting significant second pairing minutes either. He could give us a legitimate second unit PP too. He's also just about to turn 27, he could still improve when you consider he only made the NHL a few years ago. Obviously it would not be a great return but it would not be the end of the world like some proclaim.

If that's all you can get, why not trade him to a team with cap space desperately needing a veteran(Florida Edmonton etc).

Edmonton paid a 5th for Nikitin's rights...I'm sure they would offer more than Franson.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad