Rumor: Josh Gorges trade speculation (blocked trade to TOR)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HabsHockey*

If Gorges is gone there's definitely a good chance Tinordi will make the team and be taking a lot of his PK minutes. Markov, Emelin and Subban all played quite a bit of time on the PK last year as well.

No. Even Diaz played more time on the PK than PK. Weaver almost as much in 1/4 of the games.

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
If Gorges is gone there's definitely a good chance Tinordi will make the team and be taking a lot of his PK minutes. Markov, Emelin and Subban all played quite a bit of time on the PK last year as well.

We're talking quality minutes though. Gorges is one of the best penalty killers in the entire league, Markov and Emelin both struggled on the PK last year, Markov especially toward the end of the season.

I trust Subban on the PK because there is literally nothing he can't do, and while I like Tinordi on the PK in the future, and giving him some kind of role this year on the PK, Josh Gorges he is not.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
We're talking quality minutes though. Gorges is one of the best penalty killers in the entire league, Markov and Emelin both struggled on the PK last year, Markov especially toward the end of the season.

I trust Subban on the PK because there is literally nothing he can't do, and while I like Tinordi on the PK in the future, and giving him some kind of role this year on the PK, Josh Gorges he is not.

Again, our PK improved to 89% with PK there instead of Gorges (and without Murray) during Gorges's injury this year. So we can be just fine without him (and Murray for that matter).

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
Why the HE double hockey sticks would you want Dan Boyle he is 38 years old,and he sure did a lot to help San Jose in the playoffs,i would rather take my chance with right handed shot D-man Magnus Nygren and his 105 MPH slapshot.

IF we can sign Boyle to a 1 year deal, that would be a great stop gap until one of Beaulieu, Tinordi or Nygren can play a bigger role. At any rate Boyle is a lot better than Gorges overall.

ChuckyTheBeast

May 16, 2014
I read on an article that the trade was this:

Lupul and Franson for Gorges

I'll try to find the link and post it

Overtime Period

OvertimePeriod
Jun 20, 2008
Montreal
@DarrenDreger: Brendan Shanahan continues to try and encourage Josh Gorges to accept trade to the Maple Leafs. So far, no luck, but still a chance.

G4be

Jan 22, 2014
I hope Gorges situation ends in a trade than potential waived or bought out. Habs need to spends some $$$ to acquire some offensive forwards.

Ever since MB became GM, he went out to get players who are tough defensive players, and I'm hoping this off season, he goes out to get offensive minded players.

I don't mind being one of top shot blocking teams in NHL but for once, at least can we be one of top guns in offensive teams like Chicago has been about every season.

whisperNthewind8

Mar 26, 2013
I would love to know what the return is before I start rooting for Shanahan to convince Gorges to accept a trade.

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
IF we can sign Boyle to a 1 year deal, that would be a great stop gap until one of Beaulieu, Tinordi or Nygren can play a bigger role. At any rate Boyle is a lot better than Gorges overall.
That goes without saying. Boyle pushing 40 on one leg is better than Gorges overall. I still think Boyle will end up in Tampa though.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
To me, waiving or trading Josh Gorges for any trash player would be a terrible asset management.

I'm well aware Bergevin wants to clear some cap space, but trading someone as useful as Gorges for peanuts only because he's overpaid by a few is terrible.

Perhaps small non physical, no offense dmen with partial NTC paid 3.9M/per for the next 4 years are not as interesting to actual NHL GMs as we might believe.

That goes without saying. Boyle pushing 40 on one leg is better than Gorges overall. I still think Boyle will end up in Tampa though.

It would be a good fit. Maybe why Yzerman is making room.

Tomorrow is going to be an interesting day for sure. So happy to be on vacation right now.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
The rumor is that it's for Franson...not a fan of that deal. Franson to be is a #5 guy who can help the PP.

RC51

Dec 10, 2005
mtl
Josh is a good asset, I dont much care if its TO but no way someone does not step up to trade for him before any waiver. IF Mb want to add to the war chest before tomorrow what will come back the the habs is a good pick or prospect.
This is all good, the bottom line is, Josh just lost his job to Beaulieu and Tinordi, and that is as it should be. This happens to EVERY player eventually.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
@DarrenDreger: Brendan Shanahan continues to try and encourage Josh Gorges to accept trade to the Maple Leafs. So far, no luck, but still a chance.

Gorges doesn't want to leave an organization booting his ass out the door and won't go to an organization who is begging for him :laugh:

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
I feel bad for ya Josh,and knowing you don't want to leave .... hockey can be cruel at times.. the money has taken over and everyone is just commodity now...just part of the big money .....like cattle no question,nothing more than a numbers game.

You gave Habs great service,you can hold your head VERY high as a Montreal Canadien.

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
The best part of all this is tat Gorges can't be captain anymore. I will sleep good tonight.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
The rumor is that it's for Franson...not a fan of that deal. Franson to be is a #5 guy who can help the PP.

If it's to make room for Boyle/Robidas/Niskanen/Ehrhoff + Franson on the bottom line (and a pick - can't see it be a pure 1 on 1 deal), then I'd be pretty pleased.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004

Franson was not liked by the coach in Toronto. Perhaps a change of scenery would help him become a better player. We all know Toronto sucks anyway. He does have an interesting overall package even if he hasn't put it all together.

PricePkPatch*

Franson.. youngish 6'5" pylon who's underperformed in the Maple Leafs' ABYSMAL system..

I'd be willing to give him a chance. Wouldn't mind him against, let's say, the Bruins.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad