Rumor: Josh Gorges trade speculation (blocked trade to TOR)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexdaman

Wolfman
Mar 12, 2012
Hell/Heaven
Not sure about the upset part. These non-trade clause are exactly for this kind of situation. The habs are being offered more something good and MB probably said to Josh that its his call now, if a player feels bad about such a situation its that he doesnt understand the business. I think Gorges will want to stay and I don't think MB will mind.

Sentinels

Apr 1, 2009
Not really understanding why we are getting rid of Gorges after we signed Emelin to pretty much the same money. Between Gorges & Emelin, I would probably keep Gorges.

HBDay

Jan 28, 2013
I understand the business and hockey side of this trade. I'm just put off by the comments people are making towards Josh. I guess I am emotional because this is a player who grew within the Habs organization and I just can't see him wearing another teams jersey. His contract is a good one, his play is still at a high level given his offensive limitations, and despite how people try to spin it he hasn't shown signs of aging yet, being one of our more consistent players in the playoffs.

If the issue is salary and making room for youth or finding a better balance on D, I understand. But he has his spot on this team, and I know he has a lot of hockey left in him and it's painful to see him being pushed out of this city due to non hockey related reasons. He deserves better.

Don't be.

Josh Gorges never grew with the organization in the sense that we did not draft him we did not bring him up to the NH:. San Jose Did.

Second. He never grew in this organization, actually, he quite stayed the same. Never progressed much.

Subban, Pacioretty, Gallagher, Markov, Plekanecs grew with this organization.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Not really understanding why we are getting rid of Gorges after we signed Emelin to pretty much the same money. Between Gorges & Emelin, I would probably keep Gorges.

Emelin provides better offense and physicality.

Jack Bourdain

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 25, 2008
Don't be.

Josh Gorges never grew with the organization in the sense that we did not draft him we did not bring him up to the NH:. San Jose Did.

Second. He never grew in this organization, actually, he quite stayed the same. Never progressed much.

Cut the revisionist history BS. He flourished as an elite defensive defenseman as soon as he was traded to the Habs. He was a nobody in San Jose and was considered a bag of pucks in that trade. Just because you don't draft a player doesn't mean you don't develop them.

I wonder why teams are making great offers for such an albatross of a contract/player?

This is exactly the type of BS I'm fed up of reading in these forums. If you're going to try and make an argument, don't say stupid lies.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
I understand the business and hockey side of this trade. I'm just put off by the comments people are making towards Josh. I guess I am emotional because this is a player who grew within the Habs organization and I just can't see him wearing another teams jersey. His contract is a good one, his play is still at a high level given his offensive limitations, and despite how people try to spin it he hasn't shown signs of aging yet, being one of our more consistent players in the playoffs.

If the issue is salary and making room for youth or finding a better balance on D, I understand. But he has his spot on this team, and I know he has a lot of hockey left in him and it's painful to see him being pushed out of this city due to non hockey related reasons. He deserves better.

His contract is not a good one, and his play has been ordinary at best the last two seasons. He costs too much to play the role for which he is suited, plain and simple. I mean, when your most important relationship with the puck is being hit by it, and you're not a goalie, that's a problem. Better options are emerging on LD from within, and his salary is getting in the way of fixing the #2 RD hole which doesn't have a solution from within.

That much is fact. The following is conjecture: I think his message is wearing thin in the room. Since when does such limited ability grant you such license to speak? Because you give it your "all"? I imagine that reason wears thin with others when your all just ain't all that much.

Patccmoi

Aug 11, 2010

I loved Gorges devotion to the team, but no, he was not on a good contract. Gorges should be a bottom pairing D (a good one), one of the reasons why he blocks so many shots is because he's pretty bad at making good plays to get out of his zone. He's payed quite a bit for a 5th D, and his total lack of offense can be a weakness for a top 4 D.

I agree that he had a spot on this team, if we could've afforded him as a 5th, but I don't think we can right now. Some teams have just aweful D depth and could use him in their top 4, but if we want to take a step forward he shouldn't be in our top 4, and with Markov/Subban salaries it's hard to pay him in our bottom pair.

I wish him the best of luck, and it IS kinda sad to see him go. I disagree with people saying he's broken or whatever, he's a fine player and he does his absolute best with the tools he has, but those tools have limitations. But I agree with the decision, and I'm more than happy to see that the leadership change is starting to occur. If Gionta and Gorges are gone, it will leave a lot more room for younger guys to step him and take a leadership role, and I think that's healthy with the way the team is built, considering our best players are the younger guys.

HBDay

Jan 28, 2013
Cut the revisionist history BS. He flourished as an elite defensive defenseman as soon as he was traded to the Habs. He was a nobody in San Jose and was considered a bag of pucks in that trade. Just because you don't draft a player doesn't mean you don't develop them.

I wonder why teams are making great offers for such an albatross of a contract/player?

This is exactly the type of BS I'm fed up of reading in these forums. If you're going to try and make an argument, don't say stupid lies.

What great offers are you talking about? I've only heard of a blocked trade to toronto and the possibility of going to waivers or being bought out. I think you are the one who is lying and making things up to yourself.

Tell me what great offers your talking about?

Players come and go man don't be so emotional.

Edit: He will get traded for picks and a low level player. I'll let you know when I'm right K.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011

post-23747-Oprah-shaking-head-NO-gif-Imgu-SO8b.gif

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
What great offers are you talking about? I've only heard of a blocked trade to toronto and the possibility of going to waivers or being bought out. I think you are the one who is lying and making things up to yourself.

Tell me what great offers your talking about?

Players come and go man don't be so emotional.

Edit: He will get traded for picks and a low level player. I'll let you know when I'm right K.

would like to know who got this Pejorative Slured idea that Gorges could be bought out ? like we're going to pay part of his salary to play for a rival, right ?

:help:

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004

193283.gif

TopTenPlayz

Jun 6, 2014
I think Gorge's potential departure is due to them trying to sign one of the right handed defencemen on the market. Probably Strahlman or Robidas. Strahlman will prob sign for around 5M per on a long term. Aside from being a righty, not sure that he'd be an upgrade on Gorges.....

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Gorges is not a bottom pairing D man. He is a very solid top 4 defensive defenceman.

Gorges plays an honest, gives you everything he has for the team game.

I like Gorges. Good player, loyal teammate.

Rangers exposed the D, horrible time of it moving the puck out of our zone . Constantly trying to chip it off the boards with Rag forecheck led to constant turn overs by us. Poor transition game. Markov was out of gas. We could have used another PMD in the top 4.

Gorges or Emelin out. I prefer Emelin to stay.

These NTC or NMC have to stop being given out so readily.

dre2112

Jul 17, 2007
US and A
Isn't Gorges very close with a few of the players on the team, namely Carey Price? I'd hate to think how this would affect the locker room.

TopTenPlayz

Jun 6, 2014
Gorges is not a bottom pairing D man. He is a very solid top 4 defensive defenceman.

Rangers exposed the D, horrible time of it moving the puck out of our zone . Constantly trying to chip it off the boards with Rag forecheck led to constant turn overs by us. Poor transition game. Markov was out of gas. We could have used another PMD in the top 4.

I'd prefer to keep Gorges but since Emelin signed that contract extension during the season, the writings were pretty much on the wall for Gorges.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
I can imagine the Habs trading Gorges & Prust for E.Kane, then sign Ehrhoff to play alongside PK Subban. Bourque could then move to RW his natural wing and with Parenteau RW, Gionta RW or promote Andrighetto RW could be moved onto the 3rd line with a few less minutes. Bergevin now knows where the team needs to beef up, after the playoffs and a couple of these moves will gain the Habs some more puck possession.

With E.Kane, C.Ehrhoff and hopefully P.Stastny, the Habs would be a much more competitive team once Beaulieu, Tinordi and one of (Bennett/ Nygren/ Pateryn) gain experience their depth will be right up with the "Elite Playoff Contenders".:nod:

Last edited:

Habmaster

Jul 25, 2004
Victoria BC

yup.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012

yup you nailed it. Even with Emelin's warts he still brings more things we need. I think Emelin can be better if he a) gets a real training camp/offseason, etc. and b) plays his proper side.

Emelin's offense wins the tie breaker on who should stay.

Both Gorges and Emelin get a lot of hate but those people over look what they do bring. Same fans who think Timmins' legacy is Fischer and Leblanc et al. instead of PK and Price et al.

habtastic

Aug 17, 2007
Montrealer in Boston
Don't be.

Yes he did. I remember the day we traded for him. Curly haired kid wandering St. Catherines, being interviewed about joining the Habs. Saying he'd heard great things from I think Damphousse and other Montrealers. He was excited.

Then he DID develop his entire game completely over here. 2010 was a watershed year for him and Hal Gill played a big part in that. Sure it wasn't that long ago, but that's when Gorges went from solid D man to the guy we put on the ice when we don't want a goal scored. (Unless Therrien is having another aneurysm.)

(Agreeing with you)- Maybe not elite, but he got the contract he did cuz he earned it. That's what people forget. Internally, when a guy plays like that on previously such a low salary for so long, good management throws them a little extra and I bet if you go back to the day we gave him the contract, you'll see the majority of posts supporting it. Saying, "ok, a little high, but the guy deserves it and we have him locked up. YES!"

His contract is not a good one, and his play has been ordinary at best the last two seasons. He costs too much to play the role for which he is suited, plain and simple. I mean, when your most important relationship with the puck is being hit by it, and you're not a goalie, that's a problem. Better options are emerging on LD from within, and his salary is getting in the way of fixing the #2 RD hole which doesn't have a solution from within.

That much is fact. The following is conjecture: I think his message is wearing thin in the room. Since when does such limited ability grant you such license to speak? Because you give it your "all"? I imagine that reason wears thin with others when your all just ain't all that much.

Mmmm....riggggght, and that's why GMs salivate over shot blockers. He doesn't just get hit by the puck cuz he's standing there, he is a great shot blocker, there's a big difference. Pretty sure he's been in the top5 almost every year.

Everyone talks about from within as if those players are ready to step in an shut down the top players in the NHL. People moan about our weak D core. Guess what? He's the D part of the D and it's the others who are often less than great at overall stopping the puck from going in or doing stupid things in our zone (some blame to Therrien).

One thing is clear: He never makes it look easy, BUT he gets the job done and sacrifices himself to do it. The biggest knock on players is that they don't care. And we're shipping the guy who cares the most AND is effective in his role. The best on the team at it.

We need veterans to help bring along at least Tinordi, Pateryn, Nygren (Beaulieu has Markov and in any case I think he looks ready). Gorges is the right person for THOSE guys, the same way Gill was for rounding out an already developed Gorges.

It's all about that return. Therein lies (not Therrien) the interesting part. It would only make sense if the return was an offer we couldn't refuse. This is Leafs-Habs...doesn't get weirder than this with this kind of stuff and I highly doubt Gorges goes over there and becomes Komi.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad