Rumor: Josh Gorges trade speculation (blocked trade to TOR)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bentheprop

Oct 28, 2006
St Catharines, ON
Gorges is an overpaid, overrated bottom pairing d-man that has benefited from playing with Subban in the same way that Komisarek benefited from playing with Markov. I thank him for his service to the team but it's time to move on and make the team better.

ginovegas

Dec 15, 2009
Montreal
Makes no sense Gorges - he can play effectively RD.

Emelin should be the trade bait.

Tell Therrien that
Gorges played well on Markovs right side for 2 years

instead he insisted on playing Emelin there whom was clearly uncomforable there

JLP

Refugee
Aug 16, 2005
Eklund claiming Flyers, Pens and Lightning showing interest in Gorges.

Before we bash Ek, remember he broke the Briere trade today and he is in the know when it comes to the Flyers...

A Gorges Frenzy could multiply the Rivet Effect to our continuing advantage ;)

JLP

Refugee
Aug 16, 2005
If this were a Disney film there would be children outside the Centre Bell holding placards that read "We Love You Josh" and MB would welcome Gorges back in an emotional presser. If it were a Telefilm production, then Gorges would go to the Leaf and block every one of our shots and win a trophy.

Phil Parent

Sorel, 'fant d'chienne!
Feb 4, 2005
Sorel-Tracy, Quebec
I'm so torn here.

I respect Josh Gorges. He did a lot, I really respect his way of playing. I can tell you, this is a guy who will not have a pain-free retirement. He puts his body out there for the team.

On the other hand, playing like this uses your body a lot faster. And I feel that Gorges has started to break down.

So, given his contract, trading him now before other teams figure out he's broken down and still have value, for a legit top 6 guy like Lupul if the rumors are to be believed? Also, with our defensive depth? Yes, please. Absolutely.

He has been a tremendous Hab ever since he's come over in that steal of a trade with San Jose.

It would be great if he would be the Craig Rivet to our new Josh Gorges + Pick To Become Max Pacioretty, wouldn't he?

****, San Jose wants to change the team culture don't they? Ship him back to them! Enjoy the sun and the beach, Josh! Thanks for the sacrifices.

Apoplectic Habs Fan

Aug 17, 2002
I like Gorges but the defense stinks as is.

Hopefully this would mean change but I doubt it. Trading Gorges without upgrading the defense is what I fear

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
I like Gorges but the defense stinks as is.

Hopefully this would mean change but I doubt it. Trading Gorges without upgrading the defense is what I fear

Pretty sure the habs want to sign an RD to take Emelin's spot. Tinordi and Beaulieu will be given chances in Gorges' stead. Both improve our defense, IMO. If not immediately, then in the very near future.

LastChancePrice

Dec 12, 2004
Which one you like the most:

-Subban
-Markov
-Gorges
-Emelin
-Weaver
-Beaulieu
-Bouillon

or

-Subban
-Markov
-Boyle
-Niskanen
-Emelin
-Beaulieu
-Tinordi.

Mayyybe, just maybe, Bergevin going for Boyle and Niskanen?

Jack Bourdain

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 25, 2008
Never thought I would see the day where people throw a player who wants to play for the logo in front of his sweater under the bus.

What a pathetic fan base we have here on HFBoards. Hope everyone enjoys watching Emelin get beaten on every second play and can't wait for the next whipping boy to be chosen.

LastChancePrice

Dec 12, 2004
Never thought I would see the day where people throw a player who wants to play for the logo in front of his sweater under the bus.

What a pathetic fan base we have here on HFBoards. Hope everyone enjoys watching Emelin get beaten on every second play and can't wait for the next whipping boy to be chosen.

I honestly feel that why. Bergevin, for not telling Gorges also, doesnt look good with this one.

MDN

Jun 6, 2013
Montreal
Which one you like the most:

-Subban
-Markov
-Gorges
-Emelin
-Weaver
-Beaulieu
-Bouillon

or

-Subban
-Markov
-Boyle
-Niskanen
-Emelin
-Beaulieu
-Tinordi.

Mayyybe, just maybe, Bergevin going for Boyle and Niskanen?
Lots of reports going around that Niskanen is looking for term and about 6m as well. I think Stralman might be a better option

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011

What emotional nonsense is this? The logic behind the move is pretty simple, and coupled with a free agent signing on RD, Emelin is a non-factor. If Bergevin pulls this off, the team will be better. Is that not what you want to see?

SpeedyPotato

Mar 29, 2012

Yeah I kind of agree... Players that really wanna play for a team and embrace the city they live in like Gorges are not that common... I understand he's overpaid and that this is business, but for the first time in a while I've had the feeling the habs were an actual team last year, that most players cared for each other. I'm just not sure what kind of message this sends the players, when one of their teammates who always gives it all gets booted out of town like this. Hopefully I'm wrong, but it still makes me kinda sad.

Richiebottles

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 26, 2010

I don't think it is that.

I see the opposite actually.

Like it or not the NHL is a business like any other. It is possible to be asked to leave and you should suck it up and move on.

Also, people fail to see that MB has a bigger plan to get better. He wouldn't deal Gorges and throw the team out there as is. He is a smart GM.

People really need to stop getting attached to players as much as they do. Especially ones like Gorges. They come and go and that's it.

HBDay

Jan 28, 2013

Josh Gorges plays for the Canadiens yes. Yes he puts the team on pedestal. But what do you know about him?

There is a change of leadership in motion. It is good for our team. Very good. Don't feel bad for Gorges, he makes more money than a brain surgeon. Which is alot more than you make. Instead of operating on brains he has to live with the reality of he might have to move his life and family elsewhere at any given moment.

Jack Bourdain

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 25, 2008
What emotional nonsense is this? The logic behind the move is pretty simple, and coupled with a free agent signing on RD, Emelin is a non-factor. If Bergevin pulls this off, the team will be better. Is that not what you want to see?

I understand the business and hockey side of this trade. I'm just put off by the comments people are making towards Josh. I guess I am emotional because this is a player who grew within the Habs organization and I just can't see him wearing another teams jersey. His contract is a good one, his play is still at a high level given his offensive limitations, and despite how people try to spin it he hasn't shown signs of aging yet, being one of our more consistent players in the playoffs.

If the issue is salary and making room for youth or finding a better balance on D, I understand. But he has his spot on this team, and I know he has a lot of hockey left in him and it's painful to see him being pushed out of this city due to non hockey related reasons. He deserves better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad