News Article: Josh Cooper (from puck daddy) can **** right off

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
They've won a cup since moving to Carolina, how is that not tangible success? The team HAS been successful and still lacked fan support. No team is going to be a winning franchise for its entire life, so if that's what it takes for a successful team in a place like Carolina, it's not feasible.

And come on, fledgling market? They've been there since 1997.

The area IS the problem with that franchise, not ownership or lack of team success.

You have to assume he is talking about Zona. Carolina has no excuse.

IceAce

Strait Trippin'
Jun 9, 2010
Philadelphia
They've won a cup since moving to Carolina, how is that not tangible success? The team HAS been successful and still lacked fan support. No team is going to be a winning franchise for its entire life, so if that's what it takes for a successful team in a place like Carolina, it's not feasible.

And come on, fledgling market? They've been there since 1997.

The area IS the problem with that franchise, not ownership or lack of team success.

He replied to a comment about Carolina, so that's who I'm assuming he's talking about.

I was actually talking about Arizona here not Carolina, although my initial comment in the thread referred to both cities.

Honestly, I dont think Carolina needs a star to survive (although 1997 isn't even 20 years ago yet so they're still a rather new market at this point). Arizona on the other hand needs all the help it can get.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
I was actually talking about Arizona here not Carolina, although my initial comment in the thread referred to both cities.

Honestly, I dont think Carolina needs a star to survive. Arizona on the other hand needs all the help it can get.

A star player like McDavid might be able to help a team like Arizona. Personally I don't think it would be enough, but there's at least merit to that argument. Carolina on the other hand...

cardiffgiant

Continue without supporting us
Sep 28, 2005
No they didn't.

Pittsburgh didn't build a crappy team on purpose. They tore down a pretty good team and iced garbage rosters because they were hemorrhaging money and could't afford to do anything else. They basically limped along as a franchise in the years leading up to the lockout. The were very close to relocating. They then got Sidney Crosby by pure luck winning a draft lottery. And the way the NHL set up that lottery the Pens weren't rewarded for being as bad as they were in the way a typical draft lottery would reward a bottom dweller. Only missing the playoffs in the 4 years prior to the draft were used to determine how high a team was in the draft order. Which meant the Pens odds of getting Crosby ended up the same as ours, Columbus and the Rangers. I think it was roughly 9%. Compared to the 20% now or the 25% in the year prior in a typical draft lottery.

The Hawks never tried to ice the absolutely worst team in the league. They also got one of their core superstars via draft lottery luck. They were 16pts above last place and slotted to pick 5th overall when they won the draft lottery and got Kane.

Neither the Pens or the Hawks set about to intentionally ice the very worst teams in the league in order to draft at the top of the draft. And the both were incredibly lucky to land superstars they did. Players that they wouldn't have won a Cup without.

We iced epically bad teams last year and this year with the intention of finishing last and guaranteeing a top 2 pick. Basically trying to remove as much luck from the scenario as possible. Neither the Hawks nor the Pens were this calculating or planned things in this manner.

It's pretty widely believed that the Pens threw the 83-84 season in order to draft Lemieux, but agree that the Crosby draft wasn't the result of tanking.

I've never htought about it until this post, but you never see Pens fans complaining about Buffalos place in the standings on the main forum. Then again, maybe they do and I don't notice because that clown Mortgage Broker won't stop with his agenda.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
It's pretty widely believed that the Pens threw the 83-84 season in order to draft Lemieux, but agree that the Crosby draft wasn't the result of tanking.

I've never htought about it until this post, but you never see Pens fans complaining about Buffalos place in the standings on the main forum. Then again, maybe they do and I don't notice because that clown Mortgage Broker won't stop with his agenda.

I know it's believed they tried to get Mario. I was just refering to what happened leading up to Crosby.

As for which fans complain about tanking, I don't really pay close enough attention to really know. And I only know when national press does something when it's brought up in our forum.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad