Prospect Info: Josh Brook II

Status
Not open for further replies.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
ATM Harris is much more polished and well rounded, it's really not even close. Struble is still very much a work in progress.

Harris is your safe bet to be a NHL defenseman.. 3rd pairing floor, 2nd pairing upside.. where Struble might never be a NHLer but his upside is a top pairing D man because of how toolsy he is.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Harris is your safe bet to be a NHL defenseman.. 3rd pairing floor, 2nd pairing upside.. where Struble might never be a NHLer but his upside is a top pairing D man because of how toolsy he is.

yep. it's the classic 'upside vs. readiness' debate. that's why i qualified my ranking of LDs that some might have one over the other and vice versa. Struble's raw but could leap over a few ranked ahead of him in the next year depending.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Hopefully he dominates that league in short order.

Why aren't more players doing this though ?

This is good for Brook. Even if he don't dominate, he gets a taste of competition from another league. Could help him in the adjustment department. I do value when guys in the CHL import draft come over to the CHL and have very good 1st seasons. That's not easy to do with a different culture and adjusting to a different league. Talent rises to the top in cases like this. Lets see what Brook can do. There is multiple layers of development he can gain from this.

Why are more players not doing this? Could it be that they take roster spots from others away? If you were managing those leagues, would you go all in on that where some of those players might get taken back once the CHL and AHL starts up again?

Big Empty

He's a big horse
Jan 27, 2020
Montréal
I feel like most are pretty low on him right now. I’m interested to see what he becomes. The hype was definitely a bit too high but he’s a decent prospect.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I feel like most are pretty low on him right now. I’m interested to see what he becomes. The hype was definitely a bit too high but he’s a decent prospect.

he has all the tools to be a great prospect, he struggled physically, and at the start of the season his defensive play was at times terrible. He showed big improvements there as the season went on, going from the 3rd pairing at the start with Alzner to the top pairing by the end and was playing his best hockey by far. I've heard he's bulked up, I fully expect him to be one of our best players in Laval and I think he's going to move back into the top 5 of our prospects. He's legit if he's added a good amount of strength and some mass.

Big Empty

He's a big horse
Jan 27, 2020
Montréal
he has all the tools to be a great prospect, he struggled physically, and at the start of the season his defensive play was at times terrible. He showed big improvements there as the season went on, going from the 3rd pairing at the start with Alzner to the top pairing by the end and was playing his best hockey by far. I've heard he's bulked up, I fully expect him to be one of our best players in Laval and I think he's going to move back into the top 5 of our prospects. He's legit if he's added a good amount of strength and some mass.
If he could play top pair minutes for Laval all year that’d be great for his development.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
If he could play top pair minutes for Laval all year that’d be great for his development.

I assume he does unless Juulsen gets sent down for longer then his allowed 2 week conditioning stint. When Fleury was sent down, Brook was considerably better defensively so I would hope that he would get first crack although as a 3rd year pro they need to know what they have in Fleury next season more so it will be interesting to see how Bouchard handles it. I think Brook was really smart to go to the DEL and get some work in so hopefully that pays off for him as well.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
The funny thing about the Habs prospects in both a good and bad way is that i would not be the least bit surprised if any of say our top 10 or so prospects ended up being our best down the road. Guys like Brook, Struble, Norlinder have such interesting offensive tools to go with elite skating/mobility that any of them could end up breaking out and being a high end player or of course none of them do since we all know how hard it is to find that Markov level type.

Brook did not look like Brook barely at all last season and that has to change in a major way. He's at his best when he gets the puck and rushes it up ice, end to end and creates offense either with his playmaking (among the best in our system for blueliners) or using his wrist shot (not as good of a shot as say Norlinder). But it's moving the puck up ice in a hurry, making things happen in the offensive zone and while there were flashes of this, it was way, way too rare a sight. I suspect it had to do with his confidence taking a bit hit due to his lack of strength impacting his game so much early on that he struggled all year to get it back.

So my hope is that the talk of him having bulked up this off-season means he will start to play his game in Laval and if so that would be great news.

Reactions: DAChampion

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Did Brook only play one game in Germany before coming back in Canada?

I haven't heard if he's still over there or not. He played 2 games and then nothing since the 7th so I guess he left? I use eliteprospects for transfers and so far I have yet to see any Habs listed despite KK, and Vejdemo leaving their teams weeks ago so I don't know what the delay is in updating that info. You would think some of the Habs beat writers would be talking about it.

Reactions: TesseractPrice

frapp10

Feb 21, 2015
Any place to see his stats in Germany? Elite prospects and hockeydb don’t have anything

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Hopefully he dominates that league in short order.

Why aren't more players doing this though ?

Juulsen especially needs to play.

And, Mete might not see a lot of action until there's an injury on defense. He should have been playing.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
To avoid the waiver wire, can a team loan out a player to a European team so they can play and not risk losing them? I'd do that with Juulsen if it works that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad