Prospect Info: Josh Brook II

Status
Not open for further replies.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
man, whereas 2018-19 was a great season for our prospects, 2019-20 was just horrible for many of them

Poehling, Brook, KK are some of the big fallers...

At least Suzuki really impressed and Romanov Caufield maintained the hype. Other than that its been meh for the big prospects

Norlinder was named top prospect in the Allsvenskan, Harris was one of the best U-20 blueliners in the NCAA, Primeau had a very good season despite one bad run of 5 games, name to the AHL All Rookie team. Evans went from a horrible start to a ppg in his 2nd pro season. Hillis had a very strong year after missing so much time to injury, was one of the league leaders in assists as was Fonstad in the dub. Stapley had a nice jump in ppg from .59 to .86, the same ppg as Poehling's last season though they are the same age.

But it was a tough year for injuries with Ikonen, Juulsen, Fairbrother, Teasdale, Struble, Olofsson, Kotka, Norlinder

Poehling and Kotka were really bad though and when you have 2 of your 1st rounders struggle so badly that's highly concerning. Hopefully it was a matter of injuries impacting both although I was never high on Poehling's upside, I always saw him as a very likely NHLer in time.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Norlinder was named top prospect in the Allsvenskan, Harris was one of the best U-20 blueliners in the NCAA, Primeau had a very good season despite one bad run of 5 games, name to the AHL All Rookie team. Evans went from a horrible start to a ppg in his 2nd pro season. Hillis had a very strong year after missing so much time to injury, was one of the league leaders in assists as was Fonstad in the dub. Stapley had a nice jump in ppg from .59 to .86, the same ppg as Poehling's last season though they are the same age.

But it was a tough year for injuries with Ikonen, Juulsen, Fairbrother, Teasdale, Struble, Olofsson, Kotka, Norlinder

Poehling and Kotka were really bad though and when you have 2 of your 1st rounders struggle so badly that's highly concerning. Hopefully it was a matter of injuries impacting both although I was never high on Poehling's upside, I always saw him as a very likely NHLer in time.

At least with Kotkaniemi, his stretch in the AHL was great.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016

Yeah the depth may have done well but the top really f***ed up

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Yeah the depth may have done well but the top really f***ed up

not really since had Kotka not f***ed up he wouldn't be considered a prospect and that leaves mainly Poehling who at least to me had no business being considered a top 5 prospect for us. Brook you can make a case for but if you look at his numbers after the first 7 weeks of the season he went from .11 ppg to a .27 for the rest of the year. While a .27 is still not very impressive, over 76 games it would be 21 pts, right in line with what Fleury did last year on another offensively challenged team. But the main point would be that he improved by a large amount from the start of the year to the end especially in his own end.

So for me outside of the Kotka the top 5 prospects had a strong year, the top 10 not as much since I have Struble, Poehling and Brook in my top 10 but Hillis, Evans, Pitlick were right there.

My top 6 is Caufield, Kotka, Romanov, Primeau, Norlinder, Harris so for me it was outside of Kotka a very good year for our top. But it's all in how you look at it, who you look at as Poehling did in fact have likely the worst season any 1st round pick had under Timmins as a 20 year old pro. It was f***ing brutal and Brook was clearly a big disappointment after such a great year in the dub. The injuries f***ing sucked too, have never seen that many prospects out for the season in one year, hope to never see it again.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
not really since had Kotka not f***ed up he wouldn't be considered a prospect and that leaves mainly Poehling who at least to me had no business being considered a top 5 prospect for us. Brook you can make a case for but if you look at his numbers after the first 7 weeks of the season he went from .11 ppg to a .27 for the rest of the year. While a .27 is still not very impressive, over 76 games it would be 21 pts, right in line with what Fleury did last year on another offensively challenged team. But the main point would be that he improved by a large amount from the start of the year to the end especially in his own end.

So for me outside of the Kotka the top 5 prospects had a strong year, the top 10 not as much since I have Struble, Poehling and Brook in my top 10 but Hillis, Evans, Pitlick were right there.

My top 6 is Caufield, Kotka, Romanov, Primeau, Norlinder, Harris so for me it was outside of Kotka a very good year for our top. But it's all in how you look at it, who you look at as Poehling did in fact have likely the worst season any 1st round pick had under Timmins as a 20 year old pro. It was f***ing brutal and Brook was clearly a big disappointment after such a great year in the dub. The injuries f***ing sucked too, have never seen that many prospects out for the season in one year, hope to never see it again.
Yeah I was really high on both Brook and Poehling. Too bad they struggled so much.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Yeah I was really high on both Brook and Poehling. Too bad they struggled so much.

well not many were higher on Brook then me, Poehling not as much. Brook at least we can look at how he started to how he ended up and see a big difference. Bouchard talked about how he felt unlike Fleury that Brook lacked strength and it was impacting him, hopefully that was the case and he can get back to playing his game as neither did that in Laval and that was a huge concern.

Poehling we know the kid has the physical tools but how good is he? I have said at worst he should be a better Chipchura so now we just need to see if he can get back to playing his game which is speed, passing, solid two way game. He's got to learn to keep his head up though, he's taking too many hits that he needs to avoid.

Reactions: larrypacman8167

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
well not many were higher on Brook then me, Poehling not as much. Brook at least we can look at how he started to how he ended up and see a big difference. Bouchard talked about how he felt unlike Fleury that Brook lacked strength and it was impacting him, hopefully that was the case and he can get back to playing his game as neither did that in Laval and that was a huge concern.

Poehling we know the kid has the physical tools but how good is he? I have said at worst he should be a better Chipchura so now we just need to see if he can get back to playing his game which is speed, passing, solid two way game. He's got to learn to keep his head up though, he's taking too many hits that he needs to avoid.

Chipchura had foot speed issues, but was smart with the puck.

Poehlong has great speed, but his puck skills are lacking. I'm not convinced Poehlong can be a center at the NHL level. But, he may become an excellent power forward even if he turns out to never be a center.

And Poehling has a drive to the net create offense that Chipchura never had.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Chipchura had foot speed issues, but was smart with the puck.

Poehlong has great speed, but his puck skills are lacking. I'm not convinced Poehlong can be a center at the NHL level. But, he may become an excellent power forward even if he turns out to never be a center.

And Poehling has a drive to the net create offense that Chipchura never had.

Chipchura had the defensive game that Poehling doesn't as he was an elite defensive forward at the same age, but lacked much of a shot and was an ok playmaker. Poehling doesn't have a very good shot and is a decent playmaker with a solid defensive game but he's not elite or even a high end defensive forward. It's all about how much can he develop his offensive game as his defensive game is solid but not great. He's got the speed, skating, size and strength but needs to find a way to put up points or he risks ending up the same as Chipchura.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016

Hopefully Poehling follows a similar development path that Danault had.

Danault was very underwhelming in the A and in the NHL for the hawks which led to the decision to trade him.

Hopefully Poehling can find his footing and do well.

Brook is a D and still has a lot of time to figure things out.

Reactions: montreal

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Chipchura had the defensive game that Poehling doesn't as he was an elite defensive forward at the same age, but lacked much of a shot and was an ok playmaker. Poehling doesn't have a very good shot and is a decent playmaker with a solid defensive game but he's not elite or even a high end defensive forward. It's all about how much can he develop his offensive game as his defensive game is solid but not great. He's got the speed, skating, size and strength but needs to find a way to put up points or he risks ending up the same as Chipchura.

the reason I see him potentially as a power forward is he just hasn't shown good puck skills. But hopefully he can develop them.

Poehling also has exceptional drive, imo. I think that will help him find a niche long term. The the is, he should be using that drive to develop his skills now instead of trying to find that niche immediately on the wing on the 4th line in the NHL. Good guidance is key right now.

Mario le Magnifique

Habs apologist, closet Pens fan
Dec 6, 2007
My basement
Brook is young and raw, but the skating is there. I'm pretty sure he will become an NHLer some day, just based on skating and fluidity, he will learn to position and play the game like a Petry-lite.

Poehling, sadly, I don't see more than him being just another De la Rose for us. Good 4rth liner, nothing more nothing less. He mishandles the puck a lot and gets caught in bad positions then gets hit hard. He will learn to dump and chase or will have a very short career, guy just can't control the puck at high speed.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Brook definitely struggled at the start of the season, but got better as it went on.

To be expected for a guy who just turned pro. I think some where a bit too high on him before he turned pro. Nothing wrong with it cause he did dominate Junior hockey at 19. He was solid at the WJC too. There was an outside chance he would jump right in and look dynamic. But at this point, I have lowered him to top 4D potential, not top pairing.

I expect Evans type development where he has progress the more experience he gets. Same goes for Poehling.

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
I saw him play the games. He was great. He went ppg and was dangerous all game.

TETOO,just don't find that scoring 1 goal in 13 AHL games as a highly touted draft pick is great. Nice he went PPG ,but assists can be picked up at times without merit,not saying he didn't deserve them not seeing him play,but it's the AHL

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Not great,ok. A goal is not enough in the AHL and more shooting should have been possible.

a 19 year old putting up a ppg is very impressive, but it was a small sample size so we can't read too much into it other then he did what you want to see and that's a player that was struggling badly in the NHL go to the AHL and be one of the teams best players night in and night out. Yes he should have scored more goals and he needs to shoot more, he needs to work on his shot more to get it more accurate but he was a raw prospect that needs work in several areas like skating, balance, strength.

Brook struggled?

yes very much so. In his first 7 weeks of the season he was a -7 with 2 pts but then started to get better as the season went on to the point where when moved up to the top pairing he was playing his best hockey as a pro by far. That's what you want to see though, steady improvement over the season so that by the end of the season they look much better then they did at the start. The problem was how bad he looked at the start. Bouchard said he felt it was due to a lack of strength and I think he was spot on, so now we'll see how much he can improve next season.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
a 19 year old putting up a ppg is very impressive, but it was a small sample size so we can't read too much into it other then he did what you want to see and that's a player that was struggling badly in the NHL go to the AHL and be one of the teams best players night in and night out. Yes he should have scored more goals and he needs to shoot more, he needs to work on his shot more to get it more accurate but he was a raw prospect that needs work in several areas like skating, balance, strength.

yes very much so. In his first 7 weeks of the season he was a -7 with 2 pts but then started to get better as the season went on to the point where when moved up to the top pairing he was playing his best hockey as a pro by far. That's what you want to see though, steady improvement over the season so that by the end of the season they look much better then they did at the start. The problem was how bad he looked at the start. Bouchard said he felt it was due to a lack of strength and I think he was spot on, so now we'll see how much he can improve next season.

That sounds like what happens with most prospects. He had a solid season.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014

The kid knows he needs to shoot more and spent time working on his shot as well as his skating during the pandemic. The shot is a howitzer, from what we saw at training camp. Wonder if that came at a loss if accuracy, though.

The skating has a better foundation now but, will need to be tweaked consistently over the next couple of years to become second nature.

What's positive is that the kid is aware he can and needs to improve and is looking to do as much.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
So no Brook and Dauphin.

Yeah all that Brook is a sure fire #1 D hype from a year and a half ago sure died down lol...i never understood it then even, but saw what people had to say about him, couldnt believe he was being considered as our top prospect

Was always more partial to Fleury, he was on the worst team that ever skated the earth, and still produced, he's built like a truck, really hope he flourishes more here with us

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Yeah all that Brook is a sure fire #1 D hype from a year and a half ago sure died down lol...i never understood it then even, but saw what people had to say about him, couldnt believe he was being considered as our top prospect

Was always more partial to Fleury, he was on the worst team that ever skated the earth, and still produced, he's built like a truck, really hope he flourishes more here with us

I never heard him being a sure fire #1D. montreal was very bullish on him having top pairing potenial but I remember fairly clearly that Mrb1p talked about Norris potential. I could be wrong there and he didn't say it all the time but I do remember it. Otherwise, I never heard anyone talking about 'sure fire'.

The Fleury/Brook debate is now real and possibly valid. Brook progressing at the end of the year was a good sign. His tool set isn't gaudy but there's a lot to like. He just seems very well rounded. He's going to need time. I don't think he has the upside that our 3 top LD prospects have but if he's your 4th or 5th best D prospect, you can't help but be pretty happy with your D pool.

Reactions: Fenris

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

it's very rare for any prospect we have had to be tabbed a surefire top line or pairing. But Brook had an insane year in the dub last season, so it's easy to say now that he was overrated but coming off that great season it's easy to see why some got carried away with the hype. I still think he can be a top pairing D but I'm a lot less sure about it now and all along since first seeing him I would be very happy if he turns into a solid 2nd pairing D as that would be very solid for where he was picked. His coach said he lacked strength, now he needs to bulk up, so far it looks like he has, we'll see where his game is at by the end of next season, assuming there is one. He's still very likely to be an NHLer since he's got the skating, mobility, puck moving game. He showed a lot of improvement as the season went on in his defensive game and if you wipe out the first season weeks and project his season on the rest of the time, his season would look pretty solid for a 20 year old blueliner that wasn't a mainstay on the PP and on a low scoring team.

Fleury doesn't have Brook's offensive IQ imo, and I think Brook will be better defensively, where he lacks is Fleury's impressive physical game and strength. Fleury is a beast, Brook is at his best when rushing the puck up ice. But Fleury or Brook could end up being top pairing D's or bottom pairing D's at this point, neither would surprise me, but both have the skating, mobility for today's NHL. Fleury has the size, strength, big shot and physical game, Brook when he's playing his game can really move the puck better then just about any of our D prospects,

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
it's very rare for any prospect we have had to be tabbed a surefire top line or pairing. But Brook had an insane year in the dub last season, so it's easy to say now that he was overrated but coming off that great season it's easy to see why some got carried away with the hype. I still think he can be a top pairing D but I'm a lot less sure about it now and all along since first seeing him I would be very happy if he turns into a solid 2nd pairing D as that would be very solid for where he was picked. His coach said he lacked strength, now he needs to bulk up, so far it looks like he has, we'll see where his game is at by the end of next season, assuming there is one. He's still very likely to be an NHLer since he's got the skating, mobility, puck moving game. He showed a lot of improvement as the season went on in his defensive game and if you wipe out the first season weeks and project his season on the rest of the time, his season would look pretty solid for a 20 year old blueliner that wasn't a mainstay on the PP and on a low scoring team.

Fleury doesn't have Brook's offensive IQ imo, and I think Brook will be better defensively, where he lacks is Fleury's impressive physical game and strength. Fleury is a beast, Brook is at his best when rushing the puck up ice. But Fleury or Brook could end up being top pairing D's or bottom pairing D's at this point, neither would surprise me, but both have the skating, mobility for today's NHL. Fleury has the size, strength, big shot and physical game, Brook when he's playing his game can really move the puck better then just about any of our D prospects,

Agreed on this. Fleury's skating, size and offensive tools could land him on a top pairing. It's not the most likely scenario for him but it's not impossible from what I've seen.

I think you can say that about our top 5-6 D prospects. They could really be anywhere from top pairing guys to #6s. I know this might be an unpopular opinion but if Juulsen was faster I could even see him as a stay at home guy on a top pairing. His offensive skill set kind of reminds me of Romanov's. Anything more than 40+ points would be a pretty big shock but they seem competent enough with the puck on their stick where they could easily give you 30 points without it being too big a surprise while also giving you rock solid D. Romanov's much superior skating gives him the edge but they're fairly similar imo.

Reactions: montreal
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad