Prospect Info: Josh Brook II

Status
Not open for further replies.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Agreed on this. Fleury's skating, size and offensive tools could land him on a top pairing. It's not the most likely scenario for him but it's not impossible from what I've seen.

I think you can say that about our top 5-6 D prospects. They could really be anywhere from top pairing guys to #6s. I know this might be an unpopular opinion but if Juulsen was faster I could even see him as a stay at home guy on a top pairing. His offensive skill set kind of reminds me of Romanov's. Anything more than 40+ points would be a pretty big shock but they seem competent enough with the puck on their stick where they could easily give you 30 points without it being too big a surprise while also giving you rock solid D. Romanov's much superior skating gives him the edge but they're fairly similar imo.

with Juulsen I worry more about his mobility then speed, as his skating while never poor was never elite unlike just about every D prospect we have. I never saw a lot of upside in Juulsen, just a safe steady D that usually plays great in his own end until the NHL where his mobility and skating have exposed him a bit. Losing so much key development time doesn't help either. But it's like with Romanov where the guy could end up being a monster top pairing D that just wrecks the league in time or if his offensive game doesn't develop then maybe he is just a 3rd pairing D. Another is Harris, I think he's one of our most underrated prospects just as I said last year with Primeau due more to them being in the NCAA and not 1st round picks. Harris like Mete has that elite skating, mobility but if he can continue to develop his offensive game then we really got something as he can move the puck although I suspect he will end up a 3rd pairing D, he's got so much poise and is so smart that if he can get to say 195 lbs range in the next few years and continues to progress offensively without regressing defensively then he's going to turn some heads for sure in the future.

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC
Hopefully he comes into next season a lot stronger than he was last year in october as I think that is a big reason why he didn't shine as much as we thought. When I watched him in the AHL at the beginning, he'd get tossed around quite a bit along the boards, didn't win many puck battles and that can cripple your game as a defenseman. Also processed the game too slowly and made junior-passes that don't work in the pros.

I still expect Brook to be a good defenseman in the NHL one day. He's too talented, too smooth out there not to at least be able to play at that level in a bottom pairing for a few years. Same for Fleury and Juulsen.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Hopefully he comes into next season a lot stronger than he was last year in october as I think that is a big reason why he didn't shine as much as we thought. When I watched him in the AHL at the beginning, he'd get tossed around quite a bit along the boards, didn't win many puck battles and that can cripple your game as a defenseman. Also processed the game too slowly and made junior-passes that don't work in the pros.

I still expect Brook to be a good defenseman in the NHL one day. He's too talented, too smooth out there not to at least be able to play at that level in a bottom pairing for a few years. Same for Fleury and Juulsen.

Hell always have those junior plays in him, just like Petry.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I expect Josh Brook to become dominant in the A next season. He is much stronger and heavier. Hopefully his skating will stay excellent

Reactions: Habs4Life

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
Questions about the D's all ranked late first early secound for you guys as I am struggling with the finalization of my rankings...

If we all agree (maybe not ?) that the top tier is Drysdale, Sanderson, Guhle, than slightly below Schneider...

Who comes after ? How do you separate them ?

In no particular order Wallinder Jurmo Grans Cormier Barron Andrae Niemela O'Rourke Villeneuve.

I find them very difficult to rank as they're all very strong on some areas of the games with big weaknesses on other parts.
Who knows. Players like Romanov and Norlinder and Harris weren’t on any of our radars and are now the future of our D corps.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Don't know Schneider, but there's nothing excellent about Juulsen, Fleury and Brook. Or even remotely reassuring.
I still have high expectations for Brook, could become a 2nd pairing defenseman if everything goes right... One of Juulsen and Fleury will grab that third pairing RD spot, I havent gave up on them yet...

Reactions: FrankMTL

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
I still have high expectations for Brook, could become a 2nd pairing defenseman if everything goes right... One of Juulsen and Fleury will grab that third pairing RD spot, I havent gave up on them yet...
I have not given up on them either. I just don't see much potential in either of them. I liked Juulsen quite a lot, but he's been tragically unlucky and might be done as an NHL player.

goforit

Apr 14, 2010
Montreal
He was coming along at the end of the season with an increased role...

I do agree but I have some doubts about him. IMO, star junior players who struggle to adjust quickly to the AHL rarely become reliable NHLers but I really hope he can translate his junior success to the pro level!

I hope the Habs will swing for homeruns with Forwards and RHD at the draft.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005

I also hope that Brook can rebound next season. I hope he took advantage of the time off to hit the gym and get much stronger because he pretty much has all the other necessary tools to become a number 3 defenseman

Reactions: Goldenhands

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Not to derail this thread, but in your opinion who has the better or more realistic upside of these two? I've seen varying reports on what to expect from them both moving forward.
Brook is the most talended and I liked his end of season, that said, maybe Juulsen and Fleury fits better on a third pairing, they are more physical and not sure Brook would be enclined to accept this role, at least not mid-long term... Maybe Brook is part of a big upcoming trade, will see...

Edit: Well, maybe we lose Juulsen to waiver when sent to Laval and lose Fleury to the expension draft, so maybe thats not of a big deal after all...

Reactions: actuallynotPJStock

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Brook is the most talended and I liked his end of season, that said, maybe Juulsen and Fleury fits better on a third pairing, they are more physical and not sure Brook would be enclined to accept this role, at least not mid-long term... Maybe Brook is part of a big upcoming trade, will see...

Brook has absolutely no value whatsoever other than the standard value of a guy who was drafted in the 2nd round and did not show anything yet after his 1st professional year.

Reactions: Archijerej

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Brook has absolutely no value whatsoever other than the standard value of a guy who was drafted in the 2nd round and did not show anything yet after his 1st professional year.

You have no clue what his value is, teams have scouts everywhere and can watch tapes, if they like the way Brook handled himself at the end of the season when promoted to the first pairing, nothing is impossible...

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
I'd add Struble, if he REALLY hits all of his development marks. He doesn't have much of a shot but he certainly has the swagger and the confidence with the puck you'd want.

yeah we are pretty stacked with LDs (or at least Left handed D men) to the point where Struble's likely our 4th or 5th ranked LD (some put Harris higher). That's pretty nuts. He actually has solid upside.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
yeah we are pretty stacked with LDs (or at least Left handed D men) to the point where Struble's likely our 4th or 5th ranked LD (some put Harris higher). That's pretty nuts. He actually has solid upside.
ATM Harris is much more polished and well rounded, it's really not even close. Struble is still very much a work in progress.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad