Prospect Info: Josh Brook II

Status
Not open for further replies.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I'd like to see them bring him in this weekend and have him play Saturday night vs the Marlies or if they want him to get a few days of practice in then the next game on the 3rd vs the Monsters at home.

Reactions: Timelord

frapp10

Feb 21, 2015
If he plays AHL this year then does he need to be protected for the expansion draft?

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
If you're reading this Josh, I hope you know that the vast majority of hockey fans out there don't yet know what you can do - but that a small pack of rabid Habs fans residing around these parts are very optimistic towards your game and have expectations to match.

He's probably not reading this.

Stive Morgan

Mhm. Mhm. Mhm.
Jul 25, 2011
British Columbia
If you're reading this Josh, I hope you know that the vast majority of hockey fans out there don't yet know what you can do - but that a small pack of rabid Habs fans residing around these parts are very optimistic towards your game and have expectations to match.

He's probably not reading this.

I know quite a few WHL'ers who read here and reddit.... probably not legitimate NHL prospects though lol.

I did tell his parents when I met them at the WJC how excited we all are for him though.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
I'm not sure his answer was accurate - my understanding is if Brooks plays 10 pro games (AHL/NHL/Playoffs) he will need to be protected. Can someone double check if the playoff games count in the total

This is what I found in the CBA:

• A Player aged 18 or 19 earns a year of professional experience by playing 10 or more NHL games in a given NHL season
  • A player aged 20 or older (or who turns 20 between September 16 and December 31 of the year in which he signs his first SPC) earns a year of professional experience by playing 10 or more Professional Games under an SPC in a given League Year.
To answer your question, I interpret this as AHL/NHL/playoffs do count but only if the contract was signed at 20 or older. Josh was 19 so I think he is in the clear.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I'm not sure his answer was accurate - my understanding is if Brooks plays 10 pro games (AHL/NHL/Playoffs) he will need to be protected. Can someone double check if the playoff games count in the total

Not sure how this works 100% but some will correct me where I am wrong for sure. The 10 games where you burn your ELC is NHL games only. I think pro years are tied to RFA status and two things to consider in terms of players burning their 1st of 7 RFA years.....

1) Player needs to play 40 NHL games to kick in year 1/7 of their RFA years. Brook will not play 40 NHL games this season cause it's impossible. This is different between burning year 1 of your ELC (10 NHL games) vs burning year 1 of the 7 RFA years. Kotkaniemi for example has burned both his 1st year of his ELC (10 NHL games) and his 1st year of his RFA years (40 NHL games) as a 18 year old.

2) Player needs to be age 20 before Jan 1st in any given season to burn year 1/7 of their RFA years and play 1 NHL or AHL game. I believe this is what kicks in the pro years. Fleury turned 20 before Jan 1st so he has officially become a pro when he played his 1st AHL game. Vejedemo and Evans for example turned 20 a few years ago but their pro years did not start until they played their 1st AHL games this season. Poehling for example turned 20 on Jan 3rd so he is in the same situation as Brook. He can't burn his first RFA year this season cause he can't play 40 NHL games. The amount of AHL games is irrelevant.

* Playoff games (AHL or NHL) don't count as far as I know.

Last edited:
Reactions: Doxinoctae

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
This is what I found in the CBA:

• A Player aged 18 or 19 earns a year of professional experience by playing 10 or more NHL games in a given NHL season
  • A player aged 20 or older (or who turns 20 between September 16 and December 31 of the year in which he signs his first SPC) earns a year of professional experience by playing 10 or more Professional Games under an SPC in a given League Year.
To answer your question, I interpret this as AHL/NHL/playoffs do count but only if the contract was signed at 20 or older. Josh was 19 so I think he is in the clear.

The 1st point is where I have confusion. I previously thought the ELC and the 10 games to start it didn't count towards pro years. It was the age 20 (Before Jan 1st of any given season) and/or 40 NHL games where you kicked in your RFA status is where your pro years started?

Anybody know for sure?

Regardless, Brook will not play 10 NHL games this year. Nylander is the closest comparison I can think of and he played 37 AHL games in 14/15 (but he didn't play any NHL games that season). He was exempt and automatically protected in the last expansion draft but he played in the AHL/NHL for 3 seasons before the draft. The amount of AHL games he played in 14/15 was irrelevant and he was not age 20 yet either.

Last edited:

Mike Mike Caron

Aug 29, 2010
Since Laval is not making the playoff, he won't benifit much from his call up to the pros. The Rocket has 8 games left.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Since Laval is not making the playoff, he won't benifit much from his call up to the pros. The Rocket has 8 games left.

He will benefit from a few AHL games playing games down the stretch where we face playoff teams. He gets to measure his game against men for the 1st time. Then he identifies the areas he wants to train hard at in the summer to improve.

Reactions: larrypacman8167

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Laval could finish the year with Poehling Schuldt and Brook !

Possible if St. Cloud looses before the frozen 4 games on Apr 13th. St. Cloud is scheduled to play March 29-31, Apr 11, and then Apr 13th. Last game of the year for Laval is Apr 13th.

Best situation if we want Poehling and Schuldt to sign contracts and play some AHL games this year is for them to loose either game on Mar 29th or 30th this weekend. If they win both games, their next game is Apr 11th. If they lose that game, Habs have to quickly sign them and get them to Laval to play on the 12th and/or 13th

Bigger deal for Schuldt vs Poehling. Poehling will not burn his RFA or ELC this year but if Schuldt plays any AHL or NHL games, he burns both his RFA and ELC year cause he is past the age of 20 on Jan 1st of this season. Poehling turned 20 a few days later.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chr1s97

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
If this was already posted in the previous thread, then celebrate again.

Reactions: jaffy27
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad