Prospect Info: Josh Brook II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I thought Brook played a much better game overall. Hope he can keep getting better... he needs to make some strides to remain relevant.

Last year, the more the season kept going, the better he was getting. This year, he's looking even better. He's a little bigger and stronger and more physical, which helps him in the defensive zone. He's still real mobile.

He's not far from putting it all together.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I thought Brook played a much better game overall. Hope he can keep getting better... he needs to make some strides to remain relevant.
That's absolutely true...this season is critical for him...he has to keep improving or he will be surpassed quickly.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
That's absolutely true...this season is critical for him...he has to keep improving or he will be surpassed quickly.

Nah, next season is the critical one since it will be his last year without waiver eligibility.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Brook is on pace for 38 pts over 76 games, but it's a very small sample size. He's got 3 pts in the last 4 games and is a +3. He's still got a ways to go as he needs to get stronger especially lower body but have liked that he's showing solid improvement from the start of last year to the end and carried it to this season so far. That said is there some concerns about how smart he is and we need to see him flex his offensive muscle much more as that's what led him to being a career .77 ppg player in the WHL when he's rushing pucks up ice and setting up goals, he's at his best.

HuGo Burner Acc

Mar 30, 2016
I think he was way overhyped by we the fans.

I never really saw it. I hoped that he could be a future 6 or 7 after development in the AHL but he's nothing special offensively and subpar defensively. Plus he isn't a roadrunner out there

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
everyone develops at different rates but especially for D. Brook has shown a lot of improvement since turning pro, though it's highly disappointing that he's needed to show that much improvement and still be so far from the NHL (imo).

But this is a kid that was a a .77 ppg in the WHL. Name me 2-3 Hab D prospects in the last 20 years that had a career .77 ppg or higher in juniors. Clearly he's very skilled but lack of confidence, strength, etc.. have hampered his development. Right now the points are starting to come and that's very good news for us as we are loaded with D prospects but the more we can hit on the better it means for our future.

Reactions: David Suzuki

Notabaguette

Mar 4, 2018
everyone develops at different rates but especially for D. Brook has shown a lot of improvement since turning pro, though it's highly disappointing that he's needed to show that much improvement and still be so far from the NHL (imo).

But this is a kid that was a a .77 ppg in the WHL. Name me 2-3 Hab D prospects in the last 20 years that had a career .77 ppg or higher in juniors. Clearly he's very skilled but lack of confidence, strength, etc.. have hampered his development. Right now the points are starting to come and that's very good news for us as we are loaded with D prospects but the more we can hit on the better it means for our future.
Weber had those kind of stats, Subban had impressive in OHL and maybe Beaulieu? Weber wasn't a prospect but a hab....not many with those stats. He was a great WHL player and sure looked like NHL bound hope he bounces back to that status

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto

Not necessarily brook related either, but I expect to here Seattle take one of chariot or edmunson this summer, I think Allen they’ll pass on personally, if that’s the case will need to replace one of them and then the other not long after that

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

Will be very interesting to see where he's at at the end of the 2021-2022 AHL season - and the 2022 NHL camp in September 2022.

Last edited:
Reactions: montreal

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Not necessarily brook related either, but I expect to here Seattle take one of chariot or edmunson this summer, I think Allen they’ll pass on personally, if that’s the case will need to replace one of them and then the other not long after that

I would be shocked if they pass on Allen the way it's looking.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas

Brook has improved from the beginning of last season, I just expected him to be ready to show he was very close as early as last season.
If we all remember he had a terrific camp prior to his last WHL season, I simply expected way more as early as last season

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Brook has improved from the beginning of last season, I just expected him to be ready to show he was very close as early as last season.
If we all remember he had a terrific camp prior to his last WHL season, I simply expected way more as early as last season

but what you expect doesn't matter, it's how they progress and how they end up. If he ends up playing all of next year in Laval but in 2 years ends up being a solid regular for us, it doesn't matter that he took longer then we hoped. For his skill level you would hope that he could get their quicker, he lacked strength and mass last year but there may be IQ concerns that may prevent him from being more then a bottom pairing D, hard to say as we need to see how he does throughout the season.

Reactions: Fenris

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
but what you expect doesn't matter, it's how they progress and how they end up. If he ends up playing all of next year in Laval but in 2 years ends up being a solid regular for us, it doesn't matter that he took longer then we hoped. For his skill level you would hope that he could get their quicker, he lacked strength and mass last year but there may be IQ concerns that may prevent him from being more then a bottom pairing D, hard to say as we need to see how he does throughout the season.
Matters to me :)

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
Weber had those kind of stats, Subban had impressive in OHL and maybe Beaulieu? Weber wasn't a prospect but a hab....not many with those stats. He was a great WHL player and sure looked like NHL bound hope he bounces back to that status

Beaulieu was under for his career, but over for his last 3 years. Yannick Weber did, but he was in Europe for his early years so it's not a real comparison, he only has two late years and his last year doesn't compare to Subban or Brooks last junior year. Subban was over with 76 points in 56 games his last year, . Weber didn't score much in junior, that's why he wasn't picked in the first round.

Part of the reason for Brooks' high average is that he did not play much during his early years (1 game, 30 games). Pretty much all the high picks have a low scoring year then 3 high scoring years, first year drops the average. His last junior season is pretty close to Subban's, but his AHL record is so much worse.

Sam I Am

Jul 23, 2003
Visit site
...name me 2-3 Hab D prospects in the last 20 years that had a career .77 ppg or higher in juniors. Clearly he's very skilled but lack of confidence, strength, etc.. have hampered his development. Right now the points are starting to come and that's very good news for us as we are loaded with D prospects but the more we can hit on the better it means for our future.

Vicot Mete had 44 point in 50 games in the OHL. That's .88 ppg.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad