Not open for further replies.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
upload_2020-6-9_13-26-26.png

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
Laval Rocket season review: Josh Brook’s first professional season isn’t over yet

“That isn’t to say that Brook’s ability to skate with the puck and play offensively went away. He wouldn’t take many chances, and his play was on the conservative side, but he still showed flashes of that dynamic side of his game.”

“He’s also able to take open space and use his speed. This is the type of confidence that he could bring to his game more often, but he was understandably easing into hockey at the professional level. Young players tend to not want to take more chances, but you could definitely see the confidence grow as the year went on.”

Brook: “Sitting out a couple games, getting in and just skating and having fun, enjoying the game. It helped me. I think it helps my development if anything.”

Supersonic

May 27, 2013
Ontario
I feel like with all the recent obsession with KK, Suzuki, Romanov, Primeau and Norlinder that we often forget about Brook.

I fondly remember how hyped many people were about him in his final year in the Dub. I still hold out to see what he can become, it’s great we have the luxury at RD to be patient with him.

If he could become a legit puckmoving top 4 RHD talk about gravy in the pipeline...

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
I feel like with all the recent obsession with KK, Suzuki, Romanov, Primeau and Norlinder that we often forget about Brook.

I fondly remember how hyped many people were about him in his final year in the Dub. I still hold out to see what he can become, it’s great we have the luxury at RD to be patient with him.

If he could become a legit puckmoving top 4 RHD talk about gravy in the pipeline...

Brook becoming a legit, puck-moving, top-4 RHD would be far from a luxury for us.

We need two of Juulsen, Brook or Fleury to become that, given the geriatric side to our current RHD pillars.

If not, we could find ourselves in the same boat we are currently in 0n the left side of D, only on the right side of D -- Before we've even solved our woes on the left side!

That's why I believe that, if we trade Domi for help on D, we should look to bolster the right side with a younger Petry-type D and then move Petry on the trade front. That way, one of Brook, Juulsen or Fleury, only, need to mature into that legit, puck-moving RHD. If two mature into one, then we have gravy in the pipeline.

Last edited:

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

The good thing is that we didn't have to rush him, just like Fleury he started out his 1st pro season shaky and ended it looking much better. Fleury didn't struggle as badly as he clearly has more mass and strength vs Brook but as long as he's used the off-season to bulk up and get stronger then hopefully he can get back to playing more his game.

He made big strides defensively but now he needs to do what he does best, as you rarely saw it in Laval. There were a few times but it wasn't often that you would see him take the puck and rush it end to end. I'm sure the offensive skill is still there but he's got to produce at a way higher clip next year, though being a regular on the top PP unit would be a good start. But his game is about rushing the puck up ice, moving the puck.

I'm still very high on him but clearly was very disappointed as he looked like a shell of himself until late in the season when he was moved up to the top pairing and then started playing his best hockey as a pro.

Brook becoming a legit, puck-moving, top-4 RHD would be far from a luxury for us.

We need two of Juulsen, Brook or Fleury to become that, given the geriatric side to our current RHD pillars.

If not, we could find ourselves in the same boat we are currently in 0n the left side of D, only on the right side of D -- Before we've even solved our woes on the left side!

That's why I believe that, if we trade Domi for help on D, we should look to bolster the right side with a younger Petry-type D and then move Petry on the trade front. That way, one of Brook, Juulsen or Fleury, only, need to mature into that legit, puck-moving RHD. If two mature into one, then we have gravy in the pipeline.

Since Romanov, Norlinder and Harris spent just about all year at RD, I don't think we have to have two of Juulsen, Brook and Fleury, but of course it would be better if we had right handed players there. If Juulsen is 100% healthy I'm not too worried that either he or someone forces him down the depth chart will be able to at least be that bottom pairing RD.

After next season we should have a much better idea on where Brook's game is at.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
The good thing is that we didn't have to rush him, just like Fleury he started out his 1st pro season shaky and ended it looking much better. Fleury didn't struggle as badly as he clearly has more mass and strength vs Brook but as long as he's used the off-season to bulk up and get stronger then hopefully he can get back to playing more his game.

He made big strides defensively but now he needs to do what he does best, as you rarely saw it in Laval. There were a few times but it wasn't often that you would see him take the puck and rush it end to end. I'm sure the offensive skill is still there but he's got to produce at a way higher clip next year, though being a regular on the top PP unit would be a good start. But his game is about rushing the puck up ice, moving the puck.

I'm still very high on him but clearly was very disappointed as he looked like a shell of himself until late in the season when he was moved up to the top pairing and then started playing his best hockey as a pro.

Since Romanov, Norlinder and Harris spent just about all year at RD, I don't think we have to have two of Juulsen, Brook and Fleury, but of course it would be better if we had right handed players there. If Juulsen is 100% healthy I'm not too worried that either he or someone forces him down the depth chart will be able to at least be that bottom pairing RD.

After next season we should have a much better idea on where Brook's game is at.

I hear you. I'd considered adding that, as far as the cupboards were concerned, I was more confident in either Romanov or Norlinder being high enough caliber to play a top-4 role on the right side, precisely because they can swing either way and have experience playing there.

As for Brook, as long as there is progression, there's really not any rush. He,s only 20 and another two seasons wouldn't be too long fine tuning his skills in Laval at the professional level either.

Next year, he should look to gain confidence displaying his offensive skills a little more and, the following year, I'd hope he starts dominating at the AHL level.

Reactions: montreal

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Competition will be tough between Juulsen, Fleury, and Brook in the next year. Can one of them step up to a point where we feel letting Petry go is OK? Time will tell

Brook certainly works hard at getting his body in top shape. I think he has the Evans type development where he has gradual gains from season to season. Look at his years before Laval.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
good to see him bulk up, hope he sticks with it when the off-season starts back up again. Adding strength should really help him and hopefully his confidence to play his game in Laval. He's got to be the guy that rushes or moves the puck up ice with ease. I still think he's one of our top prospects but had to drop him down the rankings since his offensive game just didn't develop much at all. Granted he was working on his defensive game and that went from ugly to way better over the span of the season.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Competition will be tough between Juulsen, Fleury, and Brook in the next year. Can one of them step up to a point where we feel letting Petry go is OK? Time will tell

Brook certainly works hard at getting his body in top shape. I think he has the Evans type development where he has gradual gains from season to season. Look at his years before Laval.

Like Juulsen, many have given up on Brook.

Like you say, I look forward to seeing how he progresses with more seasoning. He has all the physical tools, including being a great skater. Time will tell whether he has the hockey sense - whether he can think the game quickly at the pro level, as Timmins likes to say.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
man, whereas 2018-19 was a great season for our prospects, 2019-20 was just horrible for many of them

Poehling, Brook, KK are some of the big fallers...

At least Suzuki really impressed and Romanov Caufield maintained the hype. Other than that its been meh for the big prospects

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
He's a 'slow learner'.

But he learned at each levels.

Still see him as one of our top prospects, potential-wise.

He just needs time to settle how to get there.

Reactions: 26Mats

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
man, whereas 2018-19 was a great season for our prospects, 2019-20 was just horrible for many of them

At least Suzuki really impressed and Romanov Caufield maintained the hype. Other than that its been meh for the big prospects

Growing pains.

It's a process, it always was a process.

I hope the organization take their time with them, we've screwed so many prospects in the last 3 decades, for once I hope Habs do it right, especially since we have someone who, finally, can teach them in the AHL.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Like Juulsen, many have given up on Brook.

Like you say, I look forward to seeing how he progresses with more seasoning. He has all the physical tools, including being a great skater. Time will tell whether he has the hockey sense - whether he can think the game quickly at the pro level, as Timmins likes to say.

Some give up to early and expected Brook to come in like Subban. He's not that type. Agreed. He has all the tools but he needs to put it all together and learn how to be reliable in his own end at the pro level. This takes time.

Habs fans have seen a lot of bust from 08-15 so it's going to take a while for them to forget those years.

Reactions: 26Mats

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

I remember McDonagh allegedly falling in management's eyes, which is a big reason Gainey was willing to include him in the Gonez trade.

So let's see what the next 2 or 3 years bring innthe case of the players you mentioned that didn't have standout years. Plus, Mete, Juulsen, Fleury, Ikonen, and Olofson - and Drouin and Domi. All are still young.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
#Brook-PressConference(20/07/21)

“The progress been good. I think I got better throughout the season. Just keep working and trying to get better I guess. I worked on making quicker plays, quicker decisions, being stronger in my own end, being stronger in front of the net, winning more battles.”

“Well, I got to earn everything I get. I mean nothing is given to me. And I was playing bad when I got scratch and I got moved to forward. Well, I got to earn everything I get. I mean nothing is given to me. And I was playing bad when I got scratch and I got moved as a forward. I took it on myself and I got better throughout the season. I think it helped me a lot.”

“The benefits of being at the camp is to just watching and learning from these players who played quite a few years in the NHL. Just trying to soak everything from them. I'm more comfortable, I know more the guys, I'm close to the couple I played with them in Laval. That's obviously a comfort knowing guys and being able to talk to. And everyone is good here, it's been great. I guess is just to know people & stuffs and kinda getting to know the system a little bit more each year.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad