Prospect Info: Josh Brook II

Status
Not open for further replies.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
It would make sense if you stopped being so outraged and tried to understand a bit.

I call out development only when it doesnt fit my philosophy.

Players need to play the most they can and be allowed to learn and grow, if they follow that, theyll pan out. When I "cry foul" its not because players played too much, never is.
I don’t think anyone here is outraged bro, we disagree on some things and agree on others. It’s completely normal. I think you’re a great poster here and like the fact you at least make your opinions public before the outcome is determined. I respect that and told you this before.

I don’t think ice time is the only determining factor though. For the truly elite kids you’re probably right, but for others I don’t think the sink or swim approach is the right way to go. Just a little bit of light-hearted fun. Don’t take it personally.

I love getting insight and views from you in the fitness/nutrition thread and hearing your views here and in other threads, but when I see something that I think is off base I say so. It’s not fair to say KK is rushed and then 5 games later say he should be Center omg the number 1 line.

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
It would make sense if you stopped being so outraged and tried to understand a bit.

I call out development only when it doesnt fit my philosophy.

Players need to play the most they can and be allowed to learn and grow, if they follow that, theyll pan out. When I "cry foul" its not because players played too much, never is.

Just curious if you ever see the benefit of players practicing more and reducing the game play/practice ratio? Does this also mean you prefer players to be in leagues where they play more games like the CHL as opposed to college etc..?

Personally I see benefits to both approaches at different times in development.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Just curious if you ever see the benefit of players practicing more and reducing the game play/practice ratio? Does this also mean you prefer players to be in leagues where they play more games like the CHL as opposed to college etc..?

Personally I see benefits to both approaches at different times in development.

More total time on ice = more success.

I dont think theres any other way around it.

The only advantage I see to playing less is better physical preparation, but Im unsure if you can actually trust 18 years old with more time.

With that said, I think physical preparation can be handled in the offseason, unless its some ultimate case like KK, who wouldve benefited from more offseason.

In KKs case its pretty simple, he needed to be in Finland for less travel, more time off and more familiarity with his environment.

Instead? He got all the opposite.
Not enough time on ice thtough games, practice and offseason.
He had to take a lot of time off from the ice to be able to try and prepare himself physically.

We know how that ended.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I don’t think anyone here is outraged bro, we disagree on some things and agree on others. It’s completely normal. I think you’re a great poster here and like the fact you at least make your opinions public before the outcome is determined. I respect that and told you this before.

I don’t think ice time is the only determining factor though. For the truly elite kids you’re probably right, but for others I don’t think the sink or swim approach is the right way to go. Just a little bit of light-hearted fun. Don’t take it personally.

I love getting insight and views from you in the fitness/nutrition thread and hearing your views here and in other threads, but when I see something that I think is off base I say so. It’s not fair to say KK is rushed and then 5 games later say he should be Center omg the number 1 line.

I do believe KK was rushed to the NHL because of the situation I just highlighted above. That doesnt mean the course of action was to play him 12 minutes a night for 100 games though.

If youre going to rush him and have him just survive as a 4th line center, youre better off plugging him in the top 6 and letting him grow his game in a quality environment (more ice, better linemates)

Reactions: DAChampion

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
I do believe KK was rushed to the NHL because of the situation I just highlighted above. That doesnt mean the course of action was to play him 12 minutes a night for 100 games though.

If youre going to rush him and have him just survive as a 4th line center, youre better off plugging him in the top 6 and letting him grow his game in a quality environment (more ice, better linemates)
I don’t entirely disagree, but I think having him drown on the top line when he doesn’t belong in the league is more detrimental than playing 12 mins a night against weak competition in a sheltered role.

There are better ways to increase his ice time without throwing him into tough matchups imo. He should have been given some more pp time to hopefully get his confidence going and slowly work him up the lineup etc.

Im not a big CJ fan. The only thing positive I can say about him is at least he’s not Michel Therrien lol.

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
More total time on ice = more success.

I dont think theres any other way around it.

The only advantage I see to playing less is better physical preparation, but Im unsure if you can actually trust 18 years old with more time.

With that said, I think physical preparation can be handled in the offseason, unless its some ultimate case like KK, who wouldve benefited from more offseason.

In KKs case its pretty simple, he needed to be in Finland for less travel, more time off and more familiarity with his environment.

Instead? He got all the opposite.
Not enough time on ice thtough games, practice and offseason.
He had to take a lot of time off from the ice to be able to try and prepare himself physically.

We know how that ended.

It ended?

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
He's showing more and more confidence in the last few weeks. It's his first full year since turning pro and people already want to label him a bust is beyond ridiculous. It may take him another 2 years before he breaks into the NHL and that's fine. He'll become a fine defenceman one day.

I hope Romanov doesn't take 2 years in AHL before he breaks into NHL

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
The last 4 games that I watched it seems Brook is always on the ice and looks real good playing in all situations.

Finally seeing the hype.

Reactions: jaffy27

TesseractPrice

Aug 1, 2019
Russia's economy isn't doing great. I don't know if they can throw that kind of money around honestly. I'm not particularly scared about their buying power with Romanov

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
WJC don't really have much impact. McDonagh had a terrible WJC while Poehlin had a great tourny
You speaking as though Poehling’s hockey career is over lol

Poehling was also 20 when he won that award while Romanov won that best D award at 18, went back a second year and dominated again.

if you watched that tournament, you know damn we’ll he's going to be an NHLer, how good remains to be seen.

I’ll leave it at that.

Reactions: Goldenhands

MarkyMarkov

Jan 31, 2010
The last 4 games that I watched it seems Brook is always on the ice and looks real good playing in all situations.

Finally seeing the hype.

Things have been pretty doom and gloom for our prospects this year, but hopefully these are just the natural growing pains when turning pro for guys like Brook, Poehling and Kotkaniemi.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I've brought this up a few times lately in the Laval gdt's, but man is Brook looking much better since moving to the top pairing. While the points haven't been there, the D is much improved, though he still makes mistakes here and there.

I know many hate the stat but this does reflect things a bit,

first 19 games -7
next 40 games +3

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

Finally seeing the hype.

Let's leave him in the AHL until he looks that way for an entire season down there.

Reactions: Tyson

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Im.still high on him. Sometimes defenders take time but his skating and puck skills are there and he seems to get more comfortable and better all the time.

Give him a second season in Laval and by 2021-22, he will be ready imo

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
upload_2020-6-8_12-32-49.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad