Prospect Info: Josh Brook II

Status
Not open for further replies.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
I used to think that Habs had depth at RD position. Suddenly, we have an older and older Weber, a tradable Petry and what else ? Fleury needs more seasoning at AHL level. Juulsen will possibly have to retire. Brooks is nothing special...

Who knows what happens with Fleury, Juulsen and Brook. One good thing is I think all of Romanov, Struble and Norlinder can play right if i"m not mistaken?

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
So a beat writer realizes that he has no defensive IQ and announces to the world that he has no defensive IQ and thinks that pro scouts, if they already haven’t picked up on his deficiencies, will certainly pick up on this article, wouldn’t realize that he lacks IQ, like teams will want to trade for a player they haven’t seen play???? He’s trying to keep this a secret suggesting to Bergevin that he’d better hurry up or else all while spilling the beans.....:facepalm:

This member of the press must still where Vuarnet France shirts, rent VHS movies from Blockbuster and listen to his Walkman.

This is 2020 Matthias, whatever you know, the scouts know
Matthias Brunet is a complete dumbass and if I ever see his lil stubby ass in real life ill kick him in the nuts.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
The hype that we're seeing over Romanov this year is comparably to that for Brook last year.

well it's to be expected on both, as Brook had one of the better age 19 seasons for a blueliner i've seen in the WHL and Romanov has looked great at the WJC's 2 years in a row.

The problem is that you don't know how a 19, 20, 21 year old is going to develop, if they will continue to progress or not. Some kids just peak early on. With Brook you can see he lacks strength and the IQ isn't great as he clearly is having defensive issues and his confidence seems shaky. That said in 2 years Brook could be crushing it for all we know or still be in the AHL. Romanov is different as we see him play vs men all the time in a much tougher league then Brook was in at the same age. While Brook lacks strength, Romanov looks to have great lower body strength which to me is very important. But the question is his offensive upside whereas we know Brook can move the puck.

Take a look at the caps 1st rounder Alexeyev, he's putting up about the same production as Brook in his rookie year in the AHL as well yet at the time of the draft he was hyped a ton. We'll see what happens to these guys, if defensemen struggle at the AHL at 20 I'm not too worried, but next year you need to see marked improvement or then you start getting worried. It makes what Mete and Sergachev were/are doing in the NHL at 19, 20, 21 that much more impressive as you just don't see a lot of U-20 blueliners in the NHL.

No way. Come on now. Think about what you just said. Romanov is the best defenseman prospect IN THE WORLD.

I wouldn't say that he's the best D prospect in the world. If the avs offered Byram for Romanov I would take it and run.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
well it's to be expected on both, as Brook had one of the better age 19 seasons for a blueliner i've seen in the WHL and Romanov has looked great at the WJC's 2 years in a row.

The problem is that you don't know how a 19, 20, 21 year old is going to develop, if they will continue to progress or not. Some kids just peak early on. With Brook you can see he lacks strength and the IQ isn't great as he clearly is having defensive issues and his confidence seems shaky. That said in 2 years Brook could be crushing it for all we know or still be in the AHL. Romanov is different as we see him play vs men all the time in a much tougher league then Brook was in at the same age. While Brook lacks strength, Romanov looks to have great lower body strength which to me is very important. But the question is his offensive upside whereas we know Brook can move the puck.

Take a look at the caps 1st rounder Alexeyev, he's putting up about the same production as Brook in his rookie year in the AHL as well yet at the time of the draft he was hyped a ton. We'll see what happens to these guys, if defensemen struggle at the AHL at 20 I'm not too worried, but next year you need to see marked improvement or then you start getting worried. It makes what Mete and Sergachev were/are doing in the NHL at 19, 20, 21 that much more impressive as you just don't see a lot of U-20 blueliners in the NHL.

I wouldn't say that he's the best D prospect in the world. If the avs offered Byram for Romanov I would take it and run.

First, thank you for a great post.

Second, to be fair I'm not actually worried about Brook at this time. I'm actually critiquing the short memory of forum posters. The same exagerrated responses keep happening over and over again, for example with Kotkaniemi.

Brook is in his first pro season and plays a difficult position. It's fine. I'll personally only be worried of he's at about this level a year from now.

But forum posters like to complain.

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center

No way José! I would never trade Romanov for Byram. In my book and in many people’s book Romanov is #1. And he’s NHL ready at 20, Byram is only 18 and is an uncertainty, playing in the WHL on top of it.. I’m not too high on the WHL.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
First, thank you for a great post.

Second, to be fair I'm not actually worried about Brook at this time. I'm actually critiquing the short memory of forum posters. The same exagerrated responses keep happening over and over again, for example with Kotkaniemi.

Brook is in his first pro season and plays a difficult position. It's fine. I'll personally only be worried of he's at about this level a year from now.

But forum posters like to complain.

Not many were higher on Brook then me but even I'm worried that he's no where near where I thought he would be. I'm not worried that he'll be an NHLer in time but I had hoped he could be a top pairing D and now we have to hope he maybe turns into a top 4 D. That said getting a top 4 late in the 2nd round would be a nice win for sure even if it takes several years.

Right now he's just not playing his game at all, some flashes of it here and there so I'd say it's a major confidence and strength issue. But agreed that a year from now if no progress then that's very troubling.

No way José! I would never trade Romanov for Byram. In my book and in many people’s book Romanov is #1. And he’s NHL ready at 20, Byram is only 18 and is an uncertainty, playing in the WHL on top of it.. I’m not too high on the WHL.

I don't know how anyone could know what his upside really is since he's spent the last 2 years in the KHL playing mostly 12 mins a night. It's very hard to get a good read off of that. Not saying he will or won't as it's easy to just say one way or the other but to be based off watching him outside the WJC's there's not a ton to go off.

I don't know if his offensive upside is high enough to be a top pairing D at least on a contender, but we'll see. Byram certainly has 1st pairing upside but I don't know many scouts that aren't big on the WHL as it's one of the best junior leagues in the world.

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
Not many were higher on Brook then me but even I'm worried that he's no where near where I thought he would be. I'm not worried that he'll be an NHLer in time but I had hoped he could be a top pairing D and now we have to hope he maybe turns into a top 4 D. That said getting a top 4 late in the 2nd round would be a nice win for sure even if it takes several years.

Right now he's just not playing his game at all, some flashes of it here and there so I'd say it's a major confidence and strength issue. But agreed that a year from now if no progress then that's very troubling.

I don't know how anyone could know what his upside really is since he's spent the last 2 years in the KHL playing mostly 12 mins a night. It's very hard to get a good read off of that. Not saying he will or won't as it's easy to just say one way or the other but to be based off watching him outside the WJC's there's not a ton to go off.

I don't know if his offensive upside is high enough to be a top pairing D at least on a contender, but we'll see. Byram certainly has 1st pairing upside but I don't know many scouts that aren't big on the WHL as it's one of the best junior leagues in the world.
WJC is enough proof for me, he absolutely dominated, the smaller ice fits him so well, he’s so incredibly smart defensively. And he was able to produce impressively on the offensive side. He’s an untouchable for me. If Romanov had gone through the CHL he would have been a very high draft pick.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
WJC is enough proof for me, he absolutely dominated, the smaller ice fits him so well, he’s so incredibly smart defensively. And he was able to produce impressively on the offensive side. He’s an untouchable for me. If Romanov had gone through the CHL he would have been a very high draft pick.

the WJC's can be overrated, just look at poolparty at 17 he's the MVP. Collberg over a ppg at 17. Poehling was the MVP last year and can't get more then 1 pt this year in the NHL.

Reactions: larrypacman8167

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
the WJC's can be overrated, just look at poolparty at 17 he's the MVP. Collberg over a ppg at 17. Poehling was the MVP last year and can't get more then 1 pt this year in the NHL.
Nothing is certain with prospects. But I’m willing to take my chances with Romanov, he’s a tank and we desperately need the physicality. He’s a sexy Russian that this city seems to be made for, talented Russians thrive here.

Byram’s numbers are regressing this season... what do you think about that?

Last edited:

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Nothing is certain with prospects. But I’m willing to take my chances with Romanov, he’s a tank and we desperately need the physicality. He’s a sexy Russian that this city seems to be made for, talented Russians thrive here.

Byram’s numbers are regressing this season... what do you think about that?

I haven't seen him this year.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Yes he most certainly is.
Maybe in Habs land..
There are many good defensive prospects out there that can be put ahead such as Byram, Bouchard, Boqvist, Broberg, Seider, Sandin, etc.
In any event, Romanov should make the team and anything under a top 4D would be pretty disappointing.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Maybe in Habs land..
There are many good defensive prospects out there that can be put ahead such as Byram, Bouchard, Boqvist, Broberg, Seider, Sandin, etc.
In any event, Romanov should make the team and anything under a top 4D would be pretty disappointing.

Do you base this on viewings of them or what you've read/draft position ? Not that I think Romanov is the best D prospect, he's not imo. But it just looks like you're listing names here. I've watched all of them for what's it's worth, and there's definitely a few there where I wouldn't put clearly above Romanov, if at all.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Do you base this on viewings of them or what you've read/draft position ? Not that I think Romanov is the best D prospect, he's not imo. But it just looks like you're listing names here. I've watched all of them for what's it's worth, and there's definitely a few there where I wouldn't put clearly above Romanov, if at all.
Not viewings, just from readings. I wasn't saying all those guys are ahead of Romanov, just saying, he's not unanimously the #1D prospect out there as was suggested by the poster I quoted.

Reactions: Andrei79

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
Maybe in Habs land..
Broberg? Seider? Boqvist? No way.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Not viewings, just from readings. I wasn't saying all those guys are ahead of Romanov, just saying, he's not unanimously the #1D prospect out there as was suggested by the poster I quoted.

Agreed.

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
Defensively none of those guys are even close. And he’s a defenseman after all. None of those guys have played against men either.

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
I would easily trade Romanov for Boqvist. Would love to have both but Boqvist is on another level for me.
7 points in 29 games -9

That’s another level ?...

And he’s a Right side D instead of Left...

And Romanov is a physical beast that we desperately need...

That would be a horrible trade.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Defensively none of those guys are even close. And he’s a defenseman after all. None of those guys have played against men either.
Well, again, that's your opinion. We are not talking like a Lafreniere who is unanimously the top prospect to pick in 2020.
There plenty of folks who put other Dmen ahead of Romanov.

Reactions: Estimated_Prophet
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad