Prospect Info: Josh Brook II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Hell no , HELL never be that strong.

But in the mean time we can have some patience with the KID. He's not a strong. But lets see when he develops some man strength. THEN along with his skill HE'LL be where we can truly evaluate him.

What's that got to do with the super skilled Hughes?
Brook is super skilled, thats whats up. Obviously hes not Hughes skilled but he does compensate in other areas like size, shot and some physicality.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Where are we nowadays with this surefire top 4 D that was Josh Brook? Still thinking this is where he's headed? Are we about to think that we screwed up with his development too 'cause he played 2 games as a forward?

Still think he could pull it off....at least bottom 2...but he was part not that long ago of another surefire NHL'er. Just the reason why we should just hold our evaluations a little before we see them in the pro in this side of the planet before we already determine how GREAT our drafting is....

Reactions: Frank Drebin

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Where are we nowadays with this surefire top 4 D that was Josh Brook? Still thinking this is where he's headed? Are we about to think that we screwed up with his development too 'cause he played 2 games as a forward?

Still think he could pull it off....at least bottom 2...but he was part not that long ago of another surefire NHL'er. Just the reason why we should just hold our evaluations a little before we see them in the pro in this side of the planet before we already determine how GREAT our drafting is....

Let's see where he's at next year, he's been a good bit better since the start of the year and he's now producing around what Fleury did last year but he's got to get stronger and gain confidence.

As for his development, he could be the first of our top prospects that wasn't rushed to the NHL. So if that's the case and he busts then it's on him and the scouts. But I would bet a lot that he ends up an NHL regular down the road. Maybe MB could actually learn something from this and maybe stop rushing kids to the NHL that aren't ready. I know it's a crazy idea.

Reactions: Andrei79

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Let's see where he's at next year, he's been a good bit better since the start of the year and he's now producing around what Fleury did last year but he's got to get stronger and gain confidence.

As for his development, he could be the first of our top prospects that wasn't rushed to the NHL. So if that's the case and he busts then it's on him and the scouts. But I would bet a lot that he ends up an NHL regular down the road. Maybe MB could actually learn something from this and maybe stop rushing kids to the NHL that aren't ready. I know it's a crazy idea.

Based on his growth path from age 15+, I see him as a slow learner. I think he will be a Petry type and a late bloomer

Reactions: jaffy27

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003

He is still easily pushed around I find and IQ wise, not always the brightest of decisions. Seems it will take a longer time than anticipated.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
Only if we are not patient with him I guess.

It's not always a question of patience. For Petry, he was traded at 27 years old. At one point, you either as a player want to see somewhere else if you would have had a chance to restart. And as a team, you want to make room for younger guys.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
It's not always a question of patience. For Petry, he was traded at 27 years old. At one point, you either as a player want to see somewhere else if you would have had a chance to restart. And as a team, you want to make room for younger guys.

True and term of contract also plays a factor. I guess my point was his prime is likely 25-30 and we won't know how good he is until 22 or 23. Petry comparison is the extreme case.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
Lets not kid anyone. If Petry was traded it would set the team back. We'd be looking for a D just like him.

BUT at his age and contract status AND us not close to being a contender I think the writing is on the wall.

If MB wants to keep one toe in the water for rebuild and one toe for being competitive then we keep Petry. (And probably stay mediocre for more years)

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Was quite awful yesterday, he looks clueless deep in his own zone, its coming too fast on him, doesnt seem to know how to react properly and he also got beat cleanly 1 on 1 a couple of times, kid is showing basically no progression at all this season, his confidence is probably at an all time low, its starting to look worrysome to me...

Reactions: Andrei79

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Was quite awful yesterday, he looks clueless deep in his own zone, its coming too fast on him, doesnt seem to know how to react properly and he also got beat cleanly 1 on 1 a couple of times, kid is showing basically no progression at all this season, his confidence is probably at an all time low, its starting to look worrysome to me...

I was worried everytime he was on the ice. It does look worrisome, but it wouldn't be the first time I see someone struggle quite a bit his first pro year. Itll be more worrying if he keeps it up next year.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
Matthias brunet wrote today that bergevin should consider trading him asap - before other gms realize has no defensive IQ

Reactions: 26Mats

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Matthias brunet wrote today that bergevin should consider trading him asap - before other gms realize has no defensive IQ

all teams have scouts watching the AHL so they will know this by now, the question is can he improve enough that his offensive game is enough when paired with a more defensive minded partner.

Jul 6, 2016
I used to think that Habs had depth at RD position. Suddenly, we have an older and older Weber, a tradable Petry and what else ? Fleury needs more seasoning at AHL level. Juulsen will possibly have to retire. Brooks is nothing special...

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
I would have swap him with Lias Anderson when he quit the Rags org., but I think at this point, scouts are aware of Brook's tenure, his IQ is no doubt in question here...

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Could be a decent nhler, if I was betting, I wouldn’t put any money on it. Skillful, seems a bit brain dead at times imo he will struggle to be an nhler

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Brook has always been a loose cannon. He was like that in juniors too. The thing is, when hes on his game and playing the right way, he tilts the ice so hard that these mistakes don't happen. Hes a lot like Petry, as Ive stated time and time again.

Saying he has no defensive IQ is a bit of a stretch, hes learning and in his first pro season.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Brook has always been a loose cannon. He was like that in juniors too. The thing is, when hes on his game and playing the right way, he tilts the ice so hard that these mistakes don't happen. Hes a lot like Petry, as Ive stated time and time again.

Saying he has no defensive IQ is a bit of a stretch, hes learning and in his first pro season.

After reading the first part of your post, the first name that came to mind was Petry. Then sure enough you compared him to Petry.

It also makes me think, we really need to find a dman that can read the play well on breakouts, make quick decisions, and quick tape to tape passes, regardless of their defensive ability. But I went to see the game front row against Jersey on Tuesday. Thinking the game near perfectly in a split second at such high speeds with constant bouncing pucks is actually a really difficult thing to do.

Reactions: jaffy27

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
So a beat writer realizes that he has no defensive IQ and announces to the world that he has no defensive IQ and thinks that pro scouts, if they already haven’t picked up on his deficiencies, will certainly pick up on this article, wouldn’t realize that he lacks IQ, like teams will want to trade for a player they haven’t seen play???? He’s trying to keep this a secret suggesting to Bergevin that he’d better hurry up or else all while spilling the beans.....:facepalm:

This member of the press must still where Vuarnet France shirts, rent VHS movies from Blockbuster and listen to his Walkman.

This is 2020 Matthias, whatever you know, the scouts know

Last edited:

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
I used to think that Habs had depth at RD position. Suddenly, we have an older and older Weber, a tradable Petry and what else ? Fleury needs more seasoning at AHL level. Juulsen will possibly have to retire. Brooks is nothing special...
Kudos to a certain poster who predicted this. Also, I don't know what's the hoopla with Fleury. He may become a decent NHLer, but almost certainly a bottom 3 kind of defenceman, IMO. Just like Mete.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad