Waived: Jordin Tootoo

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
as ufa pool is looking so weak i' look for trade market. get some rh defenseman. babcock mentione in one team canada interviews how important it is to have rh-lh defenseman. marchenko and co may or may not be ready. no doubt he wants that with wings. do your job kenny or retire.

So far it looks like Derek Morris is the best RH UFA defenceman at next summer. And I think he is gonna got his payday, Coyotes have a kid logjam to make room for Rundblad, Stone etc. Going with cheaper kids also gives a fit for their internal budget. They would still have OEL-Michalek, Yandle-Stone, Klesla-Rundblad, Schlemko-Summers there without Morris.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
So far it looks like Derek Morris is the best RH UFA defenceman at next summer. And I think he is gonna got his payday, Coyotes have a kid logjam to make room for Rundblad, Stone etc. Going with cheaper kids also gives a fit for their internal budget.

anton strålman is another option. maybe girardi though i'm not really that high on him with the price tag what he would come. and i think rangers won't let strålman go either. if they are out of it by trade deadline (doubt that too) and strålman is available, i' go after him.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Vanek is 29 and fits better in the team. Net-front ability, R handness, younger, bigger (6'2 vs. 6'1 Gaborik).

I really don't want that injury mess Gaborik to be our headache.

I'd like to see this PP:

Vanek - Datsyuk - Zetterberg
Kronwall - Markov

There's only one problem in Vanek. He has Minnesota-wife just like Parise and Suter.

vanek is more injury prone than gabby has been the last # of seasons

gabby has a much higher ceiling then vanek

i think vanek goes elsewhere and wouldnt choose detroit

crashman

Sorry, that's a lie. That HSJ proclaimed offer has never been confirmed. Cleary had a PTO from the Flyers. The contract "agreement" was a ruse. Obligated for him to play?
He played himself off the team last year.

I agree that it was total BS, but all the reports said that he "took a discount" to stay here. I believe Cleary might have even said that himself, I know he said he had "better offers", but I don't feel like looking up the quote right now. I think the whole Flyers contract offer was 100% made up by someone in Cleary's camp or Cleary himself as a bargaining maneuver with Detroit.

I think that Babcock feels obligated to play him (or maybe he's too proud to admit he f-ed up) because he wanted Cleary back.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
fwiw, read on habs board that reporter from RDS has said that markov will go for the money. whether it's from nhl or khl. seems like he has also dropped meehan from being his agent.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
anton strålman is another option. maybe girardi though i'm not really that high on him with the price tag what he would come. and i think rangers won't let strålman go either. if they are out of it by trade deadline (doubt that too) and strålman is available, i' go after him.

I just named Morris, because I think he'll 99% sure hit for free agency. Don't know would I want him. Maybe not.

Girardi will be extended by Rangers, would be a parfect piece, but I don't waste my time dreaming about him.

Don't know about Strålman. I think the term would be a problem with him and our propect D situation. They won't match. Wings will want short-term guy (to make room pretty soon for own kids), so vets like Markov with lucrative +35-aged bonus offers are those Holland is going to hunt.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
I just named Morris, because I think he'll 99% sure hit for free agency. Don't know would I want him. Maybe not.

Girardi will be extended by Rangers, would be a parfect piece, but I don't waste my time dreaming about him.

Don't know about Strålman. I think the term would be a problem with him and our propect D situation. They won't match. Wings will want short-term guy (to make room pretty soon for own kids), so vets like Markov with lucrative +35-aged bonus offers are those Holland is going to hunt.

sami salo...

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
vanek is more injury prone than gabby has been the last # of seasons

Last 4 seasons:

Games:
Vanek 213
Gaborik 206

gabby has a much higher ceiling then vanek

Last 4 seasons:

Scoring:
Vanek, 83 goals, 104 assists = 187 points, 627 shots
Gaborik, 80 goals, 81 assists = 161 points, 652 shots

Same kind of production, but slightly better from Vanek. Totally different type of players and Vanek is the better fit for Wings.

We will add speed on this team from the youth system for next season (Ferraro, Nyquist) so there isn't that big need to add speed with Gaborik. But we also need net-front ability from outside our system, because we don't have that kind of home-grown talent to import in. Then Vanek fits in the need and adds a right handness, which we probably lose again in Alfie.

That net-front ability has been our bread and butter since the Ciccarelli days, and I guarantee, that our management does not ignore that thing, if there's one of the best hand-eye/screener guy available. And Vanek is also more than than that as a hockeyplayer, not just a one-trick pony like Homer was.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Last 4 seasons:

Games:
Vanek 213
Gaborik 206

Last 4 seasons:

Scoring:
Vanek, 83 goals, 104 assists = 187 points, 627 shots
Gaborik, 80 goals, 81 assists = 161 points, 652 shots

Same kind of production, but slightly better from Vanek. Totally different type of players and Vanek is the better fit for Wings.

We will add speed on this team from the youth system for next season (Ferraro, Nyquist) so there isn't that big need to add speed with Gaborik. But we also need net-front ability from outside our system, because we don't have that kind of home-grown talent to import in. Then Vanek fits in the need and adds a right handness, which we probably lose again in Alfie.

That net-front ability has been our bread and butter since the Ciccarelli days, and I guarantee, that our management does not ignore that thing, if there's one of the best hand-eye/screener guy available. And Vanek is also more than than that as a hockeyplayer, not just a one-trick pony like Homer was.

last four season(09-10, 10-11, 11-12, 12-13)

gabby
267 games played
117 goals
237 pts

vanek
267 games played
106 goals
228 pts

yes same games played(i was wrong) difference of 11pts(in gabbys favour) all of them being goals(11 goal differential in gabbys favour)

i see vanek being younger signing for longer term(no less then 7 years, 8 if the Isles are smart) and no less then 7.5 million a season

i would love either one but too me I think their is a greater chance gabby if either signs with detroit as he will likely sign for less dollas and less term and not be influenced to sign in minnesota(wife, best friend, college state)

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Jordin Tootoo, waiting to see if he clears waivers at noon: "I just want to thank the organization for giving me the opportunity to play.''

Tootoo (cont.): "I just want to have an opportunity to be in the lineup every night.''

Per Khan

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
On the Gaborik/Vanek front, I'm not sure they're looking at similar contracts. My bet is that Vanek will be looking for big money & term while Gaborik will probably be on something shorter. If the money is the same, it might be better to go with the guy with a shorter commitment.

sami salo...

I've been quietly hoping for Boyle to hit the open market. I think he'd be great on our second pairing with Smith or Kindl.

I know there's going to be a strong contingent for bringing up Xo or Sproul or Marchenko next year, but I'm betting all of the D begin the year in GR unless there's a trade before then that moves Smith or Kindl.

Chance on Chance

Jul 15, 2009
Canada
i don't mind it if they get some upgrade there. don't see wings contending with that d.

We have the good problem of too many good defensive prospects. Xo, jensen and marchenko will be up next year or 15-16 season . I guess it depends on how Smith does the rest of this year and next

BF3

Boom Roasted.
Dec 30, 2011
Cbus
Odds of trade happening today?

How much of his salary are we going to have to take on before someone will give us a conditional 7th for him?

And finally, which teams are the most likely suitors based on these conditions?

I've heard Florida and Nashville as potentials.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Odds of trade happening today?

How much of his salary are we going to have to take on before someone will give us a conditional 7th for him?

And finally, which teams are the most likely suitors based on these conditions?

I've heard Florida and Nashville as potentials.

Maybe half of the cap-penalty, taking more would not make any sense, because the cap penalty does same thing than the salary retainment.

I don't think Tootoo is enough attractive than for 1.5 million if he isn't attractive for 1.9 million. For 1.0 million some team could be interested, but then the salary retainment value is a big as the cap-penalty from waivers. So why bother for a trade? We can keep him as an incurance if we need him at some point of this season, or at next season.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
We have the good problem of too many good defensive prospects. Xo, jensen and marchenko will be up next year or 15-16 season . I guess it depends on how Smith does the rest of this year and next

it's a good problem to have, yeah.

but they aren't going to help win the cup this year or next. that's the issue. an i' not sure if dats and z have enough left in the tank after that.

On the Gaborik/Vanek front, I'm not sure they're looking at similar contracts. My bet is that Vanek will be looking for big money & term while Gaborik will probably be on something shorter. If the money is the same, it might be better to go with the guy with a shorter commitment.

i agree.

I've been quietly hoping for Boyle to hit the open market. I think he'd be great on our second pairing with Smith or Kindl.

I know there's going to be a strong contingent for bringing up Xo or Sproul or Marchenko next year, but I'm betting all of the D begin the year in GR unless there's a trade before then that moves Smith or Kindl.

would love boyle.

i think sproul needs at least two years in the minors. teach him what we in't teach smith/are now teaching at nhl.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad