Confirmed with Link: Jordan Weal [June 29: signed 2-year contract, $1.75m each year per media]

Evergreen

Ideally I want to see Weal with Giroux and Simmonds on the top line. I think he can sort of reenergize Giroux am down finally give Giroux a good LW option. Simmonds can be the net front presence required on that line.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I think Lindblom has a better chance of re-energizing Giroux's offensive game. Weal played some with Giroux last season and I don't remember thinking "Well isn't THIS a revelation!"

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Weal and Giroux are basically the same player, undersized forwards without great speed (though good quickness and agility) who are playmakers who need the puck on their stick. (Giroux at 25 was heads and shoulders above Weal, at 30, not so much). I'd split them up.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Weal went to the net more in 20 games than Giroux has in the past 2 seasons. They could mix, so long as maybe Jake was on that RW. I'd prefer Weal was with Coots/Patrick though.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
Weal went to the net more in 20 games than Giroux has in the past 2 seasons. They could mix, so long as maybe Jake was on that RW. I'd prefer Weal was with Coots/Patrick though.

Agreed.

Btw, do we have any theories as to why Giroux stopped going to the net the last two years? Is it a speed thing, like he can't get through defenders anymore because he's lost some quickness? Is it a mental thing? Is it something else?

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Agreed.

Btw, do we have any theories as to why Giroux stopped going to the net the last two years? Is it a speed thing, like he can't get through defenders anymore because he's lost some quickness? Is it a mental thing? Is it something else?

Hakstol neutering his Centers so they can compensate for the lousy defensemen on the team has been a factor.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

If I was defending Weal - G - V, I'd try to stand them up at the blue line and dare them to dump it in and chase. And my goalie would never be screened.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
Coots,Filp,Belle all went to the net. G is the only one not too. That better change or he'll screw up another yr.

bauer

I MISS GHOST
Nov 11, 2007
i would try Weal with Couts and Simmonds first. and try Lindblom with G and Voracek.

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
giphy.gif

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
I would mind seeing:

Lindblom - Giroux - Voracek
Flip - Couts - Simmonds
Weal - Patrick - Konecny

or

Weal - Giroux - Voracek
Flip - Couts - Simmonds
Lindblom - Patrick - Konecny

All I want is for Patrick to have good linemates. Lindblom, assuming he isn't put on the 4th line is guaranteed good linemates.

bauer

I MISS GHOST
Nov 11, 2007
I would mind seeing:

Lindblom - Giroux - Voracek
Flip - Couts - Simmonds
Weal - Patrick - Konecny

or

Weal - Giroux - Voracek
Flip - Couts - Simmonds
Lindblom - Patrick - Konecny

All I want is for Patrick to have good linemates. Lindblom, assuming he isn't put on the 4th line is guaranteed good linemates.

one thing i think we can all agree on, is that our top 9 should be set. whatever the arrangement, that is our top 9. those are our 9 best players.

i will be livid if Hak starts putting Raffl, Read, Weise or (shiver) Lehtera in our top 9. :facepalm:

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
one thing i think we can all agree on, is that our top 9 should be set. whatever the arrangement, that is our top 9. those are our 9 best players.

i will be livid if Hak starts putting Raffl, Read, Weise or (shiver) Lehtera in our top 9. :facepalm:

I don't doubt that he will find an excuse to do just that.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Wrong. What a coach should always look for is the right fit for each line. You could put two solid wingers with Schenn at center and it would still be klunky.

Weise worked with Couts last year, if you put them together in TC and it clicks, you don't go "gee, Weise isn't one of my nine theoretically best forwards." You go, ok, these two seem to fit together well, who do I want to put with them and see if they work together as a trio.

If Flippula isn't comfortable at LW, you don't force him to play there just to get Patrick 1 minute a game at center for the first half of the season (you do look to trade Flippula near the trade deadline, however).

This is why they have training camp, to see how new players mesh with returning veterans and try to find the best combinations, both forward lines and defensive pairs. You're talking real players - not video game players - and real people perform better when they're comfortable. So a coach has to try and find the right combinations (and break them up when a line or the team gets into a rut).

Now odds are the better players will work together, IF they have complementary skills, but sometimes lesser talents are a better fit because they may not have the whole skill package, but they have a couple skills that make their linemates better.

Plus, you have to account for road games, where opposing coaches can counter your best lines, do you want different lines on the road that will present harder matchups?

The good thing is the Flyers have the kind of talent where Hakstol can try some different combinations, big lines, speed lines, skill lines and a checking line that can actually play.

PS: During actual games, your lines inevitably get muddled, if Couts and Simmonds are coming off a 4 minute PK where they played the bulk of the minutes, you'll want them to skip a shift, if you've been on the PP, the second PP unit has to be able to revert to ES play, and so on.

bauer

I MISS GHOST
Nov 11, 2007
you put your best forwards where they are in a position to succeed the most. if you're putting Konecny, Lindblom or Patrick on the 4th line then there's a problem. obviously there will be mixing and matching going on, but you do that with your best players. we know for example who our top 3 RW are (Voracek, Simmonds, Konecny) it's just a question of which centers they mesh with the best.

we know our top LW will likely be Lindblom, Filppula and Weal. Filppula can play LW. he did that a lot in TB and also in DET. he's very versatile. it would be dumb to play him at the 4C position when we already have Laughton and Lehtera as possibilities there.

Weal? not after the finish he had. he's got too much skill to be buried there. it would be insulting to play him there especially after he just resigned here. who's left? Lindblom? can't see him buried on the 4th line.

i don't see anyone in that top 9 getting pushed out. of course injuries will happen, but when healthy, it should be a safe bet.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Top 9 should be:

Giroux
Voracek
Simmonds
Couturier
Konecny
Patrick
Weal
Filppula
Lindblom (if he makes the team)

If the Flyers feel like Lindblom is better suited to start off in the AHL then a top 9 spot will be up for grabs between Laughton, Raffl, Read, and Weise. Those first 8 guys are pretty locked in though barring something very unexpected.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
If Lindblom was a 25 year old wing who dominated the SHL, would anyone project him to start in the AHL? So because he did the same thing at age 20, does that make him less prepared or less of a prospect?

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
If Lindblom was a 25 year old wing who dominated the SHL, would anyone project him to start in the AHL? So because he did the same thing at age 20, does that make him less prepared or less of a prospect?

Factoring in ice size difference and his getting accustom to it enough to be comfortable with him in all NHL Game situations... I can understand the reasoning for keeping him on the Farm a while.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad