Confirmed with Link: Jordan Weal [June 29: signed 2-year contract, $1.75m each year per media]

SaveHextall

Nov 21, 2006
Westchester, NY
This is a very interesting case. What kind of deal do you think he deserves? And what will he get?

===============

June 29, 2017

The Philadelphia Flyers announced that they have re-signed forward Jordan Weal to a two-year contract, according to general manager Ron Hextall.

Weal recently completed his second season with the Flyers in 2016-17 after being acquired via trade midway through the 2015-16 season. Below are news & notes on Weal:
https://www.nhl.com/flyers/news/fly...ear-contract--philadelphia-flyers/c-290231494

Jordan Weal deal: $3.5 M total over 2 years (Source link, Pierre LeBrun: https://twitter.com/PierreVLeBrun/status/880612733472968704 )

Last edited by a moderator:

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
2 years, $1.5-2 million per

They have to pay him for the output they reasonably expect

If he registers 30 points for $2 or less than its a good contract

Last edited:

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Hard to gauge value because there aren't very many Group VI UFA's of which to base it.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
He's no dope. He knows he has to step into a situation where he can prove himself for a full season. No one will give him anything more than 2 years and if he does well the first season then he will need to replicate that at least up to the TDL in the second to get an upgraded extension.

All things being equal his best bet is to go with a team that is on the cusp who is willing to give him a shot at the 3rd line starting the season with the opportunity to move up to top 6 if those ahead of him are not producing or injured. Attrition among the incumbent expiring contracts in the top 6 will also play a factor as contracted slots that expire after this season will offer quicker upward mobility if he can take advantage of the opportunity.

Florida has 3 possible vacancies that will be available at either the beginning of this season or after the next: Jagr, Jokinen will be gone before this season or at the end and Smith could be relegated to the 3rd line during the season if he duplicates his recent performance. :)

nuclear reactor

Apr 5, 2010
Re-signing Weal may mean Lindblom starts on the Phantoms. Unless a purge happens, there just is no room.

eramosat

Dec 19, 2015
Toronto
I think Weal maybe deserves more than what the Flyers should offer him, less than what he should accept from them unless he takes a pretty low value contract. I like the 2 year 1.25 million offer made above but I think he can do better

Flyers simply do not have a lot of cap to work with. With the Ghost signing...they have 8.6 mil to work with, before any possible cap increase. They need to sign 5 more dee/forwards at minimum plus a a #1 or a #1a/1b goalie. Or just go with Stolarz?

To work my cap, I assume they sign 5 dee/forwards for close to minimum possible, 900k apiece or 4.5 mil. Leaves 4.1 for the goalie they need, any $$ they want want to use to sweeten a deal (such as Weal), or simply reserve for future use.

Other $$ they might find? Well, expansion might take a salary off of their hands, like AMac, Raffl but they would also need to be replaced. Cousins is an RFA, already assume he's a 900k signing if he sticks around. If Neuvy is taken...well, Flyers have a different problem when the entire league and all the UFAs realize Flyers probably need to sign 2 goalies. Not a position of strength to bargain from.

Cap might go up. 2% increase suggested by other smart people gives them a whopping 1.4 mil more to work with.

Anything more than 1.25 mil and Flyers should walk...he's intriguing, but Nico/Patrick and Lindblom + the rest of the logjam in the bottom 6 already under contracts make it a Flyer's market.

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
2 years and 1.5 per will probably be the requirement to sign him.

I don't want to let him go for nothing. What if it wasn't just a flash in the pan? 2-1.5 for two years is well worth the risk.

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
I dont see it that way. I think the best 11 and Bellemare make the top 12. That simple.

That is unfortunately depressing, because it's most likely true.

I'm in favor of resigning Weal for the proposed 2 year, ~$1.25 m. Especially if most of his contract can be buried in the AHL if he doesn't end up on the Flyers, at worst he's a waiver claim to another team, but at least the Flyers got first dibs.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I dont see it that way. I think the best 11 and Bellemare make the top 12. That simple.

Giroux
Voracek
Simmonds
Couturier
Schenn
Konecny
Fillpula
Raffl
Laughton
Rinaldo
Weise
Lindblom
Patrick/Hischier

There's 13 I'd bet on being better than Weal next year, if in the lineup.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Wanted to see if I could sneak that by. :laugh:

tenor.gif

pinedak

Dec 4, 2014
Flyers simply do not have a lot of cap to work with. With the Ghost signing...they have 8.6 mil to work with, before any possible cap increase. They need to sign 5 more dee/forwards at minimum plus a a #1 or a #1a/1b goalie. Or just go with Stolarz?

To work my cap, I assume they sign 5 dee/forwards for close to minimum possible, 900k apiece or 4.5 mil. Leaves 4.1 for the goalie they need, any $$ they want want to use to sweeten a deal (such as Weal), or simply reserve for future use.

Other $$ they might find? Well, expansion might take a salary off of their hands, like AMac, Raffl but they would also need to be replaced.

Anything more than 1.25 mil and Flyers should walk...he's intriguing, but Nico/Patrick and Lindblom + the rest of the logjam in the bottom 6 already under contracts make it a Flyer's market.

They already have players under contract who will fill those slots. The flyers will fill 2 D slots with 2 of Myers, Sanheim, Hagg, and Morin or 1 and a ~950K short-term vet. This leaves $7,703,333

At forward they are 3 short of the 14 they want to carry. 1 of those is likely Lindblom whom is already under contract. Leaving 2 remaining. Even if we assume philly loses a forward to expansion the replacement contract for that forward (unless they want to make a splash) will be of lesser or equal value to the one they lose so it's cap neutral. The signing cost for 2 RFA forwards won't be more than $2.5 million a piece. That leaves $2.7 million to sign a backup tender.

Worst case scenario cap wise they take Neuvirth. Leaving two goalies and three forwards needed for the roster. I think case I think they bring in Stolie as a back up and sign a split time starter like Bernier for ~3 million. That leaves $8,153,333 to sign at most 3 forwards if they want to leave Lindblom off the roster. The $2.7 million per player is more than enough to get the signings done. And even if the bring in 2 goalies You just give Lindblom a spot and use the $2.7 million on another tender. It's not as bad as it looks.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
2 years and 1.5 per will probably be the requirement to sign him.

I don't want to let him go for nothing. What if it wasn't just a flash in the pan? 2-1.5 for two years is well worth the risk.

My thoughts, as well. He's certainly worth Bellemare's contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad