Confirmed with Link: Jordan Weal [June 29: signed 2-year contract, $1.75m each year per media]

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
i was just thinking that too. unlikely, but you never know. if Weal plays with Giroux and Voracek all season and JVR regresses there could be a slim chance.

Unless Toronto makes the very reasonable and likely move of trading him to Edmonton for McJesus, Draisaitl, and three first-round picks (courtesy of: HF trade board).

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
NHL XM radio mentioned that Hakstol was at the draft and couldn't stop talking about Weal. Some thought that it was so much to the point that it put pressure on Hextall to sign him. I am neutral to this move. I am glad its for two years and not a 4 year deal like with Weise and Raffl. But be prepared to see this kid in the top 6 and getting PP time early in year. Hakstol loves him.... But he might be a better coach's pet than Vandevelde.

Good info, and I'm not surprised based on how Hakstol talked about Weal in the Zach Gelb interview earlier this week. I think he did put pressure on Hextall to re-sign Weal. And I think it's a good sign as to the direction Hakstol wants to go.

WestrnPhlyr

Go away or I shall taunt you a second time.
Jul 17, 2015
NW Inland Empire
Unless Toronto makes the very reasonable and likely move of trading him to Edmonton for McJesus, Draisaitl, and three first-round picks (courtesy of: HF trade board).

:laugh::laugh:
Hopefully they make that trade the same day the Flyers trade Giroux++ for Galchenyuk (also courtesy of: HF trade board)

That would be a big day:naughty:

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
It's about as cheap as you could get with aav and term. He's a good player that does stuff right like driving to the net. That kind of stuff is contagious. Far better than PEB or VDV.

Flyers1987

Apr 23, 2017
He accounts for 1.75 Million of the 75 Million ceiling cap or 2.33%. Striker just think.... Flyers could have nearly 43 Jordan Weals on the roster for that price if they cleared house. He could play goalie, backup goalie, defense, trainer, assistant coach, assistant GM, beer guy, center, wing, enforcer, etc. Only if there were 43 Weals out there.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Way I see it is you're paying a player in his prime -- who ravaged the AHL and was among the best Flyers in his SSS last year in both scoring, possession, etc. -- to score ~18-20 points. They gave Bellemare a contract for 250k less. It's basically zero risk. We have the cap space too. The fact that he did so much more than score, that he was a terror in the dirty areas, played good defense, transitioned well, and so on maybe shows he wasn't just riding some good luck and adrenaline. He legit played well.

If he plays like he did last year (not expecting 30 goal scoring) and looks the part of an NHLer and gets 30-40 points, depending on PP time, a role he's good at, it's a steal. If he shows it was just a SSS, it's no biggie. We signed Dale Weise to 4 years and $2.35 mil last year. Free agency really is that bad. Besides Justin Williams, who is on short fair deals at his age and still could cost almost $4 mil, you're overpaying for crap usually. Best usage of free agency is these high upside, bargain bin signings. What free agent has 30-40 point potential, on a deep team yet, and costs this much?

Yeah, I can't disagree with you but a lot of the games were garbage time in the season and it's his prime in terms of age but he has really no other comparator NHL-wise for whether his play was better / worse / neutral. Again, I'm happy he's back and it is really low-risk but IMHO is about $300-400 k too much.

Free agency is indeed that bad. The ED was a mess of meh player moving, some big moves happened around it and the draft, and now the teams seem to be settling into going through the flea market picking through the knick-knack pile.

BackWithaVengeance

Jan 19, 2008
Germany
Who would want them?
Read is done.
Raffl: same.
Weise: has some value but very little with 3 years left on that anvil contract. And he still can help the Flyers
Laughton: A guy who played 2 NHL games last year....his value is minimal and low now. Why move him anyway? He still has upside.

If Hextall can move Read or Raffl....God Bless Him!

Raffl is, on a contending team, a 3rd line winger who is responsible in his own end and good for 10-15 goals.

No way he has the same value as Read.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
If Hakstol is a Weal fan it can only mean one thing- He does the work.

Actually, that's how he got back to the Flyers, went down to LHV and did the work, got stronger, played more of a two way game, impressed Hextall and when the opportunity presented himself, took advantage of it.

Now let's hope the same works out with Laughton this year.

As far as "value," Read, Raffl, and Weise are all 20+ ES scorers who are good possession players and responsible defensively, and that's worth $2+M in today's NHL. Weal has the potential to be a slightly better offensive player than these three, though he's not as good of a skater as Read and less physical than Raffl and Weise. These are all solid candidates for bottom six lines.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA

Flyers1987

Apr 23, 2017
One of my favorite goals from any Flyer last year. Weal makes the defensive play, attacks and collapses the defense, dishes the puck out, and then the smallest guy on the ice sticks his nose in front of the net and gets rewarded.

[nhl2]c-50128403[/nhl2]

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
The points he'll get but he competes way harder then most of our forwards. Keep him away from perimeter g and v.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
They didn't play over Weal, as Cote said, Weal needs to play on a scoring line, put him on the 4th line in place of VdV, and he'd look just as bad as he did the year before.

When they got Filppula, they had a spot for Weal, with Simmonds on that line, Weal didn't have to face the abuse he'd see playing LW for G & V.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->