Recalled/Assigned: Jordan Schroeder sent down, Andrew Ebbett called up

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I thought all that counted was scoring? Or does what you said only apply to players not named Schroeder? Or better yet, is Schroeder supposed to turn Weise and Sestito into goal scorers?

Booth and Kassian helped generate both goals last night, they just weren't the ones who put the puck in the net.

I know the point you are trying to make, but I think Booth and Kassian have played very well for 4 or 5 games and the line was somewhat rewarded last game. It's more of an aside from Schroeder but I still feel like lumping them all in together is a mistake based on recent play.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
Honestly, this is for the best, given how AV used him for the past 5 games or so. He needs to get his confidence back. He was definitely forcing things and having trouble on the 4th line. (Don't think he deserved the demotion but that's par for the course with AV.)

Fat Tony

Fire Benning
Nov 28, 2011
I've never been a big fan of AV but it's kind of sad that a positive of this move is to get Schroeder away from him.

arsmaster*

He's going to learn nothing down there, he's already spent nearly 4 years there. Sorry he couldnt produce on the 4th line, and got shaky on the 1st unit when he gets his actual one minute of ice time. I dont think he fits on your team short term or long term, hopefully you guys move him at the deadline. Would be in the better interest of all parties involved.

I'm a big Schroeder fan too, but you're assessment that he has nothing left to learn is false.

He needs to learn to be more aggressive with his shot. He's still a passive, pass first player, who is limiting his own effectiveness by passing up on shots. He's not Henrik Sedin (although you could argue outside of the twins he probably is the best passer on the Canucks roster).

Jordan has to shoot the puck and shoot it often. It's not like he absolutely lights the AHL on fire either. I don't think his play earned the demotion to the 4th line, nor do I think they should have sent him down based on merit, but he's got a long way to go before he's an NHL regular anywhere. And to me the biggest issue his him not shooting.

I seem to remember a clip or an interview where Parise had told him he has to use his shot more, I'm pretty sure that clip is 2 years old now, and he still doesn't adhere to the advice.

I don't think trading him at the deadline is beneficial to all parties involved, because I don't think Jordan gets any better of a shot at the NHL this year anywhere else, and I also think he's a good player and will be in Vancouver for a long time. Just has to make a few tweaks to his game (hopefully Arniel lets him PK).

I think he just needs to shoot more, I've been saying it since the day he was called up, said it when things were going good, and will continue to say it.

He has a good shot, but "you don't score on 100% of the shots you don't take".

Wizeman*

You know, Byron Ritchie just finished a pretty good season in Switzerland...

lol

You guys thought Rome was AVs secret lover? Thats nothing compared to his man crush on Lord Byron.

I am certain hes already lobbied to bring him out of the Alps :laugh:

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
He needs to learn to be more aggressive with his shot. He's still a passive, pass first player, who is limiting his own effectiveness by passing up on shots. He's not Henrik Sedin (although you could argue outside of the twins he probably is the best passer on the Canucks roster).

Jordan has to shoot the puck and shoot it often. It's not like he absolutely lights the AHL on fire either. I don't think his play earned the demotion to the 4th line, nor do I think they should have sent him down based on merit, but he's got a long way to go before he's an NHL regular anywhere. And to me the biggest issue his him not shooting.
Wonder if that's what the coaching staff has told him to do - use his linemates more rather than trying to do it himself? He does seem willing to follow their advice with respect to play without the puck - so it's not he's not coachable.

Land O Lakes

Jan 8, 2013
He was putting up comparable numbers to Cody in the AHL (without spending alot of time - if any - in the 1st unit PP).

He was putting up numbers expected of a rookie playmaker wedged into a 4th line. What has Vancouver's record been since AV broke up the Raymond-JS-Hansen line -- your 3rd line that was producing like a first line? I can guarantee it's abysmal. If Schroeder was the issue, why once he was factored out of the lineup have the Canucks been doing worse? Shouldn't they be doing better if he was negatively affecting the team?

What happened was Kesler came back and AV broke up the Ray-JS-Hansen line to better accommodate Kesler. As a result he fixed something that wasn't broken and ruined that 3rd line, didnt make Kesler anymore productive in ES minutes as a result, and disrupted the development of Schroeder who was adjusting nicely while Vancouver was winning games. What puzzled me most is that AV never went back to that 3rd line. After Kesler got hurt you'd think since that opened up another center spot that would potentially give Schroeder a promotion, instead the next game he gets a demotion and a natural winger gets thrown in his center spot? Talk about a mind-f@&#.

Free Edler

Enjoy retirement, boys.
Feb 27, 2002
Surrey, BC
He has a good shot, but "you don't score on 100% of the shots you don't take".
Indeed.

6a00d83451f25369e20147e298dd1e970b-800wi

Askel

By the way Benning should be fired.
Apr 19, 2004
Malmö/Vancouver
Gillis needs to aqurie a center ASAP. You cant have wingers/rookies/AHLers/4thliners and expect success. Right now the Canucks have 1st line center a 4th line center and nothing in between. Its time to move one the extra wingers for a center or even 2.

Last edited:

arsmaster*

He was putting up numbers expected of a rookie playmaker wedged into a 4th line. What has Vancouver's record been since AV broke up the Raymond-JS-Hansen line -- your 3rd line that was producing like a first line? I can guarantee it's abysmal. If Schroeder was the issue, why once he was factored out of the lineup have the Canucks been doing worse? Shouldn't they be doing better if he was negatively affecting the team?

What happened was Kesler came back and AV broke up the Ray-JS-Hansen line to better accommodate Kesler. As a result he fixed something that wasn't broken and ruined that 3rd line, didnt make Kesler anymore productive in ES minutes as a result, and disrupted the development of Schroeder who was adjusting nicely while Vancouver was winning games. What puzzled me most is that AV never went back to that 3rd line. After Kesler got hurt you'd think since that opened up another center spot that would potentially give Schroeder a promotion, instead the next game he gets a demotion and a natural winger gets thrown in his center spot? Talk about a mind-f@&#.

That wasn't the issue though IMO.

It wasn't that they moved Raymond to C, it's that they put Jordan on the 4th line.

Too many minutes for Lappy was the issue.

The clear cut perfect spot for Jordan was in an offensive role with Kassian and Booth. We didn't see it, and we better not see Ebbett there or I'm gonna flip.

You're letting you're fandom of Schroeder cloud your judgement here IMO. We're all pissed he didn't get a good enough look with Kassian and Booth (almost seemed like a perfect spot for him), but he'll be back, I'm sure of it. And judging by how Jordan has handled things so far in his career, I don't doubt he'll adhere to their new goals they've probably given him and be much better moving forward.

BerSTUzzi

Jan 24, 2006
Kamloops
That wasn't the issue though IMO.

It wasn't that they moved Raymond to C, it's that they put Jordan on the 4th line.

Too many minutes for Lappy was the issue.

The clear cut perfect spot for Jordan was in an offensive role with Kassian and Booth. We didn't see it, and we better not see Ebbett there or I'm gonna flip.

You're letting you're fandom of Schroeder cloud your judgement here IMO. We're all pissed he didn't get a good enough look with Kassian and Booth (almost seemed like a perfect spot for him), but he'll be back, I'm sure of it. And judging by how Jordan has handled things so far in his career, I don't doubt he'll adhere to their new goals they've probably given him and be much better moving forward.

I agree, but the one thing that I just don't understand is why AV doesn't go back to the 6 game winning line-up(+ Booth)?

Sedins Kassian
Higgins Burrows Booth
Raymond Shredder Hansen (they were great together)
4th line

I'm not saying we need to promote Kassian because he's been a stud, just the lines were a lot better and Burrows faceoffs >> Raymond.

Oh well...I'm sure Ebbett will center Booth/Kassian.

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
Yeah, why give the kid a chance with skilled linemates... can't cut it with Weise and Sestito? Get sent down.

Ebbett, I'm sure, is the answer to all our problems.

AV can't be gone soon enough.

Land O Lakes

Jan 8, 2013
I'm a big Schroeder fan too, but you're assessment that he has nothing left to learn is false.

If he didn't learn to fire enough shots in open areas 3 years into the AHL, how is another 30 games in the AHL going to fix that? You're applying the same redundant remedy in hope of a different result.

He doesn't fit on the team plain and simple. AV and Gillis want to win now, with the pieces they have now. There's no room for patience in this scenario. If Schroeder shows flashes of rookie-ism his viability on the ice is put in question. That's not in the best interest of a player who's biggest issues are confidence and NHL-adjustment (huge contributing factors to being tense on the puck, gripping the stick, not shooting in areas when he should be). The pieces are there with his skillset. He's shown he can mesh into the NHL when given a chance and another foray in the AHL isnt going to help in any way with adjustment-related deficiencies.

I don't agree that he couldn't see job security as, at minimum, a 3rd line center on another NHL team. He's a first round prospect with loads of skill, a bottom feeder team would be silly not to give him a shot to see if he can develop that skill. Schroeder needs time to grow in the NHL if you want him to work out. Not more time back with Arniel. God please anything but that.

Last edited:

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
I would have preferred to see Sestito scratched and Sweatt brought up to see some speed on that 4th line.

Or the Canucks sign Gordon and give him a shot.

ayoshi

Nov 3, 2010
Letting Coyle get by him to set up the 4th Minny goal last night was probably the clincher lol

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Now we just need to send Kassian down in favor of Pinizzotto and the circle will be complete.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad