Player Discussion Jordan Oesterle

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
If Nurse can't earn himself a spot on this team in his 4th year post draft.

Sound the bust alarm. And sound it loud.

Don't give me this work on his game crap in the minor everyone barfs out.
I'll go with the trends thank you. And top 10 picks on defence that can't crack the team 4 years out of their draft.. bust like mofo's.

It's depressing.

I read this thread and there's a lot of people of the opinion that Nurse is on his way to bustville. And I'm not sure I disagree. I was overall disappointed with his season and lack of growth from start to finish.
Nurse is 21. He has 69 NHL games played and a handful of AHL games. We're not near declaring any kind of bust yet. Not all elite defensemen are great when they are this young and inexperienced

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
Nurse is 21. He has 69 NHL games played and a handful of AHL games. We're not near declaring any kind of bust yet. Not all elite defensemen are great when they are this young and inexperienced

Not all but most were. And EVERY top 10 pick that amounted to a quality NHL defender was playing on his NHL team in his fourth year.

Find me one who didn't.

If Nurse can't get into this **** pile of a defence.. he's a bust imo.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Not all but most were. And EVERY top 10 pick that amounted to a quality NHL defender was playing on his NHL team in his fourth year.

Find me one who didn't.

btw it hasn't even been three years since he was drafted. Lots of guys like Hedman and Fowler had a ton of defensive holes in their game and suspect decision making. It's amplified for Nurse because of the team he is on. He should have spent more time in the AHL but I dont consider him damaged goods

Jejune

Mar 7, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site

Find me one who didn't.

Wow overreaction.

Being a top 10 pick has nothing to do with it. Some players take longer from draft date to develop into dominant defensemen, and we knew all along he was a project that had a lot of good attributes but has to put it all together.

Just let him play where he is best suited and stop getting worked up because some silly stat says if you are a top 10 pick you must play in the NHL within 4 years or else you are a bust.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Oesterle-Davidson was our best pairing down the stretch. That's a capable pairing and their numbers showed they did a fine job. Not ideal to have them as your best pairing, but they stepped up and proved they could handle it.

It is scary seeing how many people are against Oesterle. The guy was our best breakout pass.

It's funny to see people rag on how small he is. Him and Keith are 1cm apart height wise. Oesterle will continue to get stronger and as he gets more used to the NHL game and gains confidence, he will show he is a NHL level player. He was always throwing the body around even though he's a small guy. He is an incredible skater (what the hell is Replacement going on about?) and he possesses offensive instincts.

The new NHL places a premium on puck moving defencemen, and he is one of our only players who excels at this.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Oesterle-Davidson was our best pairing down the stretch. That's a capable pairing and their numbers showed they did a fine job. Not ideal to have them as your best pairing, but they stepped up and proved they could handle it.

It is scary seeing how many people are against Oesterle. The guy was our best breakout pass.

It's funny to see people rag on how small he is. Him and Keith are 1cm apart height wise. Oesterle will continue to get stronger and as he gets more used to the NHL game and gains confidence, he will show he is a NHL level player. He was always throwing the body around even though he's a small guy. He is an incredible skater (what the hell is Replacement going on about?) and he possesses offensive instincts.

The new NHL places a premium on puck moving defencemen, and he is one of our only players who excels at this.

I am not against him just wasn't "overly" impressed with him. It was a small sample size where at times he still struggled a bit.

He is a #7 on a good team which is honestly a huge boost to where he was in the system. He has the potential to be more and is on everyone's radar. He took advantage of the oilers injury plagued year. Great to see our prospects doing this.

But too early to pencil into our starting lineup.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

Sorry but all of this is hyperbole. Also need to consider the context that Oesterle (and I don't know how many times it needs to be repeated) was only in the Oilers lineup due to appreciable injury. By no means is he considered NHL ready and you won't find a scout even saying that he's a given NHL player. The comparisons to Keith continue to be laughable. You're comparing Oesterle, who is shy to physical contact with Keith who just loves it. Theres no comparison with the physical compete level of the two players and never will be. They're not even remotely similar players.

That you think Oesterle excels as an NHL PMD tells me everything I Need about your take on this. Take off the rose colored glasses. This guy was fill. Somebody an org has to support the AHL, not the the NHL team.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Sorry but all of this is hyperbole. Also need to consider the context that Oesterle (and I don't know how many times it needs to be repeated) was only in the Oilers lineup due to appreciable injury. By no means is he considered NHL ready and you won't find a scout even saying that he's a given NHL player. The comparisons to Keith continue to be laughable. You're comparing Oesterle, who is shy to physical contact with Keith who just loves it. Theres no comparison with the physical compete level of the two players and never will be. They're not even remotely similar players.

That you think Oesterle excels as an NHL PMD tells me everything I Need about your take on this. Take off the rose colored glasses. This guy was fill. Somebody an org has to support the AHL, not the the NHL team.

I don't see how you can say Keith loves physical play while Oesterle shies away when Oesterle only made 5 less hits than Keith in 50 less games.

You know it's funny. Most NHL players if they're not coming in straight from the draft seem to get short stint callups due to injuries in their own organization before sticking with the big club, but you're acting as if that's a bad thing. Keith and Oesterle are similar sizes and Oesterle was on pace to throw far more hits this year. The guy takes the body plain and simple. He averaged almost 22 minutes a game and looked good doing it.

As a rookie defenceman of course he had shifts where he'd panic. Flub a pass or make a bad read. Him and Davidson were playing big minutes on a NHL team. They may have been one of the worst top pairing in the NHL but he was playing ahead of most of the D on our team.

If I was a betting man, he steps in next year and wins a #5 spot, and by the end of the season he is in our top 4...not because of lack of good D but because he improved. I'm one of the few posters who was high on Davidson to start the year because it was clear he has the tools to get better. And look how he ended up. He could've made the World Championship team if he stayed healthy. He's a damn solid D.

I feel the same way about Oesterle. It's clear to me he has the tools to succeed in the NHL and his play on the first pairing of a NHL team as a rookie was very impressive.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I don't see how you can say Keith loves physical play while Oesterle shies away when Oesterle only made 5 less hits than Keith in 50 less games.

I wouldn't read too much into NHL realtime stats. The tabulation differs from arena to arena and the measurement of what constitutes a hit is not standardized or substantiated with inter observer reliability.

But regardless, heres what Keith is EXCELLENT at. Retaining the puck as long as possible and actually attracting a hit and being able to hit a pass anywhere while he's about to be hit. If there was a trophy for taking a hit to make a play Keith would win every year going. He's god in that area, nobody does it better year in year out. That's what I mean about him accepting a physical game. He gets absoluted belted in playoffs, and just keeps making plays and playing huge minutes. The guy literally is incapable of hearing foot steps. it just doesn't impact him. Last year against the Ducks for instance you just wonder if theres any limit to the punishment Keith can take. There isn't apparently. As far as being able to absorb punishment and ask for more Keith is an ironman. He's OK at dishing it out as well and can get downright dirty. Not a criticism, he needs to be that way and theres enough ugly in his game where opponents need to worry about that.

Conversely Oesterle is very impacted by pressure and I'd encourage you to watch for that.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
love these scrub threads..
Oesterle is being compared to Keith now... fantastic..
Ethan Bear is Doughty 2.0 as well

duul

Jun 21, 2010
I wouldn't read too much into NHL realtime stats. The tabulation differs from arena to arena and the measurement of what constitutes a hit is not standardized or substantiated with inter observer reliability.

But regardless, heres what Keith is EXCELLENT at. Retaining the puck as long as possible and actually attracting a hit and being able to hit a pass anywhere while he's about to be hit. If there was a trophy for taking a hit to make a play Keith would win every year going. He's god in that area, nobody does it better year in year out. That's what I mean about him accepting a physical game. He gets absoluted belted in playoffs, and just keeps making plays and playing huge minutes. The guy literally is incapable of hearing foot steps. it just doesn't impact him. Last year against the Ducks for instance you just wonder if theres any limit to the punishment Keith can take. There isn't apparently. As far as being able to absorb punishment and ask for more Keith is an ironman. He's OK at dishing it out as well and can get downright dirty. Not a criticism, he needs to be that way and theres enough ugly in his game where opponents need to worry about that.

Conversely Oesterle is very impacted by pressure and I'd encourage you to watch for that.

I will rewatch some of the games near the end of the season and pay close attention to that. I did not notice him succumb to the forecheck really. I noticed him and Davidson both were capable of shifty little moves to break away from the forechecker and look for a breakout pass directly after.

As for Draiskull...who ever said Oesterle is as good as Keith or will become a player of similar impact to him? I mentioned their careers have been eerily similar and they play (in my opinion) a very similar style. Their size is the same and they both skate similarly. I would mistake Oesterle for a young Duncan Keith.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I will rewatch some of the games near the end of the season and pay close attention to that. I did not notice him succumb to the forecheck really. I noticed him and Davidson both were capable of shifty little moves to break away from the forechecker and look for a breakout pass directly after.

As for Draiskull...who ever said Oesterle is as good as Keith or will become a player of similar impact to him? I mentioned their careers have been eerily similar and they play (in my opinion) a very similar style. Their size is the same and they both skate similarly. I would mistake Oesterle for a young Duncan Keith.

Except as I've pointed out a couple of times now, they're careers weren't eerily similar. By the age that Oesterle is now Keith already had two full seasons under his belt and was a top pairing d-man playing 24 minutes a night.

It's such a bizarre player to try and draw comparisons to.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Keith didn't "break out" until he was 26. He certainly wasn't playing top pairing minutes. I can just as easily say Oesterle was playing ~22 minutes a game in his rookie season at 23. If Oesterle had played the entire season he would have been on pace for a similar amount of points Keith put up in his first 3 years in the NHL.

Keith had his first full season in the NHL at 22. Oesterle is 23 and showed in his 17 games that he is a capable NHL defenceman. Their point totals in 1st and 2nd AHL seasons are eerie. Their point totals in their first NHL season (projected for Oesterle) are eerily similar.

Here's a video of Keith in 2010. I see an incredible similarity between his and Oesterle's skating styles.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006

I think your passion for Oesterle is great...I'm not sold on him, but I saw some positive signs in his game. Maybe if you want to get a better reception, comparing him to one of the best defenseman of this decade might be a bad start...

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Keith didn't "break out" until he was 26. He certainly wasn't playing top pairing minutes. I can just as easily say Oesterle was playing ~22 minutes a game in his rookie season at 23. If Oesterle had played the entire season he would have been on pace for a similar amount of points Keith put up in his first 3 years in the NHL.

Keith had his first full season in the NHL at 22. Oesterle is 23 and showed in his 17 games that he is a capable NHL defenceman. Their point totals in 1st and 2nd AHL seasons are eerie. Their point totals in their first NHL season (projected for Oesterle) are eerily similar.

Here's a video of Keith in 2010. I see an incredible similarity between his and Oesterle's skating styles.

Duncan Keith in his second full season played 82 games, put up 31 points and played 23:35 a game. If that's not first pair, I don't know what is.

This is such a pointless debate. You see similarities because you want to see them. But there is nothing there between the two players. It's a ridiculous comparison.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Duncan Keith in his second full season played 82 games, put up 31 points and played 23:35 a game. If that's not first pair, I don't know what is.

This is such a pointless debate. You see similarities because you want to see them. But there is nothing there between the two players. It's a ridiculous comparison.

Oesterle was on pace for 34 points in a 82 game season while playing 22 minutes a game in his rookie season. Let's see how he fares in his sophomore and then revisit this thread.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Oesterle was on pace for 34 points in a 82 game season while playing 22 minutes a game in his rookie season. Let's see how he fares in his sophomore and then revisit this thread.
*24 points. Not 34.

You're seriously trying to extrapolate 17 throw away games at the end of another lost season?

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
*24 points. Not 34.

You're seriously trying to extrapolate 17 throw away games at the end of another lost season?

Plus how many of those points had McDavid or Halls name on them? But yeah, this was cleanup part of the year when a good proportion of games don't mean much and when some clubs are even not bothered by losing..

In anycase extrapolation from short sample probably doesn't mean a lot.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
*24 points. Not 34.

Sorry you're right. 24. Typo.

If anything I would venture to say over the course of a 82 game season he would have got better and adapted to the NHL game, allowing his PPG to increase.

There were maybe two posters who were high on Davidson even when he was an AHL player. Nobody gave him any credit and some still don't after he was our #1 defenceman playing like a true top pairing guy.

I see it in Oesterle as well. His puck moving skills and skating alone will allow him to carve out a nice NHL career for himself. I'm willing to make an avatar bet with anybody around Jordan Oesterle.

The nonsense about teams and players not caring about the end of the season games is exactly that - nonsense. Show me a player dedicated enough to make it to the NHL. You won't see any of them interested in taking games off because the season is coming to a close.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

I thought Oesterle played poorly towards the end of the season. I thought he was feeling the forecheck and starting to struggle.

you have to keep in mind Oesterle is an unknown quantity for opponents. Not knowing his tendencies he can have some success for some games, some shifts. Until NHL scouting starts to spot some weaknesses and which would not even occur yet in such limited segment. Give a guy like Oesterle 40 games and all the not up to NHL game warts come out.

I really doubt Oesterle, getting consistently hammered into the endboards behind his own net would be taking all those hits and still making plays.

The Bored Man

5-14-6-1
Jul 2, 2009
Edmonton
love these scrub threads..
Oesterle is being compared to Keith now... fantastic..
Ethan Bear is Doughty 2.0 as well

Preach! Of all the possible comparables for B-level prospects, let's use the two best defencemen of the last five years.

tqzGqEg.jpg

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Preach! Of all the possible comparables for B-level prospects, let's use the two best defencemen of the last five years.

tqzGqEg.jpg

Was Jultz Hedman? Or just Norris worthy?

Comparisons are invariably pointless. Unless its a player agent making them. Everybody is Bobby Orr or Phil Esposito if it means an agent getting more money. :D

duul

Jun 21, 2010
The only comparison I've made of Keith and Oesterle is their size, skating, and physicality. People are taking this a bit too far. I'm in no way claiming Oesterle is going to be a top pairing player in the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00