Player Discussion Jordan Oesterle

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Bumping. He's called up again. In his short stints this year he looked to be (in my opinion) our best puck moving defenceman. There are aspects of his game that need some work, but I believe he is close to breaking out.

I know I posted his career trajectory being similar to Duncan Keith's so far, and I do believe he is ready to make a big jump. You can tell he just needs some NHL time to solidify that fact. He skates very well and makes a great breakout pass. I hope he gets a string of games to see what he's made of.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Bumping. He's called up again. In his short stints this year he looked to be (in my opinion) our best puck moving defenceman. There are aspects of his game that need some work, but I believe he is close to breaking out.

I know I posted his career trajectory being similar to Duncan Keith's so far, and I do believe he is ready to make a big jump. You can tell he just needs some NHL time to solidify that fact. He skates very well and makes a great breakout pass. I hope he gets a string of games to see what he's made of.

Yup, I really like the player. Osterle is at a bit of a cross roads being that hes leftie in a sea of left handed Oilers D. So he might get left out in the cold come next year depending on our offseason moves. I believe he should be in an NHL lineup tho and he probably knows that as well. Id like to see him given some more chances this season (maybe just as 7th D or injury fill in) to see what hes got. If he proves well enough maybe you become ok with moving Davidson + Russel to make room for him.

I have a bad feeling this guy could be our Stralman. Let him go next year because of lack of room and he breaks out elsewhere. But right now hes a pretty solid puck mover and defensively hes actually pretty solid. Stilla bit soft and spotty with coverage but no major issues

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
Yup, I really like the player. Osterle is at a bit of a cross roads being that hes leftie in a sea of left handed Oilers D. So he might get left out in the cold come next year depending on our offseason moves. I believe he should be in an NHL lineup tho and he probably knows that as well. Id like to see him given some more chances this season (maybe just as 7th D or injury fill in) to see what hes got. If he proves well enough maybe you become ok with moving Davidson + Russel to make room for him.

I have a bad feeling this guy could be our Stralman. Let him go next year because of lack of room and he breaks out elsewhere. But right now hes a pretty solid puck mover and defensively hes actually pretty solid. Stilla bit soft and spotty with coverage but no major issues

i think Chia has a pretty good idea of his worth and is going to give him NHL time to leverage him into a trade when he looks good.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
i think Chia has a pretty good idea of his worth and is going to give him NHL time to leverage him into a trade when he looks good.

I still think thats risky. His value league wide is probably a low, low round pick and even if he plays good for 15 games he probably wont return anything north of a 4th round pick

Hes also an RFA at the end of this year, so I guess we have leverage to sign him again. But ill bet hes looking for a 1 year deal

Damn if feels good to have depth at D though.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Another potential scenario is that Chiarelli is hiding him from LV. All eyes are on Davidson who is a great player, but honestly I think Oesterle has higher potential.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Another potential scenario is that Chiarelli is hiding him from LV. All eyes are on Davidson who is a great player, but honestly I think Oesterle has higher potential.

Tahtd be a ballsy move by LV to take a 17 game tested Osterle. But honestly it could really pay off. There is just a lot more proven D available (even if Osterle has some great tools)

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Tahtd be a ballsy move by LV to take a 17 game tested Osterle. But honestly it could really pay off. There is just a lot more proven D available (even if Osterle has some great tools)

The only way that would make sense is if they heavily scouted him and thought there was a significant player there and if he can go down without waivers next season, which would give them excellent flexibility.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
I'll be honest, I'm still struggling with the idea that Oesterle is someone worth drooling over.

When I watch him I see a college trained guy that can skate well and passes it OK, but I really don't much of a offensive ceiling with him. I guess I could see him as a smaller, better skating Tom Gilbert which I guess would be OK.

I certainly don't have him penciled into the 17/18 opening day lineup, that's for sure.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Oesterle has looked solid when I watched him last season. I don't think it's a case of drooling over him or over-hyping him.

He just looks like a solid dman with upside to show even more when I watch him.

The Oilers really don't need to hit homeruns (although it would be nice of course if at least 1 dman went nuclear)... all they need is to have some solid defensive depth with dmen in those #6/#7/#8 spots that don't hurt the team when injuries hit and they are pushed into the lineup and up the roster a notch or two.

If Oesterle can just hold his own defensively on the bottom pairing... that's solid... any offense he creates is gravy and not really to be expected at this stage... but it looks like he could have some of that element in his game as well.

With Benning and Davidson looking good in the top 6... Oesterle is nice depth to have when further injuries occur and gives the team flexibility.

If Reinhart pans out to at least a #6 dman level as well... the Oilers could legitimately have the deepest LHD group in the NHL.. and certainly at that point maybe a move or two could be made to alleviate some of the other areas of need on the team.

Having too many good, young, cheap dmen is an excellent problem and hopefully Oesterle is part of that problem for the Oilers going forward.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad