Player Discussion Jordan Oesterle

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Not his best game tonight but still fairly solid. Definitely needs to bury that feed he got from McDavid in the slot. That goal goes in on the Oilers 100 times out of 100. Think he could develop into a solid D with a little more work. Definitely has the skating, passing, and decision making to be an NHL, just needs a little more strength and probably a little work on his shot.

cbzblaze

Nov 26, 2015
Calgary
Good hands, good stick, good skating. Has looked solid, hope he can build on it. I can see him and Davidson being a really good bottom pair for us next year.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
We don't know what we have in these players until they get NHL assignments. Some may steal jobs from the guys in the NHL. Davidson and Oesterle are some examples.

Oesterle most definitely isn't. Defensively he's a nightmare and precludes his ever being an NHL WC D. Just not enough upside to do it and to counter his holes there'd have to be huge offensive intangibles. This is just a fill player we see when we have immense injury trouble. Really if you see Oesterle in an Oiler lineup again its a sign of how little has been done to improve the D.

As far as present thread its nice to see the board maintain some perspective on a free agent college signing. Usually this board just trumps up these offseason signings. hfboards and all.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Oesterle most definitely isn't. Defensively he's a nightmare and precludes his ever being an NHL WC D. Just not enough upside to do it and to counter his holes there'd have to be huge offensive intangibles. This is just a fill player we see when we have immense injury trouble. Really if you see Oesterle in an Oiler lineup again its a sign of how little has been done to improve the D.

As far as present thread its nice to see the board maintain some perspective on a free agent college signing. Usually this board just trumps up these offseason signings. hfboards and all.

I made a post before showing the career paths of Keith and Oesterle. Almost identical. Similar style of play, similar size, nearly identical point production and skating style.

Unlikely Oesterle becomes anything close to a Keith, but to say his defensive play precludes him being a capable defenceman is asinine. Give him another year.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012

Is the 1st part real? Dude just literally before everbodies eyes showed he was an NHL D and has almost no defensive issues. I had to check to make sure that post wasnt from September 2015. I know you declare yourself a big "eye test" person, so this blows my mind that someone can watch a player and have this sentiment. Goes against everyones elses viewing and also the stats

If Osterle is on the Oilers next year its because a) hes proved somewhat this year he can be a regular D and B) had a good offseason and continued to develop

Neatman

Mar 9, 2011

Osterle was massively improved by the end of last season. I wouldn't mind having him around as a #7D or the top AHL call up to see what else he can prove.

Prior to last season he was an embarrassment on the ice. I would hate to let someone that improved that much slip away without seeing what he can amount to first.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I made a post before showing the career paths of Keith and Oesterle. Almost identical. Similar style of play, similar size, nearly identical point production and skating style.

Unlikely Oesterle becomes anything close to a Keith, but to say his defensive play precludes him being a capable defenceman is asinine. Give him another year.

Almost identical? By the time Keith was Oesterle's age he had 2 full NHL seasons under his belt and had just come off a 31 point season where he was playing 24 minutes a night.

There's nothing remotely comparable about these two players. Literally not a single thing. And it's laughable to say their skating style is nearly identical. Keith is one of the best skating d-men of this generation. Oesterle's skating is mediocre at best.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Almost identical? By the time Keith was Oesterle's age he had 2 full NHL seasons under his belt and had just come off a 31 point season where he was playing 24 minutes a night.

There's nothing remotely comparable about these two players. Literally not a single thing. And it's laughable to say their skating style is nearly identical. Keith is one of the best skating d-men of this generation. Oesterle's skating is mediocre at best.

I think to compare Osterle to Keith is out there. But Osterles skating is a considerable plus and one of best skaters on the Oilers

(general talk)
Osterle is no solidified top 4 NHL D. He had a good 17 game stint and proven he can play in the NHL, that is unquestioned. He has not solified himself a spot but has built a solid argument for him being in the NHL. He has good tools and a smart player. He can 100% make the NHL next year if he has a good offseason ( prospects progress each offseason) and takes off where he left off. He could very well be a dependable #6 or even #5 if all goes well. This is not some massive deal but still a great thing to have.

duul

Jun 21, 2010

Here was my post on the two players from a couple months ago.

Something I have noticed about Oesterle...

He reminds me a lot of Duncan Keith. Left shot, very similar build. Smallish defencemen with a very similar skating style. They both do not shy away from physical confrontation and seem to focus on being good at all areas of the game.

Taking a look at their career paths, it's uncanny. Oesterle played a year of junior, then three years of college, then to the AHL for the past two seasons.

Keith spent two years in junior, two years in college, and then to the AHL for two years.

Same ages, near identical path. Here are their numbers.

Norfolk Admirals AHL 75 7 18 25
Norfolk Admirals AHL 79 9 17 26

Oklahoma City Barons AHL 65 8 17 25
Bakersfield Condors* AHL 42 3 20 23

Keep in mind Oesterle has had a few call ups last year and this year, which would have had him playing very similar games played and probably putting up a few more points than Keith.

Now to the NHL. It wasn't until Keith's fourth NHL season that he started to really take off. He put up 21, 31, 32 points respectively in his first three NHL years playing all but one game.

Oesterle, if he played the full year, would be on pace for ~30 points.

Right now Oesterle plays like a very young Duncan Keith. Watching old Duncan Keith videos there is certainly a comparison to be made. If Oesterle puts on some weight and spends a couple years working on his skating while continuing to figure out the NHL game, we might have a player here.

MuzzaFuzza

MVP(s)
Apr 20, 2012
Red Deer

This is wrong

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
This is wrong

Point to me where I'm wrong?

This was Jordan Oesterle's 23 year old season. He turns 24 in June.

Duncan Keith was born July 1983. At the start of the 2006/07 season he had just turned 23. He played 81 games, scored 31 points and played 23:35 per game. It was his second full season in the NHL.

Keith played two years of AHL hockey as a 20 and 21 year old and his 22 and 23 year old seasons in the NHL. Oesterle as a 20 and 21 year old was in college, as a 22 and 23 year old he's been in the AHL with a couple cups of coffee in the NHL.

Am I missing something here?

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

Asinine eh? A pint sized D that's not a particularly good skater and only average at moving the puck, that isn't talented in anyway is not going to go far at all on a WC team. His EVGA has been high here last year and this year. Particularly with Talbot in net nearly all of his segment this year I'm a bit leary about 2.5EVGA/60mins. Really when we lose the puck this guy is an adventure. Lets just be kind and say he's slightly better with the puck than without it.

BTW the comparison to Keith is just absolutely laughable. Particularly because Keith is strong as an ox, loves physical contact and plays right through any number of hits while the weak Oesterle gets overwhelmed with physical contract and is bad in puck battles.

Is the 1st part real? Dude just literally before everbodies eyes showed he was an NHL D and has almost no defensive issues. I had to check to make sure that post wasnt from September 2015. I know you declare yourself a big "eye test" person, so this blows my mind that someone can watch a player and have this sentiment. Goes against everyones elses viewing and also the stats

If Osterle is on the Oilers next year its because a) hes proved somewhat this year he can be a regular D and B) had a good offseason and continued to develop

What complete nonsense.

Citing make believe plurality to try to make a point. :shakehead

This is a small D that gets overwhelmed with WC forcheck and who's game literally falls apart if he plays appreciable minutes or too many games in a row. The guy can do maybe 5-10 games before you start wondering why he's up in the show.

Last edited:

JordanGalhanth

Apr 21, 2012
Can someone please call up that ancient Blackhawks thread where Chicago fans were flaming Keith voraciously?

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
It's weird.

Davidson was 7 d material last year at this time but Oesterle was essentially a 2nd tier AHLr who I can't remember a single person really being high on for even an AHL spot this year.

MuzzaFuzza

MVP(s)
Apr 20, 2012
Red Deer
Point to me where I'm wrong?

This was Jordan Oesterle's 23 year old season. He turns 24 in June.

Duncan Keith was born July 1983. At the start of the 2006/07 season he had just turned 23. He played 81 games, scored 31 points and played 23:35 per game. It was his second full season in the NHL.

Keith played two years of AHL hockey as a 20 and 21 year old and his 22 and 23 year old seasons in the NHL. Oesterle as a 20 and 21 year old was in college, as a 22 and 23 year old he's been in the AHL with a couple cups of coffee in the NHL.

Am I missing something here?

Yes, which means that Keith didn't have two full seasons under his belt, and one 31 point season, when he was Oesterle's age. He had one, not that it matters cause Oesterle will never be a top 4 dman let alone a Norris contender like Keith

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Yes, which means that Keith didn't have two full seasons under his belt, and one 31 point season, when he was Oesterle's age. He had one, not that it matters cause Oesterle will never be a top 4 dman let alone a Norris contender like Keith

Maybe my post wasn't clear?

By the end of his 23 year old season (which Oesterle just finished now) Duncan Keith had just finished his second full season in the league and had put up 31 points.

I don't think I've been wrong at any point.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
Oesterle deserves a chance to play 3rd pairing minutes with Davidson.

They were a promising pair before Davidson's injury.

I generally don't mind him.

If he can keep playing his offside at a decent clip, I'd be okay with a timeshare on the No.6 spot where he's playing some nights and Gryba is playing some nights.

Last edited:

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Oesterle deserves a chance to play 3rd pairing minutes with Davidson.

They were a promising pair before Davidson's injury.

I generally don't mind him.

If he can keep playing his offside at a decent clip, I'd be okay with a timeshare on the No.6 spot where he's playing some nights and Gryba is playing some nights.

Frankly, I have Osterle pencilled in as the #7 (atleast) for this team, given his skill set, seems like the perfect fit for that spot.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
You need 10 NHL ready Dmen in your organization. Oesterle is just that.. A call up WHEN (not if) the injuries occur.

We need 7 Dmen up on the big club, one of Reinhart\Nurse, Oesterle in AHL. Hopefully someone else down in AHL takes a step up and deserves a cup of tea in the NHL... Simpson or Laleggia I hope. There really isnt much in the AHL aside from Oesterle.

Chia just wouldnt be doing his job if Oesterle makes the big club as a #7 next season

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Frankly, I have Osterle pencilled in as the #7 (atleast) for this team, given his skill set, seems like the perfect fit for that spot.
Perfect fit? A pint sized D with average speed and passing ability is a poor fit for WC play and even poorer for a D slotting in where others have to make up for his deficits.

You need 10 NHL ready Dmen in your organization. Oesterle is just that.. A call up WHEN (not if) the injuries occur.

We need 7 Dmen up on the big club, one of Reinhart\Nurse, Oesterle in AHL. Hopefully someone else down in AHL takes a step up and deserves a cup of tea in the NHL... Simpson or Laleggia I hope. There really isnt much in the AHL aside from Oesterle.

Chia just wouldnt be doing his job if Oesterle makes the big club as a #7 next season
Yeah, this all day. If Oesterle makes this club next year you know we got another dog D corps and another long season ahead.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Perfect fit? A pint sized D with average speed and passing ability is a poor fit for WC play and even poorer for a D slotting in where others have to make up for his deficits.
Fair enough, I guess you don't think much of him, and that's fine for you.

Yeah, this all day. If Oesterle makes this club next year you know we got another dog D corps and another long season ahead.
I would say if Osterle is in the NHL, he likely earned his spot, it's also likely that both Reinhart and Nurse are in the AHL.

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012

Considering our recent options for bottom pairing he'd be a massive improvement if he can keep his play consistent with his last call up. What was he getting for minutes again? +1 in 17 games with this club? Him making the team shouldn't be seen as a negative if he can keep up his play from this season.

Last time I checked there is a place for lighter dmen who can skate, use their sticks and move the puck in a proficient manner.

Last edited:

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Considering our recent options for bottom pairing he'd be a massive improvement if he can keep his play consistent with his last call up. What was he getting for minutes again? +1 in 17 games with this club? Him making the team shouldn't be seen as a negative if he can keep up his play from this season.

His +1 would be due to players he's on ice with and he was used with some of our better forwards almost exclusively. Despite him having very little upside offensively ever.

To be clear this is a bad club with few options (and injuries) using what they figure is the best option available, but of a player that wouldn't be having a sniff at NHL play in a better org. Oesterles expected zenith is AHL. No scout, ever, has figured this is an NHL player. Nor has he looked like one in his stints here. Guy can pull off a game here and there due to being an unknown. But would get eaten alive by NHL scouting and targeted pressure. In very little time here any use of a player such as Oesterle would be seen and targeted as weak link.

edit to edit. Oesterle is not a particularly good skater, small D typically have a place in NHL only if they have sublime offensive skills and hands of which Oesterle has none and never has had.

Oesterle can move the puck when he has time. Take that time away and he's dead in the water. That's what would happen if opponents thought him to even be a factor.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad