Player Discussion Jordan Oesterle

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
Nurse is 21. He has 69 NHL games played and a handful of AHL games. We're not near declaring any kind of bust yet. Not all elite defensemen are great when they are this young and inexperienced
Shea Weber didn't break out until year 4 post draft. Chara was 7 years. Josi was 7.
Silly to discount a defenseman before the age of 25

Bangers

May 31, 2006
Shea Weber didn't break out until year 4 post draft. Chara was 7 years. Josi was 7.
Silly to discount a defenseman before the age of 25

Weber - one of the best shots in the NHL
Chara- biggest and strongest (ever?) NHL player
Josi- NHL size and was an NHL-level passer when he was drafted (would likely have been a 1st round pick if he'd played in Sweden or Finland)

I agree with you in principle, but usually the players who develop into elite defenders have at least one or two top-level 'tools'; I don't see that in Oesterle. And that's fine - he can still turn into a legit bottom pairing defender who can play on the PP.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
When Oesterle was on ice: 48% Corsi
When Oesterle was off ice: 46.8% Corsi

When Oesterle was on ice: 47.9% Fenwick
When Oesterle was off ice: 45.8% Fenwick

When Oesterle was on ice: 52.2% GF
When Oesterle was off ice: 42.5% GF

Give him a chance in training camp to seize a spot. Davidson-Oesterle showed promise and these numbers suggest we have something here. I think we are in good shape if our 5/6/7/8 is Davidson, Oesterle, Gryba and Nurse (unless Nurse is better off in Bakersfield as their No.1...we can always give LaLeggia or Simpson a look too). It'll be nice to have competition.

If Nurse and Reinhart are in the top 4 in Bakersfield, the development and depth will be the strongest its been in a long time.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
When Oesterle was on ice: 48% Corsi
When Oesterle was off ice: 46.8% Corsi

When Oesterle was on ice: 47.9% Fenwick
When Oesterle was off ice: 45.8% Fenwick

When Oesterle was on ice: 52.2% GF
When Oesterle was off ice: 42.5% GF

Give him a chance in training camp to seize a spot. Davidson-Oesterle showed promise and these numbers suggest we have something here. I think we are in good shape if our 5/6/7/8 is Davidson, Oesterle, Gryba and Nurse (unless Nurse is better off in Bakersfield as their No.1...we can always give LaLeggia or Simpson a look too). It'll be nice to have competition.

If Nurse and Reinhart are in the top 4 in Bakersfield, the development and depth will be the strongest its been in a long time.

Interesting numbers. Can you post Davidson's as well?

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Weber - one of the best shots in the NHL
Chara- biggest and strongest (ever?) NHL player
Josi- NHL size and was an NHL-level passer when he was drafted (would likely have been a 1st round pick if he'd played in Sweden or Finland)

I agree with you in principle, but usually the players who develop into elite defenders have at least one or two top-level 'tools'; I don't see that in Oesterle. And that's fine - he can still turn into a legit bottom pairing defender who can play on the PP.

The post you quoted was related to a poster suggesting Nurse is a bust because "not NHL top-4, something something, grumble, bust, grumble"

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
Interesting numbers. Can you post Davidson's as well?

Davidson on ice: 52% Corsi
Davidson off ice: 48.8% Corsi

Davidson on ice: 51.7% Fenwick
Davidson off ice: 48% Fenwick

Davidson on ice: 52.9% GF
Davidson off ice: 39.3% GF

McWeber

Mouthbreather
Jul 14, 2015
Lethbridge
Davidson on ice: 52% Corsi
Davidson off ice: 48.8% Corsi

Davidson on ice: 51.7% Fenwick
Davidson off ice: 48% Fenwick

Davidson on ice: 52.9% GF
Davidson off ice: 39.3% GF

Wow, I know Davidson had good advanced stats but the GF is pretty crazy considering his situation.

Bangers

May 31, 2006
The post you quoted was related to a poster suggesting Nurse is a bust because "not NHL top-4, something something, grumble, bust, grumble"

Ahhh... I misread it and thought it was about Oesterle. In that case, I agree. Nurse already has NHL size (with room to fill out still) and toughness and elite NHL skating for a defender. If he can work on his shot over the summer, improve his positioning and develop some consistency, he could definitely impress next season.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta

Recalled today, with Fayne being activated and sent to Bake.

I assume this is just incase one of the other D is unable to play while Sekera is out. Would be interesting though to see him get a look. He does skate well and move the puck well, and despite a tough start to the year with an injury he has 3-5-8 in 14GP in Bakersfield.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Sux 2 b Reinhart

Please choose him Vegas.

In reality though, this could be a cap move. Fayne was ready to be activated so they bury 925k in the AHL on him and call up Oesterle for his 585k cap hit over Reinhart's 863k hit. I don't see Reinhart getting a call up unless he really earns it or unless we get decimated by injuries. There's a few other guys in Bakersfield with cheaper cap hits to sit as the #7D.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007

Recalled again...but I believe Davidson missed practice yesterday; I am unsure if he's injured again, picked up Sekera's flu bug or what.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Rather see Oesterle in the lineup than Benning or Gryba.

Edit: But then again I was also one of the few people who liked Brad Hunt lol.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Oesterle looked very good in his time up with the Oilers. Like Davidson... he has the potential to be a solid top 4 dman and I hope he continues his good play in his time up here this season.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Hopefully he plays. With the team lacking that true go-to offensive defencemen, having one on each pairing helps spread out the responsibility.

Klefbom-Larsson
Sekera-Russell
Davidson-Oesterle

Getting a consistent attack from Klefbom, Sekera, and Oesterle should help out the attack, which has been sputtering of late.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

Recalled today, with Fayne being activated and sent to Bake.

I assume this is just incase one of the other D is unable to play while Sekera is out. Would be interesting though to see him get a look. He does skate well and move the puck well, and despite a tough start to the year with an injury he has 3-5-8 in 14GP in Bakersfield.

Did Sekera get hurt again? Played the other night

The Batman

Registered Superhero
Sep 30, 2014
Batcave
Oilers recall Oesterle

https://www.nhl.com/oilers/news/oilers-recall-oesterle/c-285722918?tid=281885168

The Edmonton Oilers have recalled defenceman Jordan Oesterle from the American Hockey League's (AHL) Bakersfield Condors.

Oesterle, 24, has appeared in 23 career NHL games with Edmonton, registering six assists.

The Dearborn Heights, Michigan native has appeared in 18 games with the Condors this season, posting 11 points (3G, 8A) and four penalty minutes.

The 6'0", 182-pound defenceman has appeared in 131 career AHL games, accumulating 62 points (16G, 46A) and 24 penalty minutes. He has also played in 11 career playoff games, recording four points (1G, 3A) and eight penalty minutes.

PossessedHockeyCard*

Aug 11, 2016
Edmonton
Finally
I kept telling everyone that he was the best d-man in preseason.
Only reason I could think of sending him down this season was to protect him in the vegas draft, so he'll go un-noticed this season

I take Oesterle over Davidson all day

Can't wait to see him play if he gets the chance

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad